Questionable Quail ?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Questionable Quail ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Decided to defrost one of the frozen pkg of what my oldest son called "Quail". The way it was processed kinda has me confused as to whether it is really Quail or not. Most Bob Whites that I have ever dressed an eaten were not this large so maybe I'm familiar with a different species. One thing for sure is that it does have that great wild game smell and feel to it and there are some "Pellet Holes" (the bang bang type pellets not the grilling kind). Two labels telling of the location and restrictions but no species name.

I am tempted to finish boning out the center breast rib bone pieces and use the other meat in either a bacon wrapped and stuffed grilled piece OR maybe marinate and grill like venison back strap. :dont:
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Questionable Quail ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 pm

After I boned off the breast bone and wish bone, I came out with four nice filets and a Plan for two of these beauties. Dat'll be nudder thread later - - - - charcoal is being lit as I type. :tup:
IMG_0037.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm

looks good too me
keep it COLD until you cook it
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 pm

looking more like pheasant? even blue quail aren't that large, just my best guess, pheasant should be about chicken size though so I am not sure...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 pm

ST, the meat cooked out white like chicken breast - - - I considered a pheasant possibility also but my Son said it was Quail :dont:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:30 am

just a curious thought, :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:43 am

spacetrucker wrote:just a curious thought, :D

trust me I KNOW all too well - - - BESIDES THAT - - - I still have another frozen Pkg to "mystery cook" :laughing7: :lol: - - - yum yum

Return to “General Discussion”