Gumbo Sausage Recommendation

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Gumbo Sausage Recommendation

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm wanting to use the left of the beer can chicken leftovers for a small pot of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (fingers crossed on the RoooooooooUX). What I need is some suggestions on what type of link sausage to use :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Gumbo Sausage Recommendation

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 pm

I had some andouille I really liked a couple of weeks ago. Savoie's was the brand. Local Cajun market had it in the freezer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Google says that my Walmart has some but not the Andouille - - - I also just found out about a family owned meat market not far from here so I now have the Wiffy even more worried. :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:37 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Google says that my Walmart has some but not the Andouille - - - I also just found out about a family owned meat market not far from here so I now have the Wiffy even more worried. :laughing7: :D :lol:

If at all possible I'd support the family owned over WalMart any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:39 pm

:tup:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Your favorite pork sausage will work.

Don't be bashful with the heat when making the roux. Turn it up and don't quick stirring.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Savoie's makes good sausage and andouille.

If you are ever in the Thibodaux, LA neighborhood, stop in Bourgeois Meat Market for the best andouille in South Louisiana. We pick up several pounds when we're close by.

My son makes a pretty good (actually excellent but don't tell him - his head will get bigger 8) ). He was on a project in Kentucky recently and ordered andouille from Bourgeois for a gumbo he made for the office. :D
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Savoie's Andouille, is my go to sausage for gumbo. Richard's, Thompson's and Conecuh are all pretty good as well. I have also used Hillshire Farms Andouille which is available from most Wal-Mart stores.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:33 pm

thanks, Gents, and Egg, you have no idea how much I crave to cross that Sabine River but the Wiffys health lately has me at bay. If I do ever get over there again, I'll be dangerous - - hmmm Mardi Gras is around the corner ain't it :?:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Do you have access to conecuh sausage. Best in the world
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Andouille is the only sausage for gumbo, but the wife might not like it because it is spicy and has some heat.

I just smoked nine lbs. yesterday. If you lived closer I'd give you a pound.

Ready for the smoker

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm

and I WOULD TAKE IT :tup: - - - only a surgeon could stuff a casing that long :salut: what type casing do you use to get that consistency :?:
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:35 pm

36-38mm pig casing.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 pm

:tup:
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:16 pm

I know it's probably a little late, but here's a great recipe for Andouille. It came from NOLA Cuisine.

Andouille Sausage Recipe

5# Pork (I prefer a Boston Butt) Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Combine the following in a bowl:
2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste (Remember, if you make it too hot, every dish you make with it will be too hot! Start off with a little, you can add more after you taste the finished seasoning)
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 healthy pinch Cure #1 (1 tsp. of “cure” per 5# of meat)
1/2 Cup Ice Water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

**Note – Prague Powder#1 is used for wet curing meats, to retain color and freshness. It is a ratio of 16 oz. salt to 1 ounce sodium nitrate.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with:

1/8 Cup Non-Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

Stuff the sausage into prepared Hog Casings (Beef middle casings if you can find them). Here is my method of Linking Sausage.

Tie each sausage link with kitchen string to make a loop for hanging. Hang uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This step is to let the casings dry out to allow smoke absorption, very important.

I smoked this in an inexpensive upright barrel smoker, with charcoal as the heat source, and unsoaked Pecan chips for the smoke. The sausage was hung beneath the top rack, no water pan.

I smoked this at 130º F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 165º F for another 2 1/2 hours, refreshing the wood chips as needed. The trick here, is to get as much smoke flavor into the sausage before it is actually cooked through, and too hot of a temperature will render the fat out of your sausage. I controlled the temp by the number of coals, and keeping them piled up and pushed to one side. When you spread your coals out the temperature will increase. I added more coals to reach the 165º F mark.

The internal temperature of the sausage should read 155º F on an instant read thermometer. Remove at this point and immediately spray with cold water. Hang at room temperature in front of a fan for 1 hour then refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

Portion and store in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer.
Mark Crigler

Return to “General Discussion”