Help needed

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Help needed

Postby Delaware Smoker » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:07 pm

Hey guys,I need sum help.A few years ago,my friend installed Norton Anti Virus Corp. Edition.It is set to come on at 2am.every Sun.Well this wk.it didn't come on.I tried to run it,& I get this message.Can't start scan.Scan engine returned error ox 20000058.Can someone explain what is going on.I've lost contact with my friend who installed it.And i'm computer challenged.
Thanks for any help,
Bill
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Help needed

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Delaware Smoker wrote:Hey guys,I need sum help.A few years ago,my friend installed Norton Anti Virus Corp. Edition.It is set to come on at 2am.every Sun.Well this wk.it didn't come on.I tried to run it,& I get this message.Can't start scan.Scan engine returned error ox 20000058.Can someone explain what is going on.I've lost contact with my friend who installed it.And i'm computer challenged.
Thanks for any help,
Bill

Try this,
Shut the computer off and let it be for 4 minutes then reboot. If that don't work, then trying fragmenting the hard drive. That fixes the majority of the problems I come across.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Sounds like a corrupted file there DS..may need to be re-installed. Did your buddy leave a program dissk?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:42 pm

Here is the suggestion from my hubby, IT Analyst.

After a couple of years, an old version of Norton Corporate edition will stop
functioning (scanning/def. file updating). That's Symantec's subtle way of
telling you to buy the current version. $30ish for a new copy at Sam's Club.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Here's my suggestion deinstall the Norton I never liked it anyway.
Download and install Avast
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Avast home edition is free and has been rated better than most of the costly ones like Norton and McAfee
tarde venientibus ossa....
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:58 am

Papa Tom is probably right (get rid of Norton).

I don't agree though with using Avast (70% score on the last virus test by PC Authority) Norton scored 68% (hahahahaha what a joke).
and Avira (free) scored 92% It does have a stupid reminder "nag-screen" that request you to purchase the full version.
or AVG (free) scored 83% (no nag screen; I use this one...)

Sites:
www.free-av.com (Avira)
www.grisoft.com (AVG)

PS Yep I'm a computer nerd, but don't take my advice as I take no responsibility for using any of the computer products I mentioned.

If however you want to get a KK for your BBQ-ing I'll recommend it strongly...
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:21 am

I know this isn't what you are wanting to hear, but I agree with PAul and Papa.

I use AVG and it works great.

I have tried Norton and Symantic and didn't like either one.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Allie

Postby Allie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:18 am

We had a virus about a year ago that was horrible. We tried AVG, Norton, Panda, and others and then I stumbled on Avast. Out of all of those programs, it was the only one that worked. In the past two weeks, we've had issues with Trojans. Avast would find it, but couldn't remove it. Nor could Spybot Search and Destroy or Norton, so I went searching. I found that these particular applications needed certain programs to remove them. Anyway, Norton really slowed down our system because it loaded so much extra stuff on our computer. We ended up removing it and going back to Avast. In my searches, the freebies I saw most recommended were Avast and AVG. Norton was recommended along wtih Symantic for those who wish to buy their anti-virus program. As long as a freebie works well, I refuse to buy since I've had problems with the paid programs in the past.
Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Postby Delaware Smoker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks for the replies & help.I did uninstall Norton,& installed AVG.
Thanks again,
Bill
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:20 am

Allie wrote:We had a virus about a year ago that was horrible. We tried AVG, Norton, Panda, and others and then I stumbled on Avast. Out of all of those programs, it was the only one that worked. In the past two weeks, we've had issues with Trojans. Avast would find it, but couldn't remove it. Nor could Spybot Search and Destroy or Norton, so I went searching. I found that these particular applications needed certain programs to remove them. Anyway, Norton really slowed down our system because it loaded so much extra stuff on our computer. We ended up removing it and going back to Avast. In my searches, the freebies I saw most recommended were Avast and AVG. Norton was recommended along wtih Symantic for those who wish to buy their anti-virus program. As long as a freebie works well, I refuse to buy since I've had problems with the paid programs in the past.

You need to manually run periodic "updates" with SpyBot :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Allie

Postby Allie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:52 am

I downloaded the newest version. We didn't have it before two weeks ago. We went through three Trojans, all of which had to be removed with their own programs. Virtumonde, Vundo, and trojanw32.Looksky. So far, the computer is working well so I believe the programs for each of them worked!

We always check for updates when we use the programs and run our AdAware, Avast, and now Spybot once a week or more if strange things start happening.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Free stuff and it works....auto updates fer life.......dj
http://free.grisoft.com/
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native

Return to “General Discussion”