Seasoning meet question

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Seasoning meet question

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 am

Just curious to see when everyone applies their rub.

Right before smoking?

Couple hours before?

Or do you rub meat down the night before?

Of course everyone will have a different opinion I’m sure but when responding can you tell me why you apply the rub when you do.

Thanks

Mike
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Seasoning meet question

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:57 am

Depends on what I'm cooking but on the average a couple hours before :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Seasoning meet question

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 am

Hey Mike -

Ribs and butts I do about 30 minutes to an hour before.

Poultry about 30 minutes.

Brisket I usually do 1 to 2 hours before. BUT the last one I did the night before trying to limit how much I had to do w/o making much noise in the wee hours of the morning and the bark / flavor was fantastic. So I’m probably going to that when I can.

Hope this helps. I bet some of the comp guys chime in with a fairly regimented schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks. I’ve been rubbing meet down with a light coat of rub letting it sit for 18-24 hours then putting on a thicker coat of rub hour or so before I put in my itty bitty smoker. Seems to be doing well for me. Flavor has been fantastic. Haven’t been able to get the bark I’m looking for yet but hopefully in time I’ll get there. I’m really new to smoking as it’s been my first year and I’ve only been able to smoke a few things here and there. Hoping to upgrade to a larger smoker this spring. A co worker gave me the smoker i have now it’s a Brinkman smoke n grill just really small can only smoke a 1 but or 2 maybe 3 loins at a time. I have to cut ribs in half just to get a rack on my smoker. 1 turkey at a time as well.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am

If that Brinkman is the Vertical Drum Type and you ever decide you want to sell it, then please consider contacting me. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 am

Steak, bird, a few hours.

Ribs, the night before...does that make me strange?
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 am

Nawww, it ain't "just" the Ribs pre-dust :laughing7:
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:59 am

Old used parts

It is the ole drum type. I’m still trying to figure it out. So much air gets in there really hard to keep the chunks of wood from catching fire. I know it’s gonna happen but lord I feel like im running out the door to control flames all day.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am

OUCH, I know the feeling on doing long cooks on there but I love mine when it comes to beer can Birds, Grillings and Ribs aren't a problem either - - - I only use Kingsford Charcoal and AM NOT a Brisket Cook in any form or fashion - - - I leave that to the Stick Dudes :laughing7: :D :lol:

I bought a Pit Boss Pellet Grill a couple years ago to help me with the long/large cooks and I am happy now. :salut:

P.S. I did some insulating and gauge mounting on my Brinkman a couple of years ago but I can't honestly say that it did much good - - - the smoke do ROLL out of all locations still :whiteflag:
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 am

Nice. I love my smoker/grill it turns out some amazing bbq that’s for sure. I’m actually looking to build my own backyard bbq at some point as I enjoy fabricating and welding/brazing. So far I’ve had the butt on for 2.5 hours and I’ve had to control a couple of fires but I’ve managed to keep my temp around 225-260. On my out breaks it’s gotten up to 300 but I quickly cook it off.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 am

[quote="OldUsedParts"]OUCH, I know the feeling on doing long cooks on there but I love mine when it comes to beer can Birds, Grillings and Ribs aren't a problem either - - - I only use Kingsford Charcoal and AM NOT a Brisket Cook in any form or fashion - - - I leave that to the Stick Dudes :laughing7: :D :lol:

I'm going to get you with the brisket program if it kills me...
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

You're starting to sound like my oldest Son now.
Maybe next year, OK ? :roll: :laughing7:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am

OldUsedParts wrote:You're starting to sound like my oldest Son now.
Maybe next year, OK ? :roll: :laughing7:

Unacceptable. This year just began so way too long. How about you and the misses come hang out a couple of days by the pool (In May or so) and we can have a little stick burner tutorial? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 am

Sounds good to me BUT "WE" don't make plans any longer that this ennin and ?maybe? tomorrow morning. Seriously, I would love to get up there and shake your hand and, if you insist on the Stick Tutorial, I'll make sure and bring plenty of sittin and sippin material in order to keep my attention focused. :salut:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:37 am

I see opportunity here…maybe Parts can get Outlaw to eat a proper steak :)

Just pullin’ your leg Outlaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”