So much for Color - Blaaah

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

So much for Color - Blaaah

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:39 am

I bought some red/purple own-yawns not long ago and they are so strong I can't stand them - - - not the heat just the overpowering taste so the trash is getting some Color today. Guess some folks never learn eh ? :whiteflag: :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Re: So much for Color - Blaaah

Postby cowboydon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:05 am

Did you get them at Kroger ?? - I bought some not long ago and had the same feelings - they used to be my favorites ... moving more towards onions labled sweet now a days
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:31 am

HEB, Sir Don, I too have switched back to 100% Sweet which was my previous preference. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 am

I got my love of onions from my Meemaw. I used to go grocery shopping with her and she'd always pick the big flat purple onions. The closer to looking like a UFO the better. They were always good. I can't seem to find anything other than baseball and softball shaped anymore and they are not as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:52 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I bought some red/purple own-yawns not long ago and they are so strong I can't stand them - - - not the heat just the overpowering taste so the trash is getting some Color today. Guess some folks never learn eh ? :whiteflag: :banghead:

Red onions have a bite! You can tame this somewhat by vinegar or water soakings after you slice or dice. I've had yellow and white onyawns almost as bad, too. :|
Moink!
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 am

as Sailor said you can rinse the slices after you cut the onion
soak in vinegar water
or soak in sugar water
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am

thanks, in the past I have rinsed own-yawns under the faucet before slicing, squeezing them as I did - - I prefer Vidalias but they're not always available :salut:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:22 pm

I've been using shallots a lot lately, wife grew some last year and I'm loving them, more sweeter and delicate flavours, these ones were shaped oval like, slight red colour. I've always loved onions with everything, even beetroot n onion sammiches.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:17 pm

don't throw in trash, cut in half, sprinkle with favorite seasoning and set on the grill until they turn soft, or charred if you like, them charred.
they will then be sweet. Try it you'll like it... didn't believe it till I did it for an added nicety, make a small cup of foil so it has no seams and place a small pad of butter on top of the fresh oinion 8) :thap:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm :?: :tup: :salut:

Return to “General Discussion”