Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Txdragon wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]Used to back in the day,before the wife,house and our little guy came about.
Big Bowtie fan,used to have an Iroc z and a GTA and a 78 Chevy C10 with a small block 400 4bolt main,Turbo 400 trans with a 3,000 stall and shift kit.
If I dig deep, I might be able to locate some sub par pics lol. If so, I'll post em on this thread. Last few cars have been somewhat realistic.Chevy Astro van,1986,Camaro Berlinetta,1984,Camaro rs,1989 ( 5.0 tbi ),Camaro Iroc -Z,1987 ( 5.0 tpi ),Pontiac Trans am GTA 1988 ( 5.7 tpi ), Grand Prix gt 2001,Honda Accord ex 1999, Gmc Sonoma1999,and an old school Prelude si, 1989 , the rs and Grand Prix were creeping up to the 300,000 mark ( we commute alot ).
Now we roll with my wife's 2016 Kia Optima 2.4 and my baby, 2011 Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo.

What's funny is my 2 litre will run circles around any of them, it's a true sleeper.
Turnkey ( we'll push button ) ready to go with 38 mpg and all the power I could want.
Although, if I had the time or money I'd probably look into changing the turbo and maybe a chip and exhaust, but right now I have my little buddy to put my time into, AND $$$ lol...Man, this kid can eat lol .

Kool thread txdragon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

The Optima SX is no joke lol. When I ran auto-x, Nissan was my forte. I had 5 of them, all 240's. One of them I built to beastmode. I'll dig up some of those pics. I have only owned 2 Hondas in my lifetime, and only one of those has ever gotten any real wrench time from me; my current car. After having this one for a year, I see what the craze is about. They are easy to maintain, you can find parts PRACTICALLY at the grocery store; They have an enormous aftermarket following; many parts for competitive prices; They are SNEAKY fast. The only cars I ever had any real challenge from in my monster 240 was from Honda done right.
I think I've unlocked the secret to their success. They aren't really torque producing monsters by any means, but they will scoot. They are super lightweight and when you can get 1 hp per 10 lbs of vehicle or better, you're going to be hard to catch, no matter what you're driving lol[/quote]
Yup, I have the ex not an sx.
All the more reason it's a sleeper.
Doesn't have all the extra bling that the sx has, but an ex option back in 2011 was the turbo on an ex.
Only those that know what to look for will see the very very small ( t ) before the gdi emblem on the trunk lid.
Hey, I got heated and air cooled seats, nav,a full glass roof and the turbo so I'm set.
It's funny, the wife has a brand new 2016 and she drives mine 90 days to my 10 lol.

Oh, I got an air conditioned glove box LMAO...
Don't laugh, I've actually used it to keep my """" beverages"""' cold in the summer :oops: :oops: :oops: :idea: :idea: :idea:

As for the 240's, awesome rides.
Great drifting cars from what I hear.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Papa Tom wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]Lol Russ !!
I wish I knew where these kids put the food intake !!

:laughing7: My boys were both wrestlers and every year the day after state finals I'd sit down @ the dinner table and tell the wife "I'm not eating 'cause you just did not prepare enough food".......and of course I was correct... :laughing7:[/quote]
Lol Papa, so I'm guessing u didn't have many leftovers in ur household ?!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Here was the beast 240
ca240-2.jpg

Engine shot. Right after I rebuilt it for some real damage! I didn't take any other shots than this one, sadly..
support.jpg

My favorite track runner, LIGHTLY modded and super fun on the road, but had almost no interior..
coupe008.jpg

And my daily driver. I loved the body style of the S14 models, but they felt so unbalanced compared to the S13 (shown above)
compingtrip004.jpg

I have 2 others to add, but photobucket is being a pain. It took me near an hour to grab these :deadhorse:
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Pretty Kool body style weren't they !?!?
Best thing they did was make them rwd..
Like I've always said, I'll take push over pull any day of the week !

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 pm

That car looks like it would be a cool drift car, I'm assuming you guys have it there, it's called a sport here, heck I was doing it at 15 in a mk III zephyr in the rain,lol.

This is the type of car. Same colour too,lol
image.jpg

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:That car looks like it would be a cool drift car, I'm assuming you guys have it there, it's called a sport here, heck I was doing it at 15 in a mk III zephyr in the rain,lol.

This is the type of car. Same colour too,lol
image.jpg

Russ

Drifting has reached a huge following here. I have many friends that drift. They are where I bought the 240s from lol Most of them were trying to encourage me to drift rather than auto-x, they didn't want to see the Nissans miss out on what they were intended. With a near perfect corner balance; 52/48 split, I figured they would be good for other disciplines as well 8) That's a nice Zephyr! I've only seen them in pics, of course, and including this one, can still count them on 1 hand :laughing7:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 pm

They were a dime a dozen years ago, but are fetching good prices now, rwd was brilliant and the 6 cyl had some grunt, mate and I used to drive round our streets drifting, how we never crashed or the cops never got us is beyond me, I think you would enjoy it. Young people have no idea about steering out of a slide etc. drifting taught me a lot. I'm looking for a car that have many happy memories with the kids in growing up.they go for around 20k and upwards .

Russ
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Been a gear head forever :D
Pops got me into back in the 60s

My son Brent and I restored a 68 GTO he had found .
It turned out to be a real goat tho not numbers matching
We started tearing it apart in Oct of 2011 in my shop at home

At the time we started I told Brent we would have her back on the road in 6 months :roll:

2 1/2 years later she was back on the road

Stick shift, tho now it's got a 5 sp manual

And good ole American muscle. 400 ci Poncho bored and stroked to 464 and a few other extra goodies

It's a whole lot more fun to drive then my stock 69 Vette :lol:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:55 pm

You truly are blessed bill, and on top of it a beautiful car, built with your son, absolutely brilliant. You can't put a price on that. You both done a good job. :D

Russ
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:11 am

Gorgeous GTO!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:47 am

bsooner75 wrote:I like to drink beer while watching them go fast and turn left…does that count?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:?: Count :?: I'm pretty sure that's a requirement :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 am

bsooner75 wrote:I like to drink beer while watching them go fast and turn left…does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! I'm not a fan of NASCAR. Not that I don't respect it, I just think driving in circles is what most people try to avoid doing. Lol
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:31 am

Nice Car, Wild Bill, show'n off your Rides is ?almost? as much fun and post'n pics of your Grandbabies. :tup: 8) Altho, I've owned and "stupidly sold" several Vintage Rides, THIS had to have been my favorite to own, partially build and play with.
OLD SKOOL WAS THE RULE :tup:
Oh how I wish I had her back. :roll:
AFTER.jpg

Motor.jpg

100_3069.JPG

55Bowtie-Bluedot-After.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 am

"Beautiful " Chevy OUP :salut:
I bet ya do wish to have that back.

Bill
88rxna
Rustler

Postby 88rxna » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/1d34974211982dc69a28a1154b79df01.jpg[/img]
I rebuilt a 1987 Mazda rx7 tii from the ground up. I did everything myself but rebuilt the engine. Would have had 400 to the wheels but I sold the car to buy a house before I had it tuned professionally.

Return to “General Discussion”