Houston flood emergency response?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Houston flood emergency response?

Postby Chasdev » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:46 pm

The wife and I lost our home and 99% of our stuff in a flood at the end of 2013 so I'm watching the Houston deal pretty close.
We have been switching between 7 TV stations for two days watching the coverage but today there were folks wading through foot deep water looking at a closed quicky mart trying to buy food..and that made me think..in all the hours and channel switching we have been doing, nowhere have we seen a single story about or an interview with somebody in charge of or at a command center. No FEMA command center, no FEMA guys talking about their plans to move tons of food and water to the victims, no National Guard command center or any uniformed high up guard people at or near a command center or away from one, talking about moving supplies to the victims.
Also no national news guys talking about or to any of the command guys about where/why/how they are dealing with what may turn out to be an ugly scene if help is not forthcoming.
I don't know about any of you guys but I would most certainly loot a grocery store before my family starved or went without water for a week and I sure hope this not the story about to come out of Houston because the Guard or FEMA top dogs catch a case of dumbbutt as seen in New Orleans.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Houston flood emergency response?

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:29 pm

They are around. There have literally been thousands of water rescues by both agencies and individuals combined. I've seen the coast guard choppers fly over a few times already.

Thing is, inside of the grand parkway (3rd loop around houston) is roughly 170 miles long, and encompasses a massive area. Often, the cameras are not where the rescues are taking place.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Also, our local news has been doing a phenomenal job focusing on the more gritty details. Our local CBS affiliate is actually off the air because their building flooded during a live broadcast. Has been since before lunch. I think the quality of the response doesn't sell. They're doing a good job. More media when they do a poor job. Just my two cents.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm watching Fox News now, it's not looking good. Thoughts to all you guys there.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:10 pm

We've been trying to watch coverage online.

I was just told NY is sending some National Guard. Maybe there's a link I can find, and of course our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:We've been trying to watch coverage online.

I was just told NY is sending some National Guard. Maybe there's a link I can find, and of course our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Oup put up a link earlier.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:24 pm

This is the link about some of the NY State Air National Guard being deployed to TX (I also posted it in another thread on the forum, where OUP posted about NY City sending some of it's emergency responders to TX):
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/ny-sends-air-national-guard-personnel-equipment-to-aid-texas-1.14091918

Here's an article that has Gov Abbott praising FEMA and the Feds for their response, so far:
http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20170827/texas-governor-praises-harvey-response-trump-meets-and-tweets
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am

Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:59 am

People helping People :salut: - - - - makes you proud to be an American in Texas :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:30 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:People helping People :salut: - - - - makes you proud to be an American in Texas :cheers:

OUP, I read your post about Mattress Mack. Hadn't heard of him before, but sounds like a good guy. :tup:

And I wonder if there aren't a lot more people who step up to assist, but stay out of the spotlight.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Good Point, Mam, and very True also - - - - the will get their rewards later, I'm sure :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”