How much Roux to Doux

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

How much Roux to Doux

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Think I'll fix that Chicken and Sausage Gumbo first of the week and I'm wondering how much Roux to fix :dont: does anyone have a gauging idea or opinion :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: How much Roux to Doux

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Think I'll fix that Chicken and Sausage Gumbo first of the week and I'm wondering how much Roux to fix :dont: does anyone have a gauging idea or opinion :?:

Well this is EMBARRASING....

I have NO input on this and I'm half Fwench..

I can make some killer toast tho lol
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: How much Roux to Doux

Postby Russ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:23 pm

I make a roux when I make chicken croquettes, rough rule of thumb is 4 to 5 ounces of butter and about 2 to 3 heaped tablespoons of flour, stir til you get a nice thick product. I use this along with gelatine to set my croquettes. One of my faves that my family ask for. Rolled in breadcrumbs or panko.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:28 pm

shame shame Semi-Frenchie :laughing7: Russ, I guess I didn't make myself clear but what I need is to know how much total Roux for a small pot of Gumbo :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:41 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:shame shame Semi-Frenchie :laughing7: Russ, I guess I didn't make myself clear but what I need is to know how much total Roux for a small pot of Gumbo :?: :dont:

Question one: how 'small' a pot?

Question two: has anyone heard of making biiig batches of roux, then refrigerating?

These guys seem to think so.

Question three: butter or oil?

:mrgreen:
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I make my croquettes and freeze. No difference in taste. Sorry oup. That's the only roux I make.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 pm

For a whole chicken cut up and a link or two of sausage, I would use about 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup flour. But I need to qualify that I don't measure so you may need to adjust the flour on the fly.

Turn the heat up and stir phast, phast, phast. I like a mahogany color for Gumbeaux. Make sure all your seasoning is chopped and ready to Geaux and please use chicken stock. :D :D

Yes you can make a big one and freeze but I don't.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm

ah ha - thanks Egg - - :tup: :salut: I doux have the Holy Trinity ready to Geaux
mrxlh
Rustler

Postby mrxlh » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Small pot, 1 stick of butter and 1/2-3/4 cup of flour. I do like Egg does though, and add the flour according to how it's cooking up. If you make a little more roux and darker roux, chicken broth is not necessary. I do use the water that I boil my chicken in though.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:29 pm

I use stocks a bunch, especially in soups, stews, and gumbos. I have several stocks in the freezer including chicken, turkey, vegetable, duck, and lobster but also supplement with store bought. Used the last of my shrimp stick in a shrimp okra gumbo.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:15 am

I'm making chicken, sausage and shrimp gumbo today, it will have about 2 lbs of chicken, a pound of sausage and a pound of shrimp. I'll heat 3/4 cup of oil and start whisking in the flour till I use about a cup, when it's close to a dark brown and it smell's like it's about to burn it's ready. I have heard that you refrigerate it over night but I go ahead and start the gumbo and about 3 1/2 to 4 hour's later I'm ready to eat.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 am

Started my sheeken and awn-doo-e sausage cook this morning and here's where I got with the roux before adding clucker stock and holy trinity - - - I was pleased at that time but things started to change - - - I'll do another thread with more pics and stuff but I'm concerned that the taste might be a "Fail" :whiteflag: - - - it's sure looking oily to me - - - sure won't be the first time I've scroux'd da Gumbeaux :banghead:
IMG_0034.JPG
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:21 am

Looking pretty good to me, just make sure there's no black speck's. (Burnt) :shock:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:05 pm

no black freckles, Willie, I lucked out this time :tup:
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:31 pm

if i want the roux a little less oily
then i use 1/2 cup corn oil or bacon grease
to 1-cup of flour
most of my rouxs are with left-over bacon grease
and usually just a little less grease than flour
but usually 1-cup of flour

this is my left-over bacon grease roux