A Bit Of Wind

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

A Bit Of Wind

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 am

We had a pretty big storm come through here yesterday & last night with quite a bit of wind (gusts up to 50 mph). My main BBQ Tent was well secured, and I wasn't worried about it flying away (which has happen to other tents, not so well secured). However, I didn't expect this to happen:
All of these pop-up canaopies use really thin, cheap fabric (this one was a Coleman) and If I get 2 seasons out of them I'm lucky. Since the frame is perfectly intact, I'm going to try a generic, replacement fabric top & see how it goes.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: A Bit Of Wind

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 am

Ouch. I've used those at Hot Rod Runs/Etc that were put up and take down convenient. One thing I've learned and have heard verified from others is that once it gets a small tear in it, the wind resistance becomes Zero. ?Sailor? would something more permanent yet light weight be of an advantage to Y'all or not ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Ouch. I've used those at Hot Rod Runs/Etc that were put up and take down convenient. One thing I've learned and have heard verified from others is that once it gets a small tear in it, the wind resistance becomes Zero. ?Sailor? would something more permanent yet light weight be of an advantage to Y'all or not ?

I was thinking of that. But what...a pergola? This is mostly for rain protection.

Standing under the tent a couple days ago, I could see how thin the fabric was in patches.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 am

Down here it would be for shade and rain protection. A gable or hip design would be prettier BUT all I would want would be to have a flat shed roof that drained the water shed to the area I wanted. There is aluminum roofing products these days that are so light they don't need a lot of support so the framing/corner posts wouldn't have to be that heavy construction just anchored well at the ground. Now, granted this is a Hillbilly design but it would be functional and that's all I would require. :dont:

P.S. this is architecture that is one step up from a "lean-too" :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:01 pm

I remember lean-toos from my boy scout days. :salut:

I think for now I'll just look into a replacement fabric top, since it's near the end of the season here. I normally take the tents down well before the snow flies.

I'll look into alternatives, like those you mentioned, for next spring.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:30 pm

I've been using an EZ Up as well..............completely expect it to look like that every time a storm rolls through.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:43 pm

We use these down here, very strong materials, put up in 3 mins. Walls are about $50 each. We use these all the time.
https://www.bivouac.co.nz/oztrail-delux ... gLXNvD_BwE

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Russ wrote:We use these down here, very strong materials, put up in 3 mins. Walls are about $50 each. We use these all the time.

Russ

Thanks Russ. It looks like a heavy-duty version of what i normally use (at around 2x the price). Do they last for extended periods outside (around 6 months/year)?
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:
Russ wrote:We use these down here, very strong materials, put up in 3 mins. Walls are about $50 each. We use these all the time.

Russ

Thanks Russ. It looks like a heavy-duty version of what i normally use (at around 2x the price). Do they last for extended periods outside (around 6 months/year)?

We only use for 2 to 3 days at a time, but I can tell you the material is very heavy duty, but not too heavy. We recently had 3 at the races for a day, it turned to windy but everything held up good. I have seen the lighter ones, I wouldn't buy one. Your one sure got a hammering.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “General Discussion”