Philly CheeseSteak in Texas ?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Philly CheeseSteak in Texas ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Well I had hoped so when we made our second and "last" visit to a 50's Theme Diner out of Montgomery, Texas. It was after the lunch rush but it still took them forever to prepare a sammich and a salad (Wiffy's). I patiently waited and sipped on a cold bottle of the State Brew of Texas, listening to the Oldies Music and looking at pics of Marilyn, James Dean, Elvis and other Cinematic Heroes that we grew up watching.

Then the food "finally" arrived and it looked purdy danged good but then I gave it the supreme test by mistake - I tasted it :banghead: The FLAVOR did not exist except for the raw and thickly sliced bell peppers - even the own-yawns were flavorless :whiteflag: Then I tried a own-yawn ring and found out that they were just rings of tasteless batter with a shrivled piece of own-yawn to hold the batter in place. Even the Swiss Chez had zero flavor and, as you can see, there was plenty that was melted and ozzing out the sides. The ?Bun? well, I've eaten a slice of Honey Wheat Bread that had more flavor.

Except for a couple of Steakhouses, it seems like bad food is becoming a Theme of these local Eateries lately and I'm getting danged tired of it. :angryfire:
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Re: Philly CheeseSteak in Texas ?

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 pm

I hate getting my hopes up and getting a meal that is tasteless, it drives me nuts so I know how ya felt oup. I tend to stick to my faves now. I must say it did look inviting though.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 10, 2017 5:30 pm

looked larapin but t'was not the case :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed May 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Style over substance? But you can't eat style...
Moink!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed May 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey Emm,

If ur ever up north, I know a place in the Poconos that will show you what a ( Real ) Cheesesteak is, looks like, and tastes like.
Forget about Philly as well, thier lost in thier own little ( cheese whiz ) world.

Sent from my anti cheese whiz 1611
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Don't think that YOU weren't in my thoughts while I was trying to convince myself to eat whatever that was that they called a PCS. Heck, even the Roast Beef was tasteless and it seems to me a feller would have to try hard to remove the taste from ALL those ingredients. Maybe I need to put some emergency packets of Gator's Cajun Seasoning in my wallet for emergencies like this? :laughing7: :D :lol:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed May 10, 2017 7:30 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Don't think that YOU weren't in my thoughts while I was trying to convince myself to eat whatever that was that they called a PCS. Heck, even the Roast Beef was tasteless and it seems to me a feller would have to try hard to remove the taste from ALL those ingredients. Maybe I need to put some emergency packets of Gator's Cajun Seasoning in my wallet for emergencies like this? :laughing7: :D :lol:

My late mum carried a small kitchen in her trunk , and a smaller version in her bag,lol. Mini packs ketchup and s and p in sachets,
She was ready if there was no taste,lol. I haven't inherited that part of her. :D

Russ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 10, 2017 7:32 pm

I call the Wiffy's Purse "The Bottomless Pit" and I REFUSE to get her anything from it - - - I just hand it to her - - - a man could loose an arm or a hand reaching down in there. :shock: :D
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Lmao, man that's exactly the same here, I never go into my wife's bag, she's got everything in there. :D

Russ
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu May 11, 2017 8:24 am

Funnily enough, it was Felony Food With No Taste that led me to barbecue. Decades ago, before there was a innerwebz, I read about this thing called 'pulled pork,' and I WANTED SOME. We fell into a restaurant that featured what they jokingly called 'pulled pork.'

Even ignorant as I was back then of all thing Q, I knew this thin-sliced, no-bark, candy-tasting susbstance was in no way 'pulled pork.'

We did what we always do: decided to master it ourselves. :lol:
Moink!

Return to “General Discussion”