Austin Sightseeing

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

The Fit Adventure
Pilgrim

Austin Sightseeing

Postby The Fit Adventure » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Visited Austin, Texas for a week. There's so much to do and eat around this awesome city! This was what I did in a day starting lunch at Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken then sightseeing downtown at Graffiti Park on Castle Hill. Took a quick dip in Barton Springs to cool off then a snack at Gourdough's for some epic doughnuts!
Here's the video: https://youtu.be/xy0Gb10Ynqg
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Austin Sightseeing

Postby Russ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:37 pm

The Fit Adventure wrote:Visited Austin, Texas for a week. There's so much to do and eat around this awesome city! This was what I did in a day starting lunch at Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken then sightseeing downtown at Graffiti Park on Castle Hill. Took a quick dip in Barton Springs to cool off then a snack at Gourdough's for some epic doughnuts!
Here's the video: https://youtu.be/xy0Gb10Ynqg

Great 6 min vid, I'm definitely going to Gus's when I get there. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the quick visit. I'm in nz.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:59 am

Now that there's water back in lake Travis (it was almost bone dry a few years ago) take a drive around the lake too!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:20 am

:?: I always thought it was fed by underground Springs and not surface water :?: :dont:

no matter where it comes from that Hill Country Water sure does wonders for the Body :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:22 pm

It's fed from Canyon lake in Marble falls, but really it's a river dammed to create "Lake Travis" so as long as they open the gates upstream in Marble falls, we get water.
If it don't rain for a few years, nobody gets no water.
Now the San Marcos river in San Marcos is entirely spring fed and is a marvel to behold and swim in...we used to take fish from there right under the I35 bridge overpass and the flesh was the best freshwater fish I've ever had..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:51 pm

God's Country fo sho - - - - my Wiffy and I bought our Rings in Marble Falls :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Now that we have rainfall again it's back to a fantastic place, during the drought from 2008 to 2013 it was not so good, can you imagine the river running bone dry at the inlet to the highland lakes?
When the rains came at the end of 2013, I lost MY house and all possessions to a flash flood,13 inches of rain fell about 20 miles upstream on Onion Creek in a short time and there was no public warning as the water level sensors did not work, turns out they were not waterproofed.
It flooded around 500 homes on Onion Creek, we had 54 inches of stage 3 blackwater water in our house with us standing there in it chest deep wondering what happened.
No warning, none at all, not TV, not fire dept, not police.
Water started running down the street at 6:00AM and by 6:30AM it was full depth, 54 inches.
The wife and I can't watch the TV with the videos of flooded houses and people suffering, it reminds us too much of the horror and shock of it.
Getting flooded was just the beginning, being homeless and stuck in crappy motels for two months was a continuing nightmare.
I could go on, but hey, this is about beautiful Austin, not my personal history!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Chasdev wrote:Now that we have rainfall again it's back to a fantastic place, during the drought from 2008 to 2013 it was not so good, can you imagine the river running bone dry at the inlet to the highland lakes?
When the rains came at the end of 2013, I lost MY house and all possessions to a flash flood,13 inches of rain fell about 20 miles upstream on Onion Creek in a short time and there was no public warning as the water level sensors did not work, turns out they were not waterproofed.
It flooded around 500 homes on Onion Creek, we had 54 inches of stage 3 blackwater water in our house with us standing there in it chest deep wondering what happened.
No warning, none at all, not TV, not fire dept, not police.
Water started running down the street at 6:00AM and by 6:30AM it was full depth, 54 inches.
The wife and I can't watch the TV with the videos of flooded houses and people suffering, it reminds us too much of the horror and shock of it.
Getting flooded was just the beginning, being homeless and stuck in crappy motels for two months was a continuing nightmare.
I could go on, but hey, this is about beautiful Austin, not my personal history!

Sorry to hear that chas, I'm watching on fox now, can't imagine what you went through. Stay safe.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 am

We made sure of that, bought a house on a hillside, way away from the floodplain!

Return to “General Discussion”