So much for retirement

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

So much for retirement

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 am

13 years ago I made a move of my auto body shop from a falling down 100 year old building to a new faclility we built on a acre of industrial property I had purchased.
I was pushing 50 years old at the time and I figured that would get me to retirement. :lol:
My son.... third generation panel beater....started managing the shop 3 years ago and is part owner of the business now. :D Well thanks to my sons managing skills we've outgrown the building.
Here I go again :shock:

image.jpeg

Broke ground 2 weeks ago on a 5700 sq ft addition.
Going be a long next 2 months. I just hope I live long enough to see it finished. :lol:

Oh yea...this year marks 60 years ago that me pops started the body shop. We never had a grand opening when we moved here 13 years ago. We plan on having one when the new addition is done. I'v be been elected to do the smoking for it....thinking pulled pork :cheers:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: So much for retirement

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:46 am

and lots of Breeeewwwwww :tup: :cheers: makes me feel good to see a long running FAMILY BUSINESS, especially Auto Related - - - once those exhaust fumes gets in yer blood you're hooked 8)

Congrats on the Longevity, Success and New Quarters - - - Good Luck in all that Y'all do :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:05 am

Congratulations, and best of luck to you and the family!
Moink!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:33 am

Bueno! Like to hear stories like this. Kudos on ya!
tarde venientibus ossa....
ctscribe USER_AVATAR
Ctscribe
Pilgrim

Postby Ctscribe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Continuied Success with the family business and the Pulled Pork feast :pig:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks y'all for the kind replies :D
Too be honest I wasn't too excited during the planning stage but now that we've started I be looking forward to having a lot more room. My sons been dealing with the whole expansion. :D
The only thing I've had to do was visiting with my banker :lol:

One of the main reasons for the expansion is cause we live in a farming community. Repairs on Full size 4x4 pickups and SUVs account for better then 65 percent of our repair invoices. Lots of weeks we will have a shop full trucks. They take up a whole lot more room then a rice burner. :laughing7: Throw in a occasional repair on School buses and motor homes and ya run out of room in a hurry. :cheers:

Bill
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Now I know where your handle comes from. Takes me a little extra time.

Outstanding story and achievement Bondo Bill.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Yo, Wild Bill, are Y'all recycling IBC Totes also or is that your Neighbors collection behind your addition? My youngest son recycles IBC's for a living. :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:24 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Yo, Wild Bill, are Y'all recycling IBC Totes also or is that your Neighbors collection behind your addition? My youngest son recycles IBC's for a living. :D

Thats the Farmers COOP fertilizer plant next door OUP. Like I said I'm in a farming community.
Across the street from us is a John Deere dealership. The owner of the JD dealership is who I bought my property from. He named our street in this developement "Evergreen" street. Ain't a dang fir tree in sight :laughing7:

Bill
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Nice family story bill, great your son is carrying on and you have that connection with your son. Look forward to the build pics and your opening cook.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Very nice. Love to see the family run businesses thriving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Hope yer fence is also recovered Bill! :laughing7:

On a more serious note, keep an eye on the fertilizer plant, a little Czech town down here all Texans love for their kolaches and slobasniki had one of those. Emphasis on had.

All of around here like our ChileFarmers and Eggheads and UsedPartsers and panel beaters and want 'em to stick around fer a while, last thing I wanna hear is you took the eight second ride on an ammonium nitrate cloud. Living next to one of those is like driving a dynamite truck.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Boots wrote:Hope yer fence is also recovered Bill! :laughing7:

On a more serious note, keep an eye on the fertilizer plant, a little Czech town down here all Texans love for their kolaches and slobasniki had one of those. Emphasis on had.

All of around here like our ChileFarmers and Eggheads and UsedPartsers and panel beaters and want 'em to stick around fer a while, last thing I wanna hear is you took the eight second ride on an ammonium nitrate cloud. Living next to one of those is like driving a dynamite truck.

The &%@+ing fence is coming out. :lol: Sick of dealing with the snow drifts that build up behind it. Both my buddys and my truck are on the schedule for repairs in April :D

The fertilizer plant was built about 5 years ago. Hopefully it wont turn into a Mt St Helens any time soon. :cheers:

Bill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Congrats Bill!!
(Insert witty signature here)
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw