Am I the only one?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Am I the only one?

Postby bowhnter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:07 am

Seems I do an awful lot of cutting myself. Got myself real good Saturday night. Probably should have went for stitches. Even runied my throwdown pic taking. :oops:
Is 2-3 times a month more than usual? :dont:
I know I need some sharper knives, but I just get careless. :scratch:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 am

Mike, When I worked in a butcher shop (long time ago) I got an occasional nick. Rarely get it nowadays, knock on wood, heck everything comes almost ready for the pit.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 am

Oh let me count the scars!! I too, have had several cuts that needed a stitch, and I'm too stubborn. I just keep it clean and dry. My husband wouldn't let me cut up a whole chicken for a long time!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
Allie

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:11 am

I'm all the time getting cut! I think the worst is trying to make thin slices. When I get to that last little bit of tomato or onion, trying to hold it upright on the cutting board and slice at the same time. The nail on my left middle finger always has gouges in it where I hit it when slicing. lol
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Am I the only one?

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:08 am

I rarely get cuts, but I cut so slow a turtle would die of old age waiting for me to finish. And I keep fingers an inch or more away from the blade.

bowhnter wrote:Is 2-3 times a month more than usual? :dont:

To me, if they're serious cuts, yeah. Nicks are one thing, and an occasional gash is to be expected. But if you're getting the same place repeatedly, or if you frequently need medical attention, it's probably time for sharp knives and better technique. When talking about knives, the winner is the one with all his fingers left.

Allie wrote:The nail on my left middle finger always has gouges in it where I hit it when slicing. lol

Be glad it's the nail and not the finger. :wink:
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:27 am

The're usually not serious. I just get in a hurry and careless sometimes. Been watching too much food tv and try to cut like a pro that I'm not. :roll:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:35 am

bowhnter wrote:The're usually not serious. I just get in a hurry and careless sometimes. Been watching too much food tv and try to cut like a pro that I'm not. :roll:

Most of the Chefs on tv will tell you that they cut themselves on a weekly basis!
Dull knive, sharp knive, it doesn't matter! The worst part about cutting yourself with a sharp knive, is that many times I don't know I've cut myself until I see the food turning a lovely shade of pink! :lol:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 am

bowhnter wrote:Been watching too much food tv and try to cut like a pro that I'm not. :roll:

Most of the pros I've heard say "Don't do that!" Work on being accurate and you'll get faster over time.

Me, I'd love to use a knife like them, but I injure myself too often as it is.

copkid wrote:Dull knive, sharp knive, it doesn't matter! The worst part about cutting yourself with a sharp knive, is that many times I don't know I've cut myself until I see the food turning a lovely shade of pink! :lol:

Yeah, but sharp cuts heal quicker than ragged ones. And you're more likely to cut yourself seriously with a dull knife, cause you have to use more force to cut with it, which affects control.
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 am

I dang near whacked off one of my fingers one time. Ouch, no more fancy style for me!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:12 am

I shouldn't tell you all that I'm trying to type right now with a huge bandaid (or three :oops: ) on my finger! I didn't cut it with a knife, but in chasing my almost 16 yr old son. We were messing around and he tried to lock me out of his room, so I went outside and climbed in his window, and cut myself on something in shutting the window! :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: It's my middle finger, so evertime I want to remind him of what I go thru to be his mother, I point it up at him! :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Sharper knife--slow down--and practice using better techniques. :D :D A dull knife will get you cut worse and more often than a good sharp knife. :D
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:47 pm

I never cut myself when nobody's lookin'........But just let me be doing a cater........ :oops:
tarde venientibus ossa....
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Rarely get cut, but hit the top of my thumb between knuckle and nail to the bone last Friday afternoon trimmin briskets.....sharp knife, clean cut, no stitches, healing jus fine...luckily bone is near the top....:)
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Sharp knives, slow down - tenets I tend to follow. Haven't needed stitches in decades from a kitchen accident.(knock on cuttingboard)
Glass tubing, yes-
Hedge shears, yes-
Wood chisel, yes. Pretty spectacular scars, those.
Dr.Super Glue did the close-up work the last time I laid the base of my thumb open with a chisel. Wasn't any ligament,tendon,or nerve damage so I just super glued it after I got the bleeding stopped.
It's a good idea to keep a tube in yer first aid kit-OR-they do make a medical grade version, too-called Dermabond.
Works great and beats sittin' in an ER waitin' 2-3 hours for sutures.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:03 am

Yes...I have bottles of Skin Shield laying around the house.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “General Discussion”