Salsa Surprise ?sorta?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Salsa Surprise ?sorta?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm

N'york isn't the only State that has surprise packages showing up at Forum members doors. I got one today from Outlaw and it was a jug of his "homemade Salsa". I am here to shout that it is, without a doubt, the best I have ever eaten. The "kick" is just right and it's no so "matery" as some are. I don't eat a lot in the ennins 'cause of screwing up my sleep but I had to fix me a small plate of Nachos just to see if it was a good as it looked and smelled IT WAS :tup: :salut: One thing I am certain of is that it won't last long so thanks to Outlaw I also have the Recipe and I'll be making some jars very soon. Another thing that the Salsa put in my future was to fix some Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas VERDE which I have shy'd away from because of not being able to find the right Salsa. Even tho it's not a Verde salsa it is perfect for that Recipe and that frozen Chicken is defrosting as I type. Sooooo thanks again, Outlaw, this is mega guuuuud. :salut: :cheers:

IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Salsa Surprise ?sorta?

Postby outlaw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:51 am

That is great that you like it, i felt like you would but you never know. Kinda like shining up one of your kids and putting them out there for critique. I'm really a junkie when it comes to that stuff, I eat it on just about everything. I did make a horrible discovery when digging a jar out for you. I'm down to just a couple jars now. That will be on my to do list this weekend. I'll try to remember to take a few pics and share it and the recipe here for those interested now that OUP has cosigned.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 am

From what i see, that salsa looks Spot On !! I see CLUMPS, and imho the more clumps the better in a great salsa !
Kudos to you Outlaw, Emm is a good man, and your kind gesture is well received and thanked , I'm very sure of that :)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:29 am

Yes to all the above ANNNND NOOOOOW it's time for some Sausage, Egg, Cheese and Outlaw Salsa breakfast Tacos :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:11 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Yes to all the above ANNNND NOOOOOW it's time for some Sausage, Egg, Cheese and Outlaw Salsa breakfast Tacos :tup: :salut:

So I can only assume you had no ill effects from eating the sauce late in the evening?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 am

Nary a one, Signor, so now that the breakie tacos are down (yum yum), I've got to get my wranglers on my Troy Bilt and whack down my mini-hay pasture before the neighbors turn their goats in on it. :laughing7:

Only possible problem that I had was having your Salsa and what's left of Russ's Homemade Mater Chilie Sauce in the frig too close to each other - - - sure don't want a mushroom cloud coming from the Kitchen :laughing7: :D :lol: Thanks again :salut:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Nary a one, Signor, so now that the breakie tacos are down (yum yum), I've got to get my wranglers on my Troy Bilt and whack down my mini-hay pasture before the neighbors turn their goats in on it. :laughing7:

Only possible problem that I had was having your Salsa and what's left of Russ's Homemade Mater Chilie Sauce in the frig too close to each other - - - sure don't want a mushroom cloud coming from the Kitchen :laughing7: :D :lol: Thanks again :salut:

Glad you liked it. If it was a little tame for your tastes I have cut open a habanero and floated it in a fresh jar for a little more forehead moisture. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Finished nachos are making me droooool. :laughing7:
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Look forward to recipe btw. Love it when you get a new recipe that works. Can't wait to try this in summer here.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:21 am

OUP has the recipe already so I guess it won't hurt to throw it out there for the rest of my forum brothers (members, I stand corrected). :oops: :oops: :oops: Like I said, it's not scientific, just a basic guideline that you can tweak and make your own. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do.

My method is not scientific, and subject to change from batch to Batch, but here are the basics:

Usually I make a huge batch in a new tall kitchen trash can with a couple of liners because so many people want this for Christmas or birthday presents so here goes. My measuring method is those T-shirt plastic bags in the produce section but size down accordingly.

2 parts Roma tomatoes
1 part poblano peppers
1 part jalapeno peppers
1 part serrano peppers
1 part onion
1 part tomatillos
1/2 part cilantro (no stems)
1 TB minced garlic
Cumin to Taste
Chicken bouillon crystals (In the Mexican section, it is the yellow and green jar)
1 can LaCostena pickled carrots

This is a labor of love, not to be rushed or you can end up with it being too salty due to the bouillon. I usually let it sit overnight before adding any salt.

Just cut the stems off all the peppers, but keep the seeds. Throw them in a big pot and sweat them down a little, or roast if you prefer for the smoky taste. I've done it both ways. Once you sweat them down throw them in your processor or Ninja or whatever you have and chop to the consistency you like. Do the same with all your other ingredients but don't sweat or roast. Sling it all together and get some chips and start tasting till you get the cumin and salt level where you like. That's it.
Last edited by outlaw on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 am

Thanks for that ^^^^^ recipe Outlaw , I'll definitely give it a go, sounds great.
Also, i know u didn't mean to leave anyone out at all, but just a FYI, we gots a couple really good forum sisters on here as well that have shown us a thing or two that would love this recipe as well :):).

Again, i know u didn't know, just throwing it out there bro.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:11 am

woodenvisions wrote:Thanks for that ^^^^^ recipe Outlaw , I'll definitely give it a go, sounds great.
Also, i know u didn't mean to leave anyone out at all, but just a FYI, we gots a couple really good forum sisters on here as well that have shown us a thing or two that would love this recipe as well :):).

I stand corrected, and apologize for my oversight. ALL are invited to anything I might post from time to time. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am

outlaw wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:Thanks for that ^^^^^ recipe Outlaw , I'll definitely give it a go, sounds great.

I stand corrected, and apologize for my oversight. ALL are invited to anything I might post from time to time. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Never an apology needed!

Do you grow the peppers and tomatoes? (We're having a bad tomato year but decent peppers).
Moink!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
outlaw wrote:

Never an apology needed!

Do you grow the peppers and tomatoes? (We're having a bad tomato year but decent peppers).

No, I live in the city and my back yard is mostly devoted to cooking and relaxing. I buy most of my salsa veggies from a Mexican store that has them fresh everyday.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:30 am

No harm Outlaw.
I didn't know either until it was brought to my attention.
All is good man, just passin some info.

Return to “General Discussion”