Remembering a Friend Today

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Remembering a Friend Today

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Remembering Bob Bruce, a departed friend that I miss every day. Ol Bob loved good food, especially Walleye (that's a fish for you Suthern'ers) Since he lived in Minnesota we kept in touch by phone as often as we could and we talked a lot about FOOD for sometimes 2 to 3 hours. Thank God for free long distance. Anyhow, one day we were talking and he was telling me how Walleye was the BEST FISH IN THE WORLD. OK, I was raised on the Gulf Coast and was an avid Fisherman both Fresh and Saltwater but, according to Bob, I haven't had good fish "YET". hahaha He also told me that during "Lent" Culver's serves fried Walleye and today I went there and Remembered my friend and Pigged Out on some darned good Fish. "MIss Ya Bob"

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0020.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Remembering a Friend Today

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:42 pm

I tend to agree with Bob well mostly. Walleye is darn good eat'n.
My son one when he lived in Minnesota was a pro walleye fisherman so his freezer was always stocked and I could raid whenever there.... Then he moved to Oklahoma.. :dont:
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:50 pm

?Really? - - My friend was a Fishing Guide out of Peguot Lakes - - I'll bet the knew each other :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I giggled it , I'd eat that fish, I'm not big on fish EXCEPT blue cod. They look similar in texture. Your friend was lucky to know you.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I was the fortunate one, Pard, and the hilarious thing about our friendship was the he would disagree and argue with ?almost? everything I said and sometimes I'd do the same :laughing7: :D :lol: He and I met on a Hot Rod Forum and I was looking for a mid 50s GMC stepside PU and not only did he find one for me but he drove over 2 hours away to look at it and take pics and even a video (his Wife was helping a lot). Then he sent all of that to me, I called the owner and made a deal, sent him a cashiers check and then Bob and Karen drove over with a trailer, picked it up, did the transaction and took it to his house and stored it until I could arrange a car hauler to bring it to me. All he would take for his trouble was gas money and I had to buy him and her Lunch. :laughing7: :D :lol: As we grew closer, I would send boiled crawfish, collard greens, pickled okra and such suthern goodies that they didn't have up there. Almost exactly a year ago, they took a road trip and drove all the way from Florida just to meet us and hang out for a couple days - - - he passed away six months later BUT what great memories he left all who knew him.

KB1.jpg
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm

The most valuable thing in the world (after yer bride) is a good friend. Here's to Bob <gluggg>
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Cheers to your departed friend and good memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Nice story emm, ain't it great to know there's still nice people in the world, although now departed, that would that for you. I think I would have liked him.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Hey buddy, we've talked thru PM in the past about things like this. I am very sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy, but do what I've been doing lately ( I've had a lot of practice unfortunately ) and try to remember all of the good times, the laughter and funny stories. That is what Will get you thru the days. And most of all, always celebrate his LIFE.
Remember, if you never met him at all, how incomplete your journey would be at this point in your life as well.

Prayers from the Poconos my friend !!

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Yea OUP , losing a close friend is tough. Tho they pass on your memories of them last a life time.
I lost a really close friend about 30 years ago. A fly fishing buddy he was. Still think about him every time out fishing. Named our son after him.
I still chuckle to this day when I think about some of the stuff we did together.

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 pm

'ol Bob went out hard and painful and I knew instantly that he wasn't in pain any longer and was in a much better place - - - don't know if they have Walleye fishing there but that's his problem :laughing7: He had been in the VA Hosp for over 3 months and had contracted pneumonia so the phone conversations at the end were so very hard on him so I would just call and do all the talking the last couple of calls AND "LMAO" I tried not to say anything that he might want to disagree with :laughing7: :D :lol: - - - then I got that call from his wife one night and knew instantly that my Pal was not suffering any longer :tup:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 am

Being born and raised in Minnesota, I can vouch for the claim that Walleye is best. My second favorite fish is Red Snapper. I have no time for trout, even though I spent over 20 years in Colorado.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 am

I wonder why Culver's "only" serves Walleye during Lent :?: any other time it's North Atlantic Cod. :dont:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 am

He's probably in a much better place than the darn hospital, sounds like you had a great friend that you will alway's remember.

Return to “General Discussion”