From the Poconos to the BIG STATE

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

From the Poconos to the BIG STATE

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:17 am

Happy Texas Independance Day guys & girls.
Enjoy your special day !
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: From the Poconos to the BIG STATE

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:56 am

Thank You, Thank You

While we did gain and enjoy our independence from Mexico we retain some of that culture to also enjoy.
Now if we could just gain independence from all the politicians and retain none of their culture....... :texas:
tarde venientibus ossa....
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:08 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Thank you Pocono Pardnah, as a Fourth Generation Bowie, just let me add that the Rebels fought hand in hand with our local Hispanic Brothers who were being over run by the Dictator Santa Anna, as well. My Avatar explains my first loyalty :texas:

Here's a Classic Marty Robbins song to Honor those brave men that were responsible for what we enjoy Now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyu3OIn5A00

IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:40 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Happy Texas Independance Day guys & girls.
Enjoy your special day !

Ditto that!

Any good Q planned? ;)
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 pm

(Got a briskie on the Pellet Pooper) fingers crossed since 6am
On Feb 24th 1836, William Barret Travis wrote the following letter appealing for help for the Texican Rebels that were at the Alamo.

Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World-

Fellow Citizens & compatriots-

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna - I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man - The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken - I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls - I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch - The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country - Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis.

Lt. Col.comdt.

P. S. The Lord is on our side - When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn - We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:11 pm

worthy of a Bump before it's over :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas:

Return to “General Discussion”