So much for retirement

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: So much for retirement

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 am

Boots tells the truth. That was a bad time around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:21 am

Been several years since I've been through West or dropped by Czech Stop - - - - what does the country look like after the tragedy :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Been several years since I've been through West or dropped by Czech Stop - - - - what does the country look like after the tragedy :?:

Haven't ventured off 35 far enough to see…but last trip down the construction at that exit sucked! :)

I'll probably get rotten tomatoes thrown at me for this but I actually prefer to stop at the new Slovacek's across 35. Easier in and out, clean bathrooms, lots of gas pumps, good Kolaches and I load up on ring Bologna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks ya'll for the congrats and to you Boots for the concern bout the Fertilizer plant. I hate to even tell ya whats next door to that. Its the COOPs Propane facility :dont:
I just hope if the "$#!+" hits the fan its on a weekend. Buildings be easy to rebuild...life not so much.

We have definitely a family business. Pops started it 60 years ago. I bought it from him in the mid 80s. At the time my brother and myself where his only employees. My brother decided then not to go into partnership on the business. He's been my head painter going on better then 30 years....not bad for a guy that lost his right arm in a accident when he was 20 years old.

Besides my son and my brother...my daughter is our receptionist, scheduler and checks in parts. My better half of 35 years does the books and fills in for our daughter when our daughter cant be there.
As for myself I am back to where I started 50 years ago. I am now the paint prepper, detailer and all around grunt. :lol: ... and I aint ever been "happier" :cheers:

Thanks
Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 am

that is an American Made Bizz, Wild Bill :tup: :salut: :cheers:

but be honest - - - do you "still" use Bondo :?: :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:that is an American Made Bizz, Wild Bill :tup: :salut: :cheers:

but be honest - - - do you "still" use Bondo :?: :laughing7: :D :lol:

No Bondo used here :laughing7:
Now they call it Ultra light polyester body filler. :roll: :laughing7:

I believe the Bondo brand name is still out there :dont:

Bill
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:51 am

Congrat's on your business. :cheers: :cheers:
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Big congrats, BB! I, too, come from a long family tradition of Auto Body Repair. My grandfather opened up Schnitkers Auto Body Repair in 1947. My father grew up in the business and took over when my grandfather retired in the early 80's. My father owned and operated the business until about 2 years ago when he sold the business to his long-time body man of 30+ years. I missed the auto-body gene myself. When I turned 15, I bought my first truck (1985 Toyota 4x4) and since dad owned a body shop, first thing I wanted to do was get a new paint job. He agreed that he would do all of the body work, but that I would have to do all of the sanding. I agreed and when it came time to sand, I sanded on that baby for about a week. The tips of my fingers were bleeding and I went to my dad and said, "ok, I think she's ready!" He came and took a good look and said, "yep, you've got a good start on it!" :| I sanded and sanded and sanded for another week before it was ready. By the time I finished, I wanted nothing to do with that business. :lol: In retrospect, I think he did that to me for that exact purpose. I've had an office job ever since and today I look back and think that I'd really like to have a job where I am a bit more active. Sitting in a chair all day long is no good for the health.

Long story short, the gentleman who bought the business from my dad kept the name as it is a well-known name in our city for collision repair.

auto body.jpg
auto body.jpg (18.74 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Schnitkers, no disrespect but sounds like a candy bar. Lol, like the last candy bar in the auto shop on Seinfeld, that's a good episode.

http://youtu.be/gHbYOwkJPpA

Cool story too, I too chose an easier path , rather than hard manual work.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 pm

tex_toby wrote:Big congrats, BB! I, too, come from a long family tradition of Auto Body Repair. My grandfather opened up Schnitkers Auto Body Repair in 1947. My father grew up in the business and took over when my grandfather retired in the early 80's. My father owned and operated the business until about 2 years ago when he sold the business to his long-time body man of 30+ years. I missed the auto-body gene myself. When I turned 15, I bought my first truck (1985 Toyota 4x4) and since dad owned a body shop, first thing I wanted to do was get a new paint job. He agreed that he would do all of the body work, but that I would have to do all of the sanding. I agreed and when it came time to sand, I sanded on that baby for about a week. The tips of my fingers were bleeding and I went to my dad and said, "ok, I think she's ready!" He came and took a good look and said, "yep, you've got a good start on it!" :| I sanded and sanded and sanded for another week before it was ready. By the time I finished, I wanted nothing to do with that business. :lol: In retrospect, I think he did that to me for that exact purpose. I've had an office job ever since and today I look back and think that I'd really like to have a job where I am a bit more active. Sitting in a chair all day long is no good for the health.

Long story short, the gentleman who bought the business from my dad kept the name as it is a well-known name in our city for collision repair.

auto body.jpg

Thanks Tex Toby for your replie :cheers:
Kinda cool to find out that I weren't the only young one growing up to have bloody finger tips. A few years back I applied for a NEXUS card so I can cross the Canadien/USA border easier. When they went to take my fingerprints :scratch: ....I aint got none. :laughing7:
Growing up in the fender bender business is all Ive ever known. I hated it when I was in high school. Last thing that I wanted to do at that age was be a body man. My senior year in high school I was accepted to attend a 4 year college. It came down to which one I hated the least ....school or body work. Ive never regretted my decision and aint looked back since :D
I was born a car guy and that is what I be.. plain and simple :cheers:

Bill
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 am

Well Texas ain't the only one getting rain :lol:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They were supposed to pour concrete today. :(
Hopefully next week if the weather man is right :roll:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:36 am

Keeps the foundation from drying out :laughing7: :D :lol:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 pm

A wee bit of progress on our expansion :D

They got the 110 yards of concrete poured last Tuesday. 3 hours after they got it sealed it started raining .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Started setting up the metal yesterday
image.jpeg

:cheers:

Bill
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Looking good, I don't see any plumbing sticking up through that concrete.
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Coming along nicely bill.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:

Return to “General Discussion”