Gators gator

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Gators gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am

(Long story) but I got my nickname because we have gators in our lake in East Texas. They come and go, one had to be dispatched, he was getting too comfortable...this is our newest little guy, Snuffy. We named him Snuffly because he comes up and snorts at you and bellows. He follows us around waiting to grab your fish as you reel it in. Hes about 4 ft, so not much of a danger at this point...Sunday he walked right up on the bank a couple feet away from my son when he was fishing. He basically is attracted to any "action" on (his) the lake.
Attachments
IMG_3372.JPG
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Gators gator

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:50 am

Awesome creatures…both in the wild and battered, fried then hit with SB's Cajun Seasoning:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:11 am

I agree with Sooner 100%, however, coexisting "with" Nature and it's inhabitants is purdy Righteous IMHO :tup: :salut: :cheers: Hopefully when he gets too large to coexist with, he can be relocated to a more appropriate location for him.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:00 am

Amazing animals when you think about it, direct lineages back tens of thousands of years to the stone ages. I recall we got one a little smaller than this that ended up in my Dad's newly dug "bass pond" in Madison County back in the '70's. Dad had just stocked it with fingerling bass. This irritated him no end, and being the old school Cro Magnon that he was, Mr. Gator soon ended up in our Charbroiler as an experiment.

Can't say it was a hit, he was not good with rubs, only salt and pepper.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 am

:rose:
tarde venientibus ossa....
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Funny thing was, we couldn't figure out how he got there. Pond was about 3 miles from the nearest creek or river...?????
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Boots wrote:Funny thing was, we couldn't figure out how he got there. Pond was about 3 miles from the nearest creek or river...?????

I think what happens is the big gators get the premo spots (with all the lady gators) and run off the little guys. They walk up stream...at least that my theory. (I believe) That's why we get gators regularly - our pond it at the head waters of a very large water shed that eventually flows into the Trinity River. The little guys just keep moving up stream as they get run out of the good spots. My up hill neighbor had one in his pond a couple years ago, I think he walked about a mile from my place. :whiteflag:
Gator

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:36 pm

I knew a dude that started trapping them in the Trinity River and it's tributaries with the cable loop technique. At this particular time, the hides were bringing very good money and that was his motivation. I went with him one time (and only one time) to run his snares. I was very happy that he had only one captured that day. He also said that most of the time they just gave the meat to friends that had hogs and lots of dogs or just dumped it back in the river for the fish to eat. :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Gators or crocs, I'd run a mile. If this thing was anywhere near my grand kids, it would be dispatched with a .308

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 am

Ohhhh big gator. Yep that looks familiar.
Gator

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:42 am

Dang, Capt'n :salut: , that was a close one - - - darned Gator almost messed up the fillets on that Redfish. :tup: So do you measure from where the tail would have been or the end that the Gator left you to see if he's in the keeper slot ? ;)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 am

Any gator too big to hold in 1 hand is categorized as a threat in my book! I'd say differently about any mammalian predator honestly. Reptiles held on super tightly to that basic instinct and it's just too treacherous to play with. Hats off to you sir; that's a level of testicular fortitude I don't have!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm

:laughing7: :D :lol: T-Dragon, I guess that wade fishing one of the Texas Gulf Coast finest spots, Anahuac Wildlife Refuge, would be out of the question for you, eh :?: :laughing7: :D :lol: I've done it many times with a loooooooong pre-historic specimen sunning on the bank or floating along the bank in the same waters but I sure tried to never let them get between me and the Truck :laughing7: :D :lol: Look thru these pics for just a sampling of this Hot Spot. https://www.google.com/search?q=wade+fi ... .8#imgrc=_
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:Gators or crocs, I'd run a mile. If this thing was anywhere near my grand kids, it would be dispatched with a .308

Russ

I'd take a gator over a croc anytime. I hear those crocs can get 18-20 feet long and multiple hundred pounds.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE

Return to “General Discussion”