Woodworking (furniture refinish)

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Woodworking (furniture refinish)

Postby bowhnter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:47 am

It is a year later for one piece since I started :shock: but my goal is to have to pieces done by next weekend.

So Jim...I am using sandpaper to strip it since the chemicals are way to messy and did not really work, and it is working out OK.

Some questions...

Is using a solvent stripper better? I have some dremel brushes / sanding discs I can use to get the small detailed stuff unless I would be better off stripping that part...?

I have some dark spots in the wood here and there, is there a good solvent or something I should use to try to get all them out, or something I should clean it good with when I am done sanding?

Thanks!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:11 pm

Well, I would lay out some plastic drop sheets and use a citrus stripper to get most of the finish off, then sand. Less work and will do a better job. The stripper will pull some of the finish out of the wood. Denatured alcohol will pull dark spots out, depending on what they are. If the piece is small enough, you can soak the area with denatured alcohol and place the object in a black garbage bag or wrap the top or area with the bag and set it out in the sun to remove spots. This is a trick we use to take oil out of old gun stocks. After sanding wipe with the alcohol. it cleans without raising the grain of the wood.
Hope this helps. :D :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:21 pm

yep...thanks!. Got your pm too in case I need it will take you up on it.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “General Discussion”