Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Re: Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 am

We're still praying for all of you in the storm.
I hope you can at least still have power throughout the duration.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:56 am

My buddy's mom rode it out in Victoria. She says they're fine but power has been out since 1:30
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:19 am

:shock: :shock: I don't watch the news and I just caught this thread. :oops:
Ya'll stay safe.
We don't get weather like that up here. Cant imagine having to wait something like that out. :whiteflag:
Take care my friends. :salut:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:21 am

TX1911 wrote:It's getting awfully sporty down this way, though, miraculously, we still have power. Not much sleep to be had. Tornado alarms started going off on our phones around 1:15 this morning.

When we get some light, I'll try to post some pictures of the lake that's developed around our home. We still have about 2 vertical feet before it's a concern. For it to get to us, the entire area around us would have to be under.

The wind has definitely shifted, and for us is much more a direct southerly wind, as opposed to the southeasterly that we had at least until I went to bed for the night. At some point over the night, my rain gauge topped out. Capacity is 6", and it's still pouring.

Anyone in south and southeast Texas, please be careful over the next few days!

Are the Kiddos and Pooch handling all this OK :?: Good Luck and God Bless Y'all :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:58 pm

TX1911 wrote:It's getting awfully sporty down this way, though, miraculously, we still have power. Not much sleep to be had. Tornado alarms started going off on our phones around 1:15 this morning.

When we get some light, I'll try to post some pictures of the lake that's developed around our home. We still have about 2 vertical feet before it's a concern. For it to get to us, the entire area around us would have to be under.

The wind has definitely shifted, and for us is much more a direct southerly wind, as opposed to the southeasterly that we had at least until I went to bed for the night. At some point over the night, my rain gauge topped out. Capacity is 6", and it's still pouring.

Anyone in south and southeast Texas, please be careful over the next few days!

Thanks for the update!
Josh
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm

We've had a nice respite for a large part of the day, while still accumulating another inch of rain. For us, the dangerous part starts tonight. The ground is saturated and we are expecting another 5-8 inches overn8ght, then again to.orrow, then again tomorrow night.

This is from the entrance to our neighborhood. This ditch runs north/south along the west side. Not a whole lot of room for more rain.
20170826_101053.jpg
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:11 pm

lots of water and no place to go - - - - good luck, Y'all - - - - stay high and dry and don't take any unnecessary chances - - - - it'll go down eventually :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Neighbor advised that it's all good in da Egghead hood. Aside from a mess in the yard, no damage to the Egghead Casa.

Rockport, Port Aransas, Aransa Pass, and Engleside took it in the chin real bad. Prayers for all the folks just east of Corpus.

We have had plenty rain in Fulshear but it's all good here.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:46 pm

egghead wrote:Neighbor advised that it's all good in da Egghead hood. Aside from a mess in the yard, no damage to the Egghead Casa.

Rockport, Port Aransas, Aransa Pass, and Engleside took it in the chin real bad. Prayers for all the folks just east of Corpus.

We have had plenty rain in Fulshear but it's all good here.

Very good to hear.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm sure y'all are tired of the updates. I keep at it because it is somewhat cathartic. All of the progress we made in draining this water off has gone. Three more inches of rain and it's not draining out. Spent half an hour or so in the master closet with the wife, kids and dogs when rotational clouds were spotted half a mile away.

In another lull for the time being. Will probably be another long night.

Thanks for entertaining me. We've had it pretty good here. Just rain and stress. These things were easier before kids!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 pm

TX1911 wrote:I'm sure y'all are tired of the updates. I keep at it because it is somewhat cathartic. All of the progress we made in draining this water off has gone. Three more inches of rain and it's not draining out. Spent half an hour or so in the master closet with the wife, kids and dogs when rotational clouds were spotted half a mile away.

In another lull for the time being. Will probably be another long night.

Thanks for entertaining me. We've had it pretty good here. Just rain and stress. These things were easier before kids!
Sorry to hear this Tx,

Is it only limited so far to your closet area ?? Im sure I can speak for all of us that aren't near the flooding/hurricane situation ur in, but it's pretty hard to know that you guys are having to deal with this...
We're still asking the big man upstairs to keep you all safe and to help you get thru this !!
:( :(
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 pm

That's our largest "room" that is entirely interior and without windows. The other options would be the laundry room, powder room or the storage closet under the stairs. All somewhat cramped options.

It's part of living in Texas. Like I said, our biggest issue, by far, has been stress. Mainly from the tornadic potential. If it was just the rain and wind, it would be (relatively) easy. I still am shocked that we somehow still have power. Typically, in our neighborhood, someone sneezes and we lose power for hours!

I managed to take a couple snaps to put it in perspective. We are the highest house around. We are also at the high point of the drainage ditches. Everything drains away from our house. This is our back yard about 2 hours ago, after a lot of rain had drained out and it was starting again. Nowhere for it to go.
20170826_190612.jpg
Side yard

20170826_190623.jpg

Like I said, we have been very fortunate. Other than the tornadoes, my only concern is if the forecasted 20+ additional inches come to fruition. But compared to so many to our south, we are experiencing a minor nuisance, no more.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Misread that ^^^^

Was thinking u we're pumping out water, but I now realize ur talking about possible Tornado weather ?

Stay safe !
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:12 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Misread that ^^^^

Was thinking u we're pumping out water, but I now realize ur talking about possible Tornado weather ?

Stay safe !

No substantial water intrusion, though I did find two leaks in the attic. Calling the builder next week!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:18 am

TX1911 - we are not tired of the updates. We care about you guys and want to know you are ok. Keep sending them as long as you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”