Another Honda feature!!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Txdragon
Deputy

Another Honda feature!!

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm

I made news in the 2019 Civic; inquiring about tuning options within the Honda community. It was interesting enough to make the front news page of one of the largest Honda forums on the web!
https://honda-tech.com/articles/10th-ge ... g-devices/
(Insert witty signature here)
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Another Honda feature!!

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 am

Didn't the Beach Boys record a song that went "Help me Honda, help help me Honda" :?: :?: :?: :laughing7: :lol:

Seriously, Chef Pal, Congrats on being noticed - - - well deserved. :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:01 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Didn't the Beach Boys record a song that went "Help me Honda, help help me Honda" :?: :?: :?: :laughing7: :lol:

Seriously, Chef Pal, Congrats on being noticed - - - well deserved. :wav:

Ha!! My grandmother loved the Beach Boys. I'm really hoping to have *some* ability to pioneer a bit for the 10th generation civics. I have done a good deal over the last couple years on dispelling many old myths in regard to one of the older platforms. That's primarily due to engine swaps being more common and thought better than modifying what was in it. Then the O.G. crowd that just shunned anything of little budget and I beat the tar out of that with my first build, pulling off near 350 horsepower with less than 3000 bucks. So, it's been a fun journey. Lol!
In other news, I'll have a youtube channel up and going before long. Stay tuned!
Joernolav
Chuck Wagon

Postby Joernolav » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Cool and that's a nice car.

My mother's first car was a Honda civic 1st gen. silver metallic.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Joernolav wrote:Cool and that's a nice car.

My mother's first car was a Honda civic 1st gen. silver metallic.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Thank you! I know a guy that is doing some really awesome stuff with a first gen. He is modernizing it with a K-series engine and tubular chassis. Everything he has done so far goes WAY beyond any budget I could pool together in a 5 year time span. Lol!
GTR
Cowboy

Postby GTR » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Wife had a Civic when we first met. Got a Mustang GT convertible in '94. I drove the Civic for the next couple years. Not really my cup of tea but got me from A to B. I'm more of the Big 3 type. That said I took notice of what the tuner guys were up to. Wondered for years why engine swaps weren't being done. Again not my cup of tea so I really never looked into any reasoning. Once the engine swaps became in vouge tuner cars became far more interesting. I had a '87 Buick GN for several years, I know what kind of power one can achieve with 6 slugs and a little forced induction. :D
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:18 am

GTR wrote:Wife had a Civic when we first met. Got a Mustang GT convertible in '94. I drove the Civic for the next couple years. Not really my cup of tea but got me from A to B. I'm more of the Big 3 type. That said I took notice of what the tuner guys were up to. Wondered for years why engine swaps weren't being done. Again not my cup of tea so I really never looked into any reasoning. Once the engine swaps became in vouge tuner cars became far more interesting. I had a '87 Buick GN for several years, I know what kind of power one can achieve with 6 slugs and a little forced induction. :D

The concept behind the engine swap in a Honda is primarily going from the single cam to a dual cam engine. 1.5L non-VTEC Honda engine was very prevalent in most of the civics on the road. Those were considered garbage by most of the community, and even most of the aftermarket companies didn't offer much support. Swapping the JDM Civic Type-R engine (B16A) was beginning to take its first foothold. The VTEC single cam (D16Z6), which I have grown to know and love, was another viable swap into those that were more economical. As the B-series swaps became more popular, the single cam crowd really dwindled down. More people were pushing the swap as a cheaper alternative to more horsepower. With larger support for the swap crowd, newbies to the community were discouraged against modding what they had and persuaded into swapping. I'm one of a small number of people keeping the single cam alive with any interest in its performance. There is valid argument though, that B-series is a bit less expensive to mod out the gate; meaning you'll get more bang for your buck but, under a certain level. If you're wanting a simple 300hp build, sure, a few thousand and you're golden. If you're looking for >500, be prepared to shell out 3 times the amount though because that's where the shortcomings are found. Lots of ignition system failures, transmission issues, head flow problems, poor camshaft design, and weak axles become a big chunk of money to remedy. Either way you slice it, Honda is an extremely underrated competitor. I know folks right now that race professionally in Hondas pushing 1000 horses easy. That is tremendous, coming from a 1.8L 4 banger. Lol!
GTR
Cowboy

Postby GTR » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Txdragon wrote:
GTR wrote:Wife had a Civic when we first met. Got a Mustang GT convertible in '94. I drove the Civic for the next couple years. Not really my cup of tea but got me from A to B. I'm more of the Big 3 type. That said I took notice of what the tuner guys were up to. Wondered for years why engine swaps weren't being done. Again not my cup of tea so I really never looked into any reasoning. Once the engine swaps became in vouge tuner cars became far more interesting. I had a '87 Buick GN for several years, I know what kind of power one can achieve with 6 slugs and a little forced induction. :D

The concept behind the engine swap in a Honda is primarily going from the single cam to a dual cam engine. 1.5L non-VTEC Honda engine was very prevalent in most of the civics on the road. Those were considered garbage by most of the community, and even most of the aftermarket companies didn't offer much support. Swapping the JDM Civic Type-R engine (B16A) was beginning to take its first foothold. The VTEC single cam (D16Z6), which I have grown to know and love, was another viable swap into those that were more economical. As the B-series swaps became more popular, the single cam crowd really dwindled down. More people were pushing the swap as a cheaper alternative to more horsepower. With larger support for the swap crowd, newbies to the community were discouraged against modding what they had and persuaded into swapping. I'm one of a small number of people keeping the single cam alive with any interest in its performance. There is valid argument though, that B-series is a bit less expensive to mod out the gate; meaning you'll get more bang for your buck but, under a certain level. If you're wanting a simple 300hp build, sure, a few thousand and you're golden. If you're looking for >500, be prepared to shell out 3 times the amount though because that's where the shortcomings are found. Lots of ignition system failures, transmission issues, head flow problems, poor camshaft design, and weak axles become a big chunk of money to remedy. Either way you slice it, Honda is an extremely underrated competitor. I know folks right now that race professionally in Hondas pushing 1000 horses easy. That is tremendous, coming from a 1.8L 4 banger. Lol!

Thanks for the explanation. Makes much more since now. Puts me in mind of the flathead vs. OHV debates. Sure there is a certain romance associated with the FH but dependable power over 300 is sketchy. OHV offered internal advancements you just can't get in the FH. To me honestly Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding. Whether it burns nitro or rice :laughing7: power is power.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 pm

GTR wrote: To me honestly Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding. Whether it burns nitro or rice :laughing7: power is power.

I totally agree - - - sorry Chef Pal, no hi-jack intended :whiteflag:
235Engine.jpg
235Engine.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 482 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
GTR wrote: To me honestly Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding. Whether it burns nitro or rice :laughing7: power is power.

I totally agree - - - sorry Chef Pal, no hi-jack intended :whiteflag:
235Engine.jpg

For real! There's mud slung in all directions but, end of the day, it's all about the love of cars!
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:11 am

The love of cars and their horsepower. Nothing makes it more attractive then a great headlights, body with curves and a great arse end that knows how to move.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
Chasdev
Bandolero

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Gotta love a Blueflame!

Return to “General Discussion”