Moved - Deer Hunting

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:32 pm

My dad went deer huntin' a few years back. Came home with a doe and a turkey. He shot it in the head with a 30.06 so he wouldn't damage the meat. 8)
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:57 am

TX Sandman wrote:My dad went deer huntin' a few years back. Came home with a doe and a turkey. He shot it in the head with a 30.06 so he wouldn't damage the meat. 8)

Thats some fine shootin there... 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:15 pm

Back in the day when I was into high powered rifles when deer hunting with my brother and his friends. I showed up with a 7mm Mag. Bro told me that every time someone heard a shot, they asked if that was me. Well about 2 in the afternoon the cannon let loose. Thunder in the woods. One guy wet himself. Bro said, "that's Dave".

5 pt buck. Made for some good summer sausage. Now that was years ago. Long since sold my cannon (still can't hear out of left ear for crap) but it was lots of fun. Problem is those deers just don't have any fat to 'em. No wild piggies in these parts so I've pretty much given it all up but will defend any ones right to do so.

BTW, Let a round off directly over the head of my dog to see if he was gun shy. He wasn't, but 2 other dogs there turned out to be .... let's just say they became family pets.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:57 pm

I've been deer hunting on a federal wild life preserve. They open it up twice a year for deer hunting. The problem here is that bucks with stubs over 3 inches are off limits.

Got some nice does. Yes, they had some fat to them. The land also is used to grow wheat and corn. Just to show the great citizens of Illinois, that visit, how a corn & wheat farm operate. Most of the stuff is used for feed or plowed under at the end of the season. The deer just gorge themselves on it.

I usually use either a .270 or a 308 in the rifle department. Both bolt action. In Illinois we can use a handgun to hunt, so sometimes I carry a Taurus DA 44 mag or a Super Blackhawk SA 44mag. Then again they have a black powder only hunt in some areas. Would you believe a Pensylvania long rifle? The darn thing is a bear to carry in the woods. That barrel just reaches out an touches the target. :lol: :lol:

There is a state park that has several special deer seasons. It seems like there is a plant that grows there naturally. The only place in the state. The deer seem to love this plant. Henceforth the deer have to be controlled. The problem is its a daily draw. You have to get there about 3am to register. At 4:30, if there is more registered than available slots, there is a lottery. Believe it or not sometimes I went home because I didn't get a slot!
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:19 pm

I like bowhunting, just don't get to do it anymore since I moved from IL. I refuse to pay that much $, and don't like to drive that far. USed to be in a tree 20 mins from the house. Miss those days, but would never move back.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:56 pm

I rent a hunting camp in western Maine for the month of November and spend a lot of time in the woods...Big deer up here, have seen whitetails fied dress 285 lbs...my biggest is 215 field dressed...hard hunting in Maine, big woods, no food plots, smart deer....Don't really care bout killing anything anymore, just like getting out.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm

BFD, when did Illinois start allowing high power rifles for deer hunting?? When we had the farm there you could only use shotgun, bow, muzzle loader, or a special Jan. handgun hunt. Must be nice if they changed that law. :D I do miss the bigger deer. Here in Fla. the deer are so small, a big buck is 150 pounds. :roll: But we do have alot of hogs to hunt. :D :D
Jim
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Thankfully we have our own land to hunt on and we all hunt. Although I prefer coyote hunting to any other kind, I do deer hunt and hog hunt some. My bestfriend got me into when I was 16, I was the only girl in my grade or the one above and below me that hunted. I'm not a dedicated hunter that goes out everyday I probably only go one a week. But I've gotten 3 and got them all with my .222mag bolt action of course(all 3 guns that are mine are bolt action) that sweet thang dropped in their tracks. I've gotten a spike, 3 pointer and 5 pointer. One yr before DH and I got married I had my eye on the really nice 8 pt and for the first 2 weeks of deer season I had to either open or close the store I worked at. Well the day before Thanksgiving DH came to pick me up from my job and said he had a surprise for me. I walked out and there lay MY buck in the back of the truck. I was so mad and still give him grief about it.

I'm ready for some good deer sausage.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:13 pm

perryranch wrote:Thankfully we have our own land to hunt on and we all hunt. Although I prefer coyote hunting to any other kind, I do deer hunt and hog hunt some. My bestfriend got me into when I was 16, I was the only girl in my grade or the one above and below me that hunted. I'm not a dedicated hunter that goes out everyday I probably only go one a week. But I've gotten 3 and got them all with my .222mag bolt action of course(all 3 guns that are mine are bolt action) that sweet thang dropped in their tracks. I've gotten a spike, 3 pointer and 5 pointer. One yr before DH and I got married I had my eye on the really nice 8 pt and for the first 2 weeks of deer season I had to either open or close the store I worked at. Well the day before Thanksgiving DH came to pick me up from my job and said he had a surprise for me. I walked out and there lay MY buck in the back of the truck. I was so mad and still give him grief about it.

I'm ready for some good deer sausage.

Got a shot gun, a rifle and a four wheel drive, and a county boy can survive :D Credit to HWjr. The Mrs, she ain't for this kind of thing but ain't against it either. Deer Huntiing should be enumerated in the constitution.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Gator wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:My dad went deer huntin' a few years back. Came home with a doe and a turkey. He shot it in the head with a 30.06 so he wouldn't damage the meat. 8)

Thats some fine shootin there... 8)

No lie! People that don't know Dad have a tough time believing it, and the ones that know guns usually say it can't be done. Bird was in the wrong place, wrong time, with the wrong hunter. :twisted:

Tasted like :potty: , though.

Heard a funny argument on the radio the other day. The radio hosts (Mark Davis and Hal Jay, for DFW folks) had been interviewing Ted Nugent when talk turned to hunting. Someone mentioned "harvesting" the deer. A later caller disagreed with the use of "harvest", stating they should call it what it is: "killing" the deer. From there it went into Webster's for the correct definition of "harvest", hunting definitions in Texas, and other aspects of hunting. Meanwhile, this caller can't seem to speak another phrase other than "It's killing deer!"

Moron!
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 am

I have more guns than I need nowadays. I have a place in East Texas, saw a moster buck last season and let him pass. Seems lookin at deer is just as much fun as shooting 'em these days... :D

I will sling some lead for doves, like that alot. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 am

OSD wrote: When we had the farm there

Where was this at in IL?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:25 pm

I grew up on a farm outside Troy, Il. :D Southern Illinois. :D We mainly raised beef cattle. Family business was a livestock commission company at the StockYards. :D Bought and sold everything from veal calves, to feeders, to old bulls & cows. :D I would have been the fourth generation, but my Dad said no, that it was a dying business ( He was right ) and I would have to do something else. :D :D
Jim
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:05 pm

:oops: :oops: I used the rifles in Eagle River Wi. You are correct about the shot gun, muzzleloader & handgun. Except you can use a hand gun or muzzle loader during any season. You can also use a muzzle loader rifle during the handgun season.

I understand that we were this close ->!<- to having a rifle season. I haven't talked to anyone from the ISRA lately but they were pushing. I think they were trying to push holding off on a concealed carry law for the increase in power for deer heunting.

OSD wrote:BFD, when did Illinois start allowing high power rifles for deer hunting?? When we had the farm there you could only use shotgun, bow, muzzle loader, or a special Jan. handgun hunt. Must be nice if they changed that law. :D I do miss the bigger deer. Here in Fla. the deer are so small, a big buck is 150 pounds. :roll: But we do have alot of hogs to hunt. :D :D
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog

Return to “General Discussion”