Rattle snakes - Texas

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Rattle snakes - Texas

Postby GRailsback » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Great story Boots.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 pm

The sweetwater rattle snake round up was just a few weeks ago. Never been, and not sure i want to. No fan of snakes.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 pm

GRailsback wrote:The sweetwater rattle snake round up was just a few weeks ago. Never been, and not sure i want to. No fan of snakes.

As I mentioned I have gone once and that was plenty for me for I HATE ALL SNAKES. An old drinking buddy of mine talked me into it when we happened to be out West looking at Deer Leases. :roll: I ate "one" piece of fried rattler just to say that I had and wasn't all that impressed with it. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:57 pm

I hate poisonous spiders (had a black widow once fall off the door of my truck when I opened it, right into the crack at the top of my jeans, haven't been right about them since). But snakes never used to bother me much, particularly rattlesnakes which have a habit of telling you that they are there and stay away. But those copperheads!! Man they can hide and before you know it yer either stepping on one or almost grabbing one reaching around to clean out a garden bed or barn debris. I killed 5 last year alone. I'll never buy a house next to a creek again.

Killed 4 in one day in October; I bought this hookbill thing I call a Dutch hoe that I keep sharp; perfect for snakes. I have it in for the copperheads anyway, they bit Mollie the Wonder Dog twice several years ago before she went to Fiddlers Green, and by golly, you don’t go messin with a man’s good dig, nossir.

As the great philosopher Robert Earl Keene once said, “By the end of the song, not only were the characters in the song dead, they had been dismembered...”
Attachments
BA878DFB-439E-48D1-A77D-BA401B060E9E.jpeg
4D2E35B6-727B-4B2A-8949-E6808187951D.jpeg
31A71E31-C841-4DEC-A820-855D0E6C9E41.jpeg
Last edited by Boots on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:00 pm

LOL Boots! Great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
techieq USER_AVATAR
TechieQ
Wrangler

Postby TechieQ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Back during my early college days around '89, '90, I came home one Christmas and one of my high school buddies asked me if I wanted to drive down to San Isidro in South Texas with him. He was working for a company that "processed" rattlesnakes. They butchered them, sold the meat to some company, sold the rattlers to somebody else, and sold the venom to yet another someone else. I rode with him. We went way out in the boonies and some kid around 16 took us to his pen when he'd been collecting rattlesnakes. My buddy (while I watched in his van) transferred them into a plywood box he brought with us. On the way back, we passed within 3 blocks of my grandparents' house, so I suggested we stop to potty and say hi. During that stop my grandmother challenged my statement that "we have about 50 lbs of rattlesnakes in the back of the van." I offered to show her. When my buddy opened the box, she jumped behind my grandfather quite quickly. To her dying day, she referred to herself as my "straight man" when it came to jokes.
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:13 am

Many cool but frightening stories. We only have one venomous snake. A viper. It can be up to 3 feet, but mostly 2-3 feet. Not very dangerous. Can kill you if you're allergic, but most people will be fine after a bit. It's life threatening for your dog if it gets bitten.

We have to be careful now in the spring when the snow melts. The snake crawl out on the bare spots after the winter. Sometimes you see them on the snow on their way to a bare spot. They get the heat from the surroundings so they can't stay long on the snow. I almost stepped on the one in th grass a couple of years ago when I was out fishing in the mountains.ImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:01 am

Can't say that I enjoyed the Pics, HOWEVER, the Copperheads just show you how great (bad word) their Camo is especially on the ground with mixed leaves and vegetation.

Mr. Boots, back when Hurricane Alicia hit us we had a small ranch of 18 acres in Liberty County Texas and the reports said that the eye was headed for San Antone. Well, like a green horn, I thought that was good not realizing that "WE" would then be on what they call "The Dirty Side". I counted at least 3 Tornadoes from the sounds and the huge Oak Trees flying thru the sky as I stood at the back Patio Window. We had some trees down, one on the front corner of the house where my youngest son had just gotten out of bed (WOW) and two in the driveway (future Firewood).

Now, I've said all of that to say this:
Whiskey Creek ran through the middle of our property and our house was on the highest part of the property. Everything flooded all the way to about 50 feet from our home. GUESS WHERE all of the Copperheads came for safe dry places :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I killed around a dozen by just walking around the high ground and looking but that's not counting the ones I found later in the wood pile, barn, garage and boat shed :roll: :shock: :angryfire: :roll: :shock: :angryfire: :roll: :shock: :angryfire: :banghead: :whiteflag: :texas: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Boots wrote:I hate poisonous spiders (had a black widow once fall off the door of my truck when I opened it, right into the crack at the top of my jeans, haven't been right about them since). But snakes never used to bother me much, particularly rattlesnakes which have a habit of telling you that they are there and stay away. But those copperheads!! Man they can hide and before you know it yer either stepping on one or almost grabbing one reaching around to clean out a garden bed or barn debris. I killed 5 last year alone. I'll never buy a house next to a creek again.

Killed 4 in one day in October; I bought this hookbill thing I call a Dutch hoe that I keep sharp; perfect for snakes. I have it in for the copperheads anyway, they bit Mollie the Wonder Dog twice several years ago before she went to Fiddlers Green, and by golly, you don’t go messin with a man’s good dig, nossir.

As the great philosopher Robert Earl Keene once said, “By the end of the song, not only were the characters in the song dead, they had been dismembered...”

Agree with you concerning the Copperhead.
Those dang things are invisible in your typical East Texas woods.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:39 pm

Boots wrote:I hate poisonous spiders

On a technicality, all spiders are venomous. There are a handful that are harmful to humans. However, they're all poisonous.
I hate spiders myself. I'll go out of my way to catch a snake but, I'll go in the opposite direction of a spider. Lol!
(Insert witty signature here)
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Some pics from this years roundup in Sweetwater.
Attachments
21765A27-BE5C-442A-97E6-C0E53200EE2B.jpeg
9075772D-A2DF-439D-A47E-C1016AD2AF80.jpeg
A7926F6C-7828-41D7-8E3D-08E711286011.jpeg
7D2FE292-5E8C-4D4A-962D-B354E3F0CFFF.jpeg
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Great photos limey, but them live ones you can have those.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 pm

Please tell me that's not your tray Limey.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:23 pm

It's crazy. I would absolutely not eat that!!!!

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:43 pm

I would eat it, but i wouldn’t be hanging out around the live ones. Shoot it may be pretty good like alligator tail.

Return to “General Discussion”