Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Keep an Eye out if you're along the Texas Coast

Postby egghead » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 pm

We've been in Fulshear since Sunday house/dog sitting and have no intention of returning to Corpus until it is all safe. Trying to convince a few other folks to leave now.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Good Deal, you're the first person I thought of when Counselor posted this thread. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Prayers and hope for you all down there in Texas. Stay safe and keep in touch, hopefully it takes a different path or weakens..
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm just watching news now, thoughts are with you guys. Batten down. I didn't realise how bad this is going to be.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 pm

They're talking about 20" of rain in areas, maybe more. Even talking about hitting land, then spinning back out in the Gulf and rebuilding. Git outta town. I have a spare bedroom up north for any takers.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:They're talking about 20" of rain in areas, maybe more. Even talking about hitting land, then spinning back out in the Gulf and rebuilding. Git outta town. I have a spare bedroom up north for any takers. 3.5 hours from Houston.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Egghead, time to grab yer bug out bag and hit the road to San Antone buddy.

http://mashable.com/2017/08/23/tropical ... NNnBI_Gmqc
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:10 am

woodenvisions wrote:Prayers and hope for you all down there in Texas. Stay safe and keep in touch, hopefully it takes a different path or weakens..

Amen. Please keep us posted.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:20 am

I had me a real "DUH MOMENT" yesterday. The Wiffy had taken me out for a late BD Dinner and we dropped by Wally World so she could pick up a few things that she needed. It was very crowded and I'm thinking "it's not payday-what are all these people doing in here?" - - - So I'm sitting in the car with the AC on watching these people come out with cases and cases of water. So I'm thinking "they must be having a sale on bottled water". Here's the embarassing part: My odest step-son calls last night and proceeds to tell me about the long lines at the grocery store and gas stations. BOING - - - my gray matter finally came out of overdrive and I snapped. :shock:

Then I turn to Sherry and said "the long lines at Walmart were people stocking up for Harvey" - - -then she made me feel a 'little better' when she she "you know I never even thought about that!"
:whiteflag: :banghead: :drunk: :dont: :roll: :shock: :santa: :rambo: :rose: :deadhorse:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:58 am

My wife has a rental car that she's returning this morning. Had to return it to the same level of fuel. The stations were all jammed. The one we finally got to last night was out of everything except for premium. :shock:

Glad I did all my shopping on Tuesday!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:44 am

Some of my drivers are off the road, can't get anywhere. Not good to move heavy haul and over dimensional loads in this weather. Just going to have to pay em lay over pay.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:23 am

topped off my tank at the Stick and Stab down the road, on the way to Brookshire Bros to pick up a few things and some prescriptions - - - I pulled in to the S&S around 8am and there weren't any lines just workers filling up their trucks - - - - however, when I came back by at 9am they were very crowded and getting worse - - - Brookshire Bros was already out of gas and propane - - - it's fixin to get very very bad here as far as purchasing necessities :(

just heard they were anouncing a voluntary evacuation of West Galveston Island - - - - If they wait then the traffic jams will be a nightmare (as most of them already know)
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am

Sending positive thoughts to all in the path.. watching the cams from Galveston and its picking up. Had my old truck parked on the Seawall when Rita hit and we watched all the terrible stuff from the ship and our 7 day cruise turned into a 10 day because we couldnt get into the gulf to come home. It looked like a nightmare going on 45 north that time, but I think they are better prepared now a days. Rita was called for a direct hit on the seawall and I figured the old truck was a goner, but she swung around and actually hit the port. When we finally got back to the truck the bed was full of sand and a medium sized palm tree, we got very lucky.
We have offered up rooms to any friends looking to get out of Houston, but so far they are all staying put and wait it out
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:46 am

We are on the northeast side of Houston, Kingwood/Porter and still don't know what to expect. Ike passed right over us, but it was gone the next day. This sucker is gonna sit here for along time. I have 200 lbs of charcoal, 30+ gallons of gas for the generator and two full propane tanks. I don't think we are going to lose power or water, but I figure to play it safe this time. My biggest decision remaining is whether or not to pull the outdoor furniture in since the winds are only going to top out int he 30-40 mph range.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 am

Scott P wrote:We are on the northeast side of Houston, Kingwood/Porter and still don't know what to expect. Ike passed right over us, but it was gone the next day. This sucker is gonna sit here for along time. I have 200 lbs of charcoal, 30+ gallons of gas for the generator and two full propane tanks. I don't think we are going to lose power or water, but I figure to play it safe this time. My biggest decision remaining is whether or not to pull the outdoor furniture in since the winds are only going to top out int he 30-40 mph range.

If the furniture can go flying around, I'd pull it in.
Moink!

Return to “General Discussion”