MudBug 101 a tutorial

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

MudBug 101 a tutorial

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:19 pm

We finally got out today and drove to Wolfies' On The Lake. Mainly so I could get a Crawfish Fix and "Fix" I did :tup:

Plenty of yeller signs letting folks know that "The Season" has arrived and is in full swing.
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

Ordered me a couple of pounds instead of my regular 3 or 4 just to make sure they still know how to boil them and season them. And at $7.99 a pound my appetite seems to be not so vigorous today. :whiteflag:
IMG_0009.JPG

This is the way I was taught to "ENJOY" these Crustaceans by a former resident of N'Orlins many many years ago.

1. Using both hands you firmly grip the "Bug" with your fingers - - - one hand holds the haid and the other holds the tail.
IMG_0010.JPG

2. Then gently twist in opposite directions, separating the two parts.
IMG_0011.JPG

3. Now while holding the tail piece in the palm of one hand, use that index fanger to reach down into the haid and scoop out the fat and spices, then "suck" the "stuff" off of your finger and from the remaining haid.
IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

4. Now comes the tail meat so gently peel the top ring of shell from that piece.
IMG_0013.JPG

5. Gently bite and "hold" the tail meat while squeezing the tip of the shell and that tail meat should pop right into your "mouff". VOILA :tup:
IMG_0018.JPG

Now repeat those steps until all the mudbugs are consumed and you have a finished product that looks like this.
IMG_0019.JPG

Total time for a real "Kawneesewer" is approx 10 to 15 seconds per bug - - - - "practice makes perfect" :salut:

Note: our lovely model for today was on loan (parole) from The Autumn Hills Crawfish Anonymous. :drunk: :roll: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Re: MudBug 101 a tutorial

Postby Williep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes sir, now that's what I'm talking about. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Yip, same way Andrew zimmern does it, suck the head,lol. We call similar things Koura. Or fresh water crays.
I hope to try these some day when I get to the states.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:54 pm

If you ever come to our side of the States and they are available AND I'm still Mobile :D , I will treat you to as many as you can eat and carry away - - - - been awhile since I've purged and boiled but I'm sure it would come back to me - - - - we could also do some shrimp and crab and then let'em steam in a styrofoam ice chest - - - - YUM YUM YUM
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Love me some crawfish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:14 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:If you ever come to our side of the States and they are available AND I'm still Mobile :D , I will treat you to as many as you can eat and carry away - - - - been awhile since I've purged and boiled but I'm sure it would come back to me - - - - we could also do some shrimp and crab and then let'em steam in a styrofoam ice chest - - - - YUM YUM YUM

Awesome. :chef: :chef: :chef:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 am

lookin' good
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:22 am

Excellent technique OUP.

The only difference between yours and mine is while sucking the heads, I squeeze the head to crack the shell making vent holes at the back. I have been accused of being able to suck start a 747 when eating crawfish. 8)

In Houma, LA for a few days for funeral, visiting, helping and old aunt, etc. We will hide a few in our tummies over the next few days.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am

egghead wrote:Excellent technique OUP.

The only difference between yours and mine is while sucking the heads, I squeeze the head to crack the shell making vent holes at the back. I have been accused of being able to suck start a 747 when eating crawfish. 8)

In Houma, LA for a few days for funeral, visiting, helping and old aunt, etc. We will hide a few in our tummies over the next few days.

:laughing7: :D :lol: "747" , thanks, Egg :tup: I have known and sat by a few that use your style as well - - - I've even had folks get up and move to another table BUT the wiffy was with me yestiddy so I behaved myself.

Kudos to Y'all for helping and enjoy what you can when you can. :salut:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Hey OUP
We got what we call Crawdads here. I'm quessing they be the same. :dont:
I've never have had the chance to try em. They are supposed to be tasty from what folks have told me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out your method someday. Tho I think I'll pass on sucking out the guts :laughing7:

Bill
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:56 pm

You're not really sucking the guts. The yellow stuff is just crawfish fat. Properly cooked, the bodies will absorb the boiling spices. I'll usually suck first, cracking the shell a little to get a little venturi action, then little finger goes in to collect the fat. Then attack the tail meat. My wife is so good at that, she doesn't need to pull the first "ring" off first.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:04 pm

bondobill wrote:Hey OUP
We got what we call Crawdads here. I'm quessing they be the same. :dont:
I've never have had the chance to try em. They are supposed to be tasty from what folks have told me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out your method someday. Tho I think I'll pass on sucking out the guts :laughing7:
Bill

Same "Bug", Wild Bill, and as Rex said - - - that is fat and not guts - - - after you purge them they are clean and suckable "well after boiling of course" :laughing7: :D :lol: It's all up to who's eating but without the fat and spices from the haid you've really cheated youself. :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 pm

rexster314 wrote: My wife is so good at that, she doesn't need to pull the first "ring" off first.

10-4, if they're cooked properly then the process goes much faster - - - just open mouth, squeeze tail and bon appetite :tup:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Ok....got it :D
I kinda was comparing them to shrimp. :lol: No way would I eat Shrimp guts

Return to “General Discussion”