Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:15 pm

I've been a bit preoccupied in my spare time lately trying to tune my civic. It's not insanely modified or anything, (yet) but mild, with almost all standard bolt-ons available. It was in need of a good tune so I decided to take those matters into my own hands!
20170404_180439.jpg

I've never done any of my own tuning, even my autocross days, I had somebody else handle that. I did about 90% of my wrenching though. Figured I'd branch out a little and play around with the FI stuff. As it's going lately, I'll be an alcoholic before summer. Lol

Anybody else suffer mod mania?
(Insert witty signature here)
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Re: Calling all gearheads, grease monkies, and race fans!

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm a car nut as well, used to do a lot of stuff myself but I'm limited with garaging. My garage is a 1 and a half car fit. I just pay someone to do my stuff now, even to mow my lawns. I used to take the mustang to car shows but when they started charging to take my car in, I stopped going. It's all about the money apparently. Like you I've never tuned a motor cycle or a car I've owned. Not really keen to learn either,lol.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:I'm a car nut as well, used to do a lot of stuff myself but I'm limited with garaging. My garage is a 1 and a half car fit. I just pay someone to do my stuff now, even to mow my lawns. I used to take the mustang to car shows but when they started charging to take my car in, I stopped going. It's all about the money apparently. Like you I've never tuned a motor cycle or a car I've owned. Not really keen to learn either,lol.

Russ

It's not as difficult as I expected, nor as easy either :banghead: Half of what I need to know can be figured out with a handful of mathematical equations, but I am missing info on most of those variables :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: SO.. It all comes down to seat-of-my-pants style trial and error.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Well I have been a motor head I guess most of my life.
Have some Corvettes but the only mods a very minor (like relocating the intake temperature sensor). Since I'm not really interested in wringing out the the last bit of performance these days I just play with the toys.

Early on (like 50 years ago) I did some tuning especially on my dirt bikes and had a lot of fun.

Today with the computer controls it is a totally different scene although I don't fear 1's and 0's there must be a learning curve on how they are manipulated.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Russ and I got to know each other on a Hot Rod Forum. I was "AVID" at one time but sold my last Vintage Tin several months ago. I'll just watch and reminisce from now on. 8)
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Well I have been a motor head I guess most of my life.
Have some Corvettes but the only mods a very minor (like relocating the intake temperature sensor). Since I'm not really interested in wringing out the the last bit of performance these days I just play with the toys.

Early on (like 50 years ago) I did some tuning especially on my dirt bikes and had a lot of fun.

Today with the computer controls it is a totally different scene although I don't fear 1's and 0's there must be a learning curve on how they are manipulated.

The most basic of mods that everyone who can do, should! IAT relocation is a good start at tricking the ecu into giving you more fuel. I did the same on mine recently, partially because I had to relocate it since I didn't feel like drilling a new bung on my intake mani.. :laughing7: I figured I would relocate it closer to my filter, which is right behind my bumper. My IAT readings RARELY go over 80 deg 8)

The basics of PGMFI is A LOT to take in, i'll give it that. It doesn't get the respect it deserves due to too many people just putting on their parts and expecting results. The ECU can only compensate so much before it says, "Eff it, I'm done.." That's where engine management systems come in.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Russ and I got to know each other on a Hot Rod Forum. I was "AVID" at one time but sold my last Vintage Tin several months ago. I'll just watch and reminisce from now on. 8)

Oh nice! One of the beasts I'd love to tackle one day is the good ol' fashioned carbureted platform. I've rebuilt an old Holley 4bbl but swore i'd never do it again..
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm

I like to drink beer while watching them go fast and turn left…does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:45 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I like to drink beer while watching them go fast and turn left…does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Counts in my books,lol. My wife hates car racing, I get to spend a whole day when they have the Bathurst 500 in Australia every year. She just makes different plans when that comes round. It's a great day ford vs gm (Holden).

Russ

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Used to back in the day,before the wife,house and our little guy came about.
Big Bowtie fan,used to have an Iroc z and a GTA and a 78 Chevy C10 with a small block 400 4bolt main,Turbo 400 trans with a 3,000 stall and shift kit.
If I dig deep, I might be able to locate some sub par pics lol. If so, I'll post em on this thread. Last few cars have been somewhat realistic.Chevy Astro van,1986,Camaro Berlinetta,1984,Camaro rs,1989,Camaro Iroc -Z,1987,Pontiac Trans am GTA 1988, Grand Prix gt 2001,Honda Accord ex 1999, Gmc Sonoma1999,and an old school Prelude si, 1989 , the rs and Grand Prix were creeping up to the 300,000 mark ( we commute alot ).
Now we roll with my wife's 2016 Kia Optima 2.4 and my baby, 2011 Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo.

