Grill/Smoker

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Grill/Smoker

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:09 pm

I need some help finding a grill/smoker combo that fits our needs. Most of the time just cooking for two. But........during the spring and summer we like to cook for family and friends. I want to retire the old basic kettle grill, and move to something more versitile. Any info would be great.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Grill/Smoker

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Rich777 wrote:I need some help finding a grill/smoker combo that fits our needs. Most of the time just cooking for two. But........during the spring and summer we like to cook for family and friends. I want to retire the old basic kettle grill, and move to something more versitile. Any info would be great.

Rich,
What's the budget like? A Ceramic will run around $600. A WSM, about $220(?). And what's your preferred heat source, wood, lump, gas, electric?
Fill us in and we'll give you our biased opinions :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:21 pm

Rich,
Let me know where in TX you are. I may know a few guys that can help depending on where you are.
I'm in Dallas.
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Grill/Smoker

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:50 pm

Dats and Bone,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am in Hainsville, Texas just outside of Quitman. I would like to stay in the 700-800 dollar range.
Dats I use the lump, tried gas and just could not get the hang of it. I burned alot more meat than I cooked. I have looked at creamic and wondered if it was the same as gas.
I like to cook slow-enjoy a beverage and company.
I would like a gas burner on the side for fries, beans, etc.
Let it fly guys,what should I look for? :)
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:18 pm

A ceramic wood fit your budget. Not a gasser, it's all about lump. Makes a great smoker but your cooking space is pretty much limited to a packer, a butt, or 3 racks of ribs. It's just 2 folks here most of the time, but I've feed 25 with a briskett. Can also grill, temps between 550 and 650 easily obtainable- for steaks it's great. I use mine almost exclusively for smoking. Haven't really done any grilling for a year or more. They will hold temp with very little baby sitting.

Get one of those turkery fryer gismo's for your side burner and build it in to your set up.

I won't speak to all the others, cause I just don't know about them. I'm sure those folks will chime in 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bonehunts USER_AVATAR
bonehunts
Wrangler

Postby bonehunts » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Rich, depending on how handy you are, you could always rig something together on your own.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a Lifetyme offset smoker and a King Kooker table top 2-burner gas set-up and build an island or cart around it.

We've done that for several buddies in the past with excellent results. The beauty of that is you can always use charcoal in the belly of the pit if you want to grill or use lump in the firebox if you want to smoke.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Why not get Ratmo to fix you up with a custom job?

For store bought smokers - I have a Southern Style (the Grill Dr carries this brand) in about your price range...just depends on what suits your fancy.

Many, many offset choices, they cook a little slower than the uprights.

Lots of guys cook on Green Eggs and WSMs.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Grill/smoker

Postby Rich777 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. Dats, I have not seen a ceramic like the one you have. The ones I looked at were ceramic heating elements.
The setup you have is nice.. that is what Iam looking for. Never thought about the turkey fryer setup, for side dishes.
HHHHMMMMM, thinking about a home-built unit.
Wife SHAKING HER HEAD , no more cooking stuff!
:lol: :lol: :D
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Grill/smoker

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:16 pm

Rich777 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Dats, I have not seen a ceramic like the one you have. The ones I looked at were ceramic heating elements.
The setup you have is nice.. that is what Iam looking for. Never thought about the turkey fryer setup, for side dishes.
HHHHMMMMM, thinking about a home-built unit.
Wife SHAKING HER HEAD , no more cooking stuff!
:lol: :lol: :D

Check out the gallery on the link in the signature line. Links to Primo, BGE and the original Kamado are under the respective pits. Links to other manufacuters can be found too.

In the end, its personal preference. I've eaten darn good Q that came off an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) and was less than impressed with stuff that came out of a 12K Commercial cooker. It has more to do with the pitboss than with the cooker.
Deputy Dave

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:30 am

Gator wrote:Why not get Ratmo to fix you up with a custom job?

For store bought smokers - I have a Southern Style (the Grill Dr carries this brand) in about your price range...just depends on what suits your fancy.

Many, many offset choices, they cook a little slower than the uprights.

Lots of guys cook on Green Eggs and WSMs.

I'm sure he can put a grate inside the firebox so you can use that as a grill AND you have a smoker as well
ratmo USER_AVATAR
Ratmo
Wrangler

Postby Ratmo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:26 am

Thanks for the props guys!
As a matter of fact, the last 5 or 6 ive built have had the grill/smoker.
Here is one I just finished.

This is a 18" dia, 1/4" wall. 3.5' main chamber w/18" firebox. Stack is 4.5"
It was pretty cold the day I took those pics, I can get some better ones, if needed. Waitin on ol boy ta come pic this one up.
SaginawHunter
Pilgrim

Postby SaginawHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:50 pm

I'm trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in sweetwater today I had a system go belly up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person
ratmo USER_AVATAR
Ratmo
Wrangler

Postby Ratmo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:07 am

LOL, I aint worried. Take your time, and dont wreck again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SaginawHunter
Pilgrim

Postby SaginawHunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Ratmo are you going to be around saturday.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person
ratmo USER_AVATAR
Ratmo
Wrangler

Postby Ratmo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:18 am

SaginawHunter wrote:Ratmo are you going to be around saturday.
I will make sure I am, if your wantin to pick this up. Just give me a idea on time.

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”