Go FIGger this ?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Go FIGger this ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 am

The Wiffy nor I either one like Figs, however, we have a prolific bearing Fig Tree in our front drainage ditch and every year I harvest lots of Figs from it. :scratch: ?why do I harvest them? because our Family loves them - - - - so every year I pick, scratch my arms and drip sweat while harvesting these purple producers. :dont:

This was the first pickin of this season and I expect to harvest at least 10 to 12 times this amount before season is over. First off I'll make some Pecan, Fig Quick Bread for my oldest and his Wiffy's Mom (M.I.L.) and that should upgrade my Hero Status for the Summer months. :salut:

Now I gotta get back to mowing WET GRASS :dont:
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Go FIGger this ?

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 am

You can do a lot with figs! I've got a tree at the office.

You're a good man for setting up the family!

As an aside, be careful mowing the wet grass. I busted my mower deck gear box Tuesday night trying to mow between storms. :banghead:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:51 am

I've heard of people making faux strawberry jelly outta the things, but as my Mom used to say, "I really don't give a fig", so I never tried.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:02 am

Boots wrote:I've heard of people making faux strawberry jelly outta the things, but as my Mom used to say, "I really don't give a fig", so I never tried.

Reminds me of one I have to share:
Back in the early seventies we lived in Black Forest just East of Colo Springs Colo and one of our friends little girl was chosen to get her birthday announced on a local TV kiddie Show - - - - WELL OF COURSE all of her friends and family was glued to the tube to watch Sally on TV.
Narrator: Sally how old are you today?
Sally: I'm five years old.
Narrator: What good things have your parents taught you in the last five years?
Sally: Always say my prayers before going to bed, eat everything on my plate, brush my teeth AND never tell a FIG.

Needless to say the Narrator had to go to commercial. :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Counselor - - - I agree with the warning, however, I had no choice :whiteflag: IT HAD TO BE MOWED :banghead: Got'er done and I'll be washing the underside of two mowers tomorrow if this stuff blows over. :x
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:55 am

We don't really like figs, either, but I gotta say, those look gooooood. Every try grilling them? I've seen it done on teevee. :laughing7:
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:15 pm

So speaking of kiddies, Parts, when you lived outside of C Springs, what was you family's FAVORITE amusement park (grinning cause I bet I know the answer).
Attachments
IMG_0548.JPG
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Back in the day when I was just a little kid I remember my grandma picking fig's off her tree and making fig preserves.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Boots wrote:So speaking of kiddies, Parts, when you lived outside of C Springs, what was you family's FAVORITE amusement park (grinning cause I bet I know the answer).

HO HO HO - - - so you think you know, eh :D
Been there many many times even when I was a teen with my lil bro and sis and family. :santa:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:12 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Boots wrote:So speaking of kiddies, Parts, when you lived outside of C Springs, what was you family's FAVORITE amusement park (grinning cause I bet I know the answer).

HO HO HO - - - so you think you know, eh :D
Been there many many times even when I was a teen with my lil bro and baby sis and family. :santa:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Been about 50 years since I had a fig Newton. Never liked them.
Wonder if they still make em. :?:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Boots wrote:I've heard of people making faux strawberry jelly outta the things, but as my Mom used to say, "I really don't give a fig", so I never tried.

Never heard of that, but this summer I made 2 lots of real strawberry jam and 2 lots of coulis. Can't beat home grown.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 pm

I actually like fig newtons. Pretty sure that means I've never had a real fig :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Oh man, pass them suckers up this way, I love figs. Especially by way of Newton.

Also, loved the fig rings we would get at Thanksgiving time.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:48 am

Yo Boots, concerning the North Pole, there's a lot more rides there than there were when we frequented that place. Don't know if they still have the Wishing Well with the little puppet doll over head that would talk to the kids "and adults" - - - it was remote controlled and bugged so that "?someone?" in a remote location could observe and hear and move the puppet and talk to the kiddos large and small but it actually seemed like the puppet was doing it. FUN FUN FUN :tup:

Return to “General Discussion”