The Highwaymen

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

The Highwaymen

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Just watched this movie now. Starring Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner. Big fan of Woody Harrelson.

If you haven't seen the movie I gladly recommend it. It's about the hunt for Bonnie and Clyde by the two Texas Rangers Hamer and Gault. I learned little history.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Cowboy

Re: The Highwaymen

Postby GTR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:14 pm

The true story is probably more amazing than any movie could depict. State laws were very different at the time. In terms of jurisdictions and pursuing out of said jurisdictions. Some of the pursuit laws were still on the books till the late 60’s early 70’s.
On side note, my grandmother saw the pair plus one other driving by her home as she hung laundry out to dry. She made eye contact with Bonnie, in the passenger seat, said Bonnie smiled and waved as they passed. They had just killed the store owner 1.5 blocks down the street. A killing they denied, claiming they had never been to Sherman, Tx. But one of the group did have family in the Sherman/Denison area.
I’m more a Costner fan. I’m sure the content was fairly accurate if he had any input. He is somewhat a history buff and very much for historical accuracy.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Much happened here in East Texas
GTR
Cowboy

Postby GTR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Rambo wrote:Much happened here in East Texas

Quick and easy to get over the state line.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

My Grandfather grew up in Oklahoma and he and a buddy used to hunt for arrowheads and rattle snake rattlers or what ever else showed up that they thought was collectible. He had some old Civil War relics, Indian relics and my favorite was a Smith and Wesson 32 revolver that I used to play with as a child. No problem because there wasn't a cartridge any where around. :D The rumor was that it was dropped during a Bonnie and Clyde chase by the Cops through that area. I always thought that I would end up with the pistol but one weekend I asked him about it and he said that he had sent it to his BUddy that hunted relics with him back during the Depression Days. :( :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Highly recommend reading Ambush by Ted Hinton, a Dallas deputy that was part of the posse along with Frank Hamer, Gault and one other. He grew up in West Dallas (called The Bog back then) and knew Bonnie and Clyde and the family well. Great in depth details of the string of events and photos. He evidently carried a lot a lot of guilt afterward given the posse basically hollered halt and then cut loose on the pair without hesitation, such was their apprehension the Clyde would open up with his BAR and roar off in his Ford (he was evidently an expert backroad driver). They riddled both, and actually shot Bonnie’s hand essentially off. My Dad knew him later when he was managing a hotel in Fort Worth in the 60s or 70s where the horse club held meetings, said he was a very nice man but sad. One could understand why.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75
Chuck Wagon

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:04 am

I really enjoyed the Highwaymen. My Grandparents were in Louisiana at that time with the oil field I believe. Grandma told me the story of them driving their bodies through town and everybody rushing out to see and people touching and grabbing at them. That story came to life when is watched the movie.

Side note - thought this thread was about music when I opened it now I gotta go listen to some Highwaymen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”