What's funny is my 2 litre will run circles around any of them, it's a true sleeper.
Turnkey ( we'll push button ) ready to go with 38 mpg and all the power I could want.
Although, if I had the time or money I'd probably look into changing the turbo and maybe a chip and exhaust, but right now I have my little buddy to put my time into, AND $$$ lol...Man, this kid can eat lol .

Kool thread txdragon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Used to back in the day,before the wife,house and our little guy came about.
Big Bowtie fan,used to have an Iroc z and a GTA and a 78 Chevy C10 with a small block 400 4bolt main,Turbo 400 trans with a 3,000 stall and shift kit.
If I dig deep, I might be able to locate some sub par pics lol. If so, I'll post em on this thread. Last few cars have been somewhat realistic.Chevy Astro van,1986,Camaro Berlinetta,1984,Camaro rs,1989 ( 5.0 tbi ),Camaro Iroc -Z,1987 ( 5.0 tpi ),Pontiac Trans am GTA 1988 ( 5.7 tpi ), Grand Prix gt 2001,Honda Accord ex 1999, Gmc Sonoma1999,and an old school Prelude si, 1989 , the rs and Grand Prix were creeping up to the 300,000 mark ( we commute alot ).
Now we roll with my wife's 2016 Kia Optima 2.4 and my baby, 2011 Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo.

What's funny is my 2 litre will run circles around any of them, it's a true sleeper.
Turnkey ( we'll push button ) ready to go with 38 mpg and all the power I could want.
Although, if I had the time or money I'd probably look into changing the turbo and maybe a chip and exhaust, but right now I have my little buddy to put my time into, AND $$$ lol...Man, this kid can eat lol .

kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Lol, wife and I just looked after our sons 3 kids while him and his wife went to a wedding . Away 4 days aged 3 , nearly 5 and nearly 8, I still can't believe the food they put away. Our son was also a huge eater, but not an ounce of fat on him. I guess the gene went to his kids too. You wonder where it goes??

Keep the youngin on the Q. Wv.

Russ
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Lol Russ !!
I wish I knew where these kids put the food intake !!

We're gonna definitely give him the chance to try all types of foods. We're gonna get him started on healthy, home garden foods as soon as I plant one lol.
Hopefully he doesn't eat like I did as a kid, hoping he likes vegetables just as much as Q.
We gave him some prime rib that we cut up into small pieces and mixed it with linguini and tomato/garlic and he looked like a man on a mission !! He tore it up, lol.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:13 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Used to back in the day,before the wife,house and our little guy came about.
If I dig deep, I might be able to locate some sub par pics lol. If so, I'll post em on this thread. Last few cars have been somewhat realistic.Chevy Astro van,1986,Camaro Berlinetta,1984,Camaro rs,1989 ( 5.0 tbi ),Camaro Iroc -Z,1987 ( 5.0 tpi ),Pontiac Trans am GTA 1988 ( 5.7 tpi ), Grand Prix gt 2001,Honda Accord ex 1999, Gmc Sonoma1999,and an old school Prelude si, 1989 , the rs and Grand Prix were creeping up to the 300,000 mark ( we commute alot ).

The Optima SX is no joke lol. When I ran auto-x, Nissan was my forte. I had 5 of them, all 240's. One of them I built to beastmode. I'll dig up some of those pics. I have only owned 2 Hondas in my lifetime, and only one of those has ever gotten any real wrench time from me; my current car. After having this one for a year, I see what the craze is about. They are easy to maintain, you can find parts PRACTICALLY at the grocery store; They have an enormous aftermarket following; many parts for competitive prices; They are SNEAKY fast. The only cars I ever had any real challenge from in my monster 240 was from Honda done right.
I think I've unlocked the secret to their success. They aren't really torque producing monsters by any means, but they will scoot. They are super lightweight and when you can get 1 hp per 10 lbs of vehicle or better, you're going to be hard to catch, no matter what you're driving lol
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Lol Russ !!
I wish I knew where these kids put the food intake !!

:laughing7: My boys were both wrestlers and every year the day after state finals I'd sit down @ the dinner table and tell the wife "I'm not eating 'cause you just did not prepare enough food".......and of course I was correct... :laughing7:
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “General Discussion”