About the party

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

About the party

Postby Allie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:20 pm

We didn't cook the meat after all. Les and the husband talked about it for months and he wanted us to do it. Then last week, his wife said she didn't want any rub on it because she was afraid some of the older people wouldn't like it. Now as we know when you rub a whole shoulder or ham, there really isn't that much spice to it at all. Even though that was really stupid, Les said that was fine, he would skip the rub. Then she decided she didn't want it smoked either...basically just wanted it grilled. Les bowed out gracefully. No reason for him to get up at 5 am to get it going after going to bed at 2 am. lol
Some of these people around here are nuts. They want bbq but have no clue what true Q is! It aggravates this southern girl to no end! Anyway, I did make up a batch of my sauce and also DaHorns SC Mustard Sauce. That mustard sauce was a major hit! People were eating it on pork, sammies, even as a dip for chips! lol Thanks for posting that recipe last week. We also made up a batch of our mustard potato salad and the fruit fluff.

Except the cooking issue, we had a blast. No pics of the party or food since we didn't cook it. I took some pictures but not many since I didn't know very many people there. We made some new friends and got to know some others a lot better. All in all, it was a great weekend but we sure were looking forward to cooking!

In July, we are going camping with 3 other families and if all goes as planned, we're taking our smoker and cooking some chicken and pork!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:26 pm

What ? No rub? :shock:

No SMOKE??????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Their loss. :lol:

You made the right choice to no-go. Heck they had you painted into a corrner of making bad BBQ just because they dont know any better. :roll:
Last edited by Gator on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Allie

Postby Allie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Between no rub and then no smoke, there was no way we were venturing into doing that. We only wanted some free publicity to hopefully get some jobs. It's not worth compromising quality to please them. They've done this party for at least 10 years around July 4th so they know how to grill meat. lol The funny thing is our next door neighbors were there (her aunt was hosting the party). The husband was telling people about how he will walk outside his front door and smell meat smoking and knows from the smell it's us over here cooking up some great food. This guy has never even tasted our food! LOL They are never home except to sleep so we've never given them any when we cook.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Some people just don't get it do they? Their loss and they don't even know cause they just don't get it......
My neighbors are not from that group....
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Good call :D You would have never pleased her anyway. :roll: It's their loss. :lol: Better no Q than bad Q. :D
Jim
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:55 pm

What a bummer! Some people just don't get it! As far as some people not liking things, I go to plenty of gatherings that I don't want everything, and I just don't eat it! You can never please everyone. Oh well, it sounds like you had a great time and made some new friends and contacts!
We loved the mustard sauce as well. Major keeper!!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
Allie

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:52 am

You are so right, Laura. With 50+ people, there is absolutely no way to please everyone. Les went over there to pick up some of our stuff yesterday after work. He picked up my red sauce container (the big Heinz ketchup 144 oz? with the pump) and said it was almost empty. They were still raving about the mustard sauce. One guy was over there smoking (yes actually using hickory) some chicken wings and used some of Les's rub on them. Now he's wanting to get together and cook with us one weekend. They're even discussing trying to start up a comp team now.

Return to “General Discussion”