Hurricane Harvey Aftermath Stuff

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hurricane Harvey Aftermath Stuff

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:57 am

thanks for that CD - - - - sure hits home when you hear it from someone "that has been there"

I also worry about crime/looting escalation because of "no" means of support

we'll survive this if we all get on the same page and "work together"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:12 pm

One of our members WillieP lives down by the Coast and my best friend also lives in that area. I've had both of them on my mind the last few days but my friend called and said they were at his Son's house waiting to be able to go back to their home.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:31 pm

They just been talking on fox about people who don't have flood insurance, the body that runs it is still 20 billion in debt from Katrina. Or was it trillion?. Unbelievable the damage I'm seeing.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote: my best friend called and said they were at his Son's house waiting to be able to go back to their home.

well, my best friend is with his Son alright BUT they are in Beaumont trying to figure out how to get that "rather large boat" back to Galveston. Before Harvey hit they ran up the intracoastal canal to the Neches River and docked it not knowing that it was soon to be ravaged by flood waters :dont:
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:54 am

Probably my last post on this topic but now the TV is starting to show houses with water soaked contents piled up in the front yards and THIS is really painful for my wife and I.
We also hand carried everything in our house (ruined and mud soaked) out to the curb for city pick up.
I mean everything, family heirlooms, pictures, clothing, beds, furniture, computers, TV's, all of it. Very hard to see.
Just heard the mayor talking about how badly they need govt help NOW to deal with the massive amount of debris before it rots and turns to a real health hazard.
This is where the crisis begins to really need help, as the camera crews begin to pack up and the news cycles move to the next big thing/s..
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:09 am

"OUCH" I just got this from my best friend's Wife and I am starting to get worried.
Emm

Hi Emm,
It’s Carol…………….Bob and Daren are safe on the boat in the Beaumont marina. They have food, water, etc. and are ok, but cannot begin to think of getting out. They will be fine there.

The big concern is that Bob does not have his blood thinner medicine or his blood pressure medicine and I cannot get there yet. Beaumont evacuated because of a water failure, so I can’t even transfer the prescription to a Walgreen’s there and then find someone to get it to him.

The Neches is supposed to crest today and begin to slowly recede. I’m trying to find someone with a high profile vehicle who can get me there later today………there’s a stretch of 90 that only those kinds of vehicles can get through. Once we get into Beaumont, we will have to figure a way to get to the Marina.

Keep the prayers going, please.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 am

OldUsedParts wrote:"OUCH" I just got this from my best friend's Wife and I am starting to get worried.
Emm

Hi Emm,
It’s Carol…………….Bob and Daren are safe on the boat in the Beaumont marina. They have food, water, etc. and are ok, but cannot begin to think of getting out. They will be fine there.

The big concern is that Bob does not have his blood thinner medicine or his blood pressure medicine and I cannot get there yet. Beaumont evacuated because of a water failure, so I can’t even transfer the prescription to a Walgreen’s there and then find someone to get it to him.

The Neches is supposed to crest today and begin to slowly recede. I’m trying to find someone with a high profile vehicle who can get me there later today………there’s a stretch of 90 that only those kinds of vehicles can get through. Once we get into Beaumont, we will have to figure a way to get to the Marina.

Keep the prayers going, please.

We sure will.

Are there any local churches that are doing deliveries of medical supplies? :dont:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:22 am

I'm sure that she is checking ALL possibilities - - - they are very active in their Church also so maybe someone has offered a solution or help. :salut:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Saw this on another forum:

Stranded Houston Bakers Trapped by Flooding Make Bread for Hurricane Survivors

With floodwaters rising all around the El Bolillo Bakery in Houston this week, head baker Jorge Abundiz knew that he and his crew of three wouldn’t be able to make their way home.
Since the bakery hadn’t been flooded and his family was safe, the 45-year-old father of two came up with a plan: He and the other bakers would bake as many sheets of pan dulce (Mexican sweet bread) as they could to help feed hungry Hurricane Harvey survivors.

http://people.com/human-interest/hou...ane-survivors/
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm

I saw this and HAD TO SHARE IT - - - - - :tup: :salut: :cheers:

"TEXAS NEEDS TO ERECT A STATUE WITH THE INSCRIPTION:
AVERAGE DUDE WITH A BASS BOAT"

:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:48 pm

WOO HOO - - - just heard from my best friend's Wife and she reports that they got his Son's boat filled with gas and managed to get out into the Neches River and then out into the Gulf of Mexico and proceeded down the Coast to his slip in Freeport. She later reported that they are almost there and this nightmare will soon be over with everyone safe and sound. :tup: :cheers:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:56 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:WOO HOO - - - just heard from my best friend's Wife and she reports that they got his Son's boat filled with gas and managed to get out into the Neches River and then out into the Gulf of Mexico and proceeded down the Coast to his slip in Freeport. She later reported that they are almost there and this nightmare will soon be over with everyone safe and sound. :tup: :cheers:

Good news. Thanks for letting us know! :cheers:
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Real everyday heroes are and inspiration. Everybody, and I mean every single one up here in Kansas, is coming up to us full of compassion about Texas, but also goes,"I can't believe how much they are taking care of their own and taking care of themselves". People are in awe of the strength and resilience of the Texas people.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Saw this on another forum:

Stranded Houston Bakers Trapped by Flooding Make Bread for Hurricane Survivors

With floodwaters rising all around the El Bolillo Bakery in Houston this week, head baker Jorge Abundiz knew that he and his crew of three wouldn’t be able to make their way home.
Since the bakery hadn’t been flooded and his family was safe, the 45-year-old father of two came up with a plan: He and the other bakers would bake as many sheets of pan dulce (Mexican sweet bread) as they could to help feed hungry Hurricane Harvey survivors.

http://people.com/human-interest/hou...ane-survivors/

It's amazing who helps out eh? I read yesterday that the crew from an air New Zealand plane who are trapped in Houston, were at a place and joined the kitchen crew to help out cooking food for locals. Air New Zealand fly direct to Houston now. It's a small world really, isn't it.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:55 am

There is guy from my town who drove down to Port Arthur and smoked at least 10 pork butts and served it to the soldiers down there. Pretty freaking awesome! I think there is a couple more guys heading down south to do the same possibly in a different area. I am thinking of doing it too but my smoker can only fit maybe 3 or 4 Max pork butts. Also I don't have a truck. But smoking them and hauling tail down there with a cooler will probably be my best shot. My old unit out of El Paso is down in Beaumont helping out. I might do it for them.

Return to “General Discussion”