Dessert Spread Offshore

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Dessert Spread Offshore

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:14 pm

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

The dessert spread on the rig, didn't take ny other photos but it was prime rib today, grilled chicken breast and sausage for the meats.

Hope ya'll are having a grand Independence Day.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Dessert Spread Offshore

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:36 pm

The ONE THING I remember MOST about my trip to that Platform offshore Grand Isle was the "Grub" - - - - dem "Riggers" do eat WELL :tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Dang!! :shock:
tarde venientibus ossa....
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 pm

It's part of the pay package OUP. I suspect you wouldn't recognize Grand Ailse these days.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 pm

no doubt, I'll bet things have changed but not necessarily for the better, eh :?:

you offshore La :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Grand Isle isn't to bad. And yes, I go offshore out of La. Houma actually, to me its the best town in the state. Layfayette is ok, but I prefer Houma if I have to leave Texas and go over there. Houma has good restaurants and good bars. And the people are good and decent. It is 318 miles from Cypress to Houma to get to the heliport.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:52 am

I'll never forget how small that "pad" looked from the chopper right before descending and landing on the Platform - - - - I'm pretty sure my eyes closed right when the altitude started decreasing - - - - not afraid of heights just prefer the ground :laughing7: :D :lol:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:34 am

Parts, much like everything else, the helicopter technology is much better. They are more roomier and comfortable than in years past. And the pilots have got younger. Years ago when I started doing this, all of the pilots were Viet Nam Vets. Now they are Gulf War Vets. But your right, I worry more about the flight than I do about anything that may happen on the rig. As they say in the oilfield, those helicopters are a million moving parts built by the lowest bidder.

But the food out here is still pretty good. It varies from rig to rig, depending on who the operator is. In fact, since I was out here last trip, they have installed a soft serve ice cream machine. And it is actually pretty good. Along with a freezer full of half gallons. These days there is more health awareness. Most all rigs have a salad bar of some type, and they all serve some sort of heart healthy choice at each meal, its usually grilled or baked chicken. But it at least gives you an alternative to all things fried.

Return to “General Discussion”