For you my brother.

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

For you my brother.

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Tonight will be a night of Jack n Cokes. This is for you my brother,and for giving us 40 years of ur life in keeping us safe. Also, for all of us that have or had family serve this country, my hats off to you and I'll have a drink in your name !!

Love you bro, see you some day again :(

https://youtu.be/vBadAVsdixk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: For you my brother.

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:00 pm

I never pass up a chance to :salut: Salute :salut: a Hero :flag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm guessing you have lost a family member to conflict?? Condolences if you have, my late grandfather fought in WWII and was a p.o.w . I was lucky I got to see him until he passed away. I know many didnt get to see their sons, brothers etc return.
Respect
Ps enjoyed the vid.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Russ, was he part of the Bataan Death March :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm

No he served in Europe, captured and imprisoned in Germany. His family were informed he was dead. When he turned up they were shocked. He didnt like talking about the war much, although my late mum said I was really the only one that he would tell stuff to. He bought me books on countries in Europe which I read and it inspired me to go to Europe about 15 years ago and have a look around. I don't think I could go to the death camps etc. my wife's father served in Europe also in Cairo and the desert war. He died of cancer around 50 years ago, I often wonder if he hadn't passed so early. My wife's medals are mounted on our lounge wall.
Pic to follow

Tomorrow is Anzac Day here, we remember those that have fallen. Dawn parade etc.

Russ
image.jpg

Russ
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Appreciate that Em and Russ.

He was a Master Chief on a cg60 cruiser/destroyer in Desert Storm. Retired from active about 8 years ago and became a teacher of Radar for a while. Had kidney issues he kept quiet, the night he told us about them he had a stroke. Had a blood clot in the hospital 2 weeks later and heart attack. They revived him and found no activity, hard loss to us all.
Will be gone 2 years on May 7th which is also his first grandsons 3 Rd birthday and the day after our delayed 1st birthday party for our little guy. Just one of those Jack n Coke nights, I'll post a tribute picture I had made up and put on my back window for an entire year. I promised my nephew's and sister in law he would ride with me till he was burried, and I made good on it. Also made him a wooden cross with birthstone inlays of the entire family next to his stone which was in the center. Used Purple heart, his favorite wood.
Funeral director honored my request to leave it with him in his plot next to his urn, so he always had our company with him forever.
It took almost a year to have him burried, long waiting list he was on to get into Arlington National.

Sorry to ramble on guys, just a rough day / night
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 pm

No ramble wv, appreciate your thoughts and your honour to your family. It's funny isn't it how you can talk or chat on a site and not really know what's gone on in their lives. Their struggles, sadness and happiness at times. Birthdays are significant in my home.
My wife's a jack girl, you'd like her,lol. I'll be having a few rums tomorrow to remember the past.

Russ
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I never pass up a chance to :salut: Salute :salut: a Hero :flag:

Amen.
Moink!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 pm

I'll raise a glass to his memory and service. Hold the memories close to your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 pm

No hero here, but I was proud to serve. My dad was in the India/Burma campaign of WWII, where he had the front part of his skull bone blown out. Miraculously he just had brain bruising, no gray matter splattered. He had a metal plate put in and survived fine. I was enlisted in the Vietnam era as a Gunner's Mate, volunteered for PBR boats in Nam, and was given Mayport, Florida. But I never let a Viet Cong on the East Coast. Desert Storm was a little more exciting as we were a hospital unit almost on the front lines. The 47th took in the first casualties of the war. We watched a Patriot battery next to us take out a Scud missile about a mile away. We watched Warthogs diving on targets over the hill. The sky got dark at times from the oil well fires. And we got exposed to Sarin nerve gas, for which the Army later sent us a certified letter. Still we never went through anything like the Nam and WWII folks. God bless you brothers.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 pm

:flag: :tup: :flag:

Russ
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:28 am

:flag: :flag: :flag:
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 pm

I appreciate all of those kind words guys, you are all good people with big hearts !
Thank You !
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Salutes all round, Gentlemen. Dad was a mechanic and then a Mustang driver and a cold warrior between the wars, then an instructor for visiting NATO and SA pilots, then carried moms and dads and kiddos and grannies and grandpas and returning vets from place to place for another 30 years as a pilot for Texas Intl and then Continental. 50 years an aviator grand total, and one of the rare breed.

I will raise my TX bourbon to you and your fathers, brothers, and your fallen comrades this day in remembrance.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “General Discussion”