Thinking of starting a BBQ Shack

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BigDave
Bandolero

Re: Thinking of starting a BBQ Shack

Postby BigDave » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Well the very first thing you need to do is go thru and make a business plan to see if it is really gonna make some money. Once you get an idea of costs and potential sales you had better get in touch with the local health goons and see what they require as far as a portable commercial kitchen and cooker. You may find out that 250 gallon propane tank cooker won't pass the muster with the health goons. Just sayin......
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Re: Thinking of starting a BBQ Shack

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

magnus392 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys keep it coming.

How do the big commercial installed pits run all night without constant attention?

I have done a few events for friends/business acquaintances and catering will probably be the stepping stone. I am not looking to launch tomorrow, just in the knowledge seeking phase.

As mentioned by another on here, the food is some times precooked and kept in walk in coolers and served with in a couple days max. When I knew it was going to be a very busy day I would start the briskets at 3 or 4 the previous day and cook to temp 180 which was usually around 9-10 pm and then shut the pit down completely (close all doors and air), they were always perfect and warm in the morning, cambrio and pull as needed during lunch rush. Ribs chicken and fajitas cooked same day, always, grilled fajitas as ordered over very hot fire. Thats doing it the hard way, true bbq but as mentioned most places use those big cheater high $$$ pit$ but it is out of necessity, no other way to really cook consistent volume.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “General Discussion”