A wine with your ribs or brisket?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

A wine with your ribs or brisket?

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm

I use wine occasionally with cooking, I just wondered what wines you guys like with your dinner a special meal. I just read nz has exported to the USA a record amount of our wine, I personally like a nice Merlot with a meal, but our friends drink a lot of Chardonnay , oyster bay brand is very popular here. What do you have with a steak? Sailor might speak for the ladies?
I'm curious.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: A wine with your ribs or brisket?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm a beer lover, however, ?IF? I were to have a wine with food it would be White Zinfendel (sp).
For me BBQ or Steak screams Shiner Bock Beer. Yes, I am a Redneck Country Boy. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm

My wife loves a Marlborough sauvignon blanc. I'm not much on white. With a steak, it's a cab or a good zinfandel. With BBQ, I like a little lighter. A good stray (I believe y'all call it a shiraz).
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Russ wrote:I use wine occasionally with cooking, I just wondered what wines you guys like with your dinner a special meal. I just read nz has exported to the USA a record amount of our wine, I personally like a nice Merlot with a meal, but our friends drink a lot of Chardonnay , oyster bay brand is very popular here. What do you have with a steak? Sailor might speak for the ladies?
I'm curious.

Russ

I used to be the Big Drinker in my family, but not so much as I get older. And I knew a fair bit about wines. it was a sort of hobby, finding a good wine at a decent price.

But, not with reebz or brisket. There are too many flavor and seasoning layers, so this is where you want beer!

I would happily drink a Merlot with steak, but our friend brought us a Duckwalk rose this Friday. Maybe with the Scorchmark Steak leftovers...

Lawn Guyland has turned into a renowned wine-producing region. This is my favorite winery:

https://www.pindar.net/

Their Mythology, Autumn Gold, and Pythagoras are nice to have.
Moink!
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:57 pm

I like beer, I'm partial to a single malt Scotch, and I'll gladly have a glass of cabernet sauvignon when offered.

But -to this ole hillbilly- nuthin' beats a glass of iced tea with a plate of grilled steak & fried tators.
Josh
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
Russ wrote:I use wine occasionally with cooking, I just wondered what wines you guys like with your dinner a special meal. I just read nz has exported to the USA a record amount of our wine, I personally like a nice Merlot with a meal, but our friends drink a lot of Chardonnay , oyster bay brand is very popular here. What do you have with a steak? Sailor might speak for the ladies?
I'm curious.

Russ

I used to be the Big Drinker in my family, but not so much as I get older. And I knew a fair bit about wines. it was a sort of hobby, finding a good wine at a decent price.

But, not with reebz or brisket. There are too many flavor and seasoning layers, so this is where you want beer!

I would happily drink a Merlot with steak, but our friend brought us a Duckwalk rose this Friday. Maybe with the Scorchmark Steak leftovers...

Lawn Guyland has turned into a renowned wine-producing region. This is my favorite winery:

https://www.pindar.net/

Their Mythology, Autumn Gold, and Pythagoras are nice to have.

Thanks sailor the Merlots sound real nice , pythagaros as well sounds beautiful. I think I would like the Syrah as well.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:39 pm

TX1911 wrote:My wife loves a Marlborough sauvignon blanc. I'm not much on white. With a steak, it's a cab or a good zinfandel. With BBQ, I like a little lighter. A good stray (I believe y'all call it a shiraz).

A Marlborough from here????? Wow, it is popular with ladies. If you get a chance try the oyster bay sav Blanc . I will put money it's the best, my wife's friends absolutely loves it, she loves her wine. I'm beer normally like most here but some other times....

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 pm

jwh wrote:I like beer, I'm partial to a single malt Scotch, and I'll gladly have a glass of cabernet sauvignon when offered.

But -to this ole hillbilly- nuthin' beats a glass of iced tea with a plate of grilled steak & fried tators.

Josh I'd have a cab sav anytime, but first choice is merlot. My son drinks iced tea and green tea. And beer,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:01 pm

I vote beer! :) never tasted a wine I liked. No beer, ok…I'll take Bourbon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Brown paper bag wine works for me :):)

Nah, I don't do wine, but I'll take a Rum n Coke or some Opal Nera Black Sambuca over some cool cubes any day :):)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 pm

"Well the engineer said before he died
There were two more drinks that he'd like to try
The conductor said what could they be
A hot cup of coffee and a cold glass of tea"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Bunch of hillbillies. A good wine with beef from your part of the world is Shiraz. Australia makes some great ones. With chicken or seafood, a good Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc can't be beat. Salmon? Pinot Noir.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:Bunch of hillbillies. A good wine with beef from your part of the world is Shiraz. Australia makes some great ones. With chicken or seafood, a good Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc can't be beat. Salmon? Pinot Noir.

Another vote for Marlborough, have you tried the oyster bay by any chance.? I like Shiraz as well.

Russ

Wv, I'm a rum n coke guy too, coruba,
R
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:43 pm

I have tried the Oyster Bay -- decent entry wine. Ti Point is an even better economy SB. Drinking a glass right now.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:I have tried the Oyster Bay -- decent entry wine. Ti Point is an even better economy SB. Drinking a glass right now.

Awwww, only 3.30 pm here, too early for drinking round here.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “General Discussion”