I gotta stop breakin' stuff...

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

I gotta stop breakin' stuff...

Postby Txdragon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm

So a follow up with my orthopedic doc today.. 3 months after a double knee scope and kneecap re-alignment (for knees that have bothered me since the Army). I know I didn't take it as easily as I should have after surgery.. I had to work. I gave it 3 days with MINIMAL activity and nothing at all without crutches, then half days at work for a week. My couch has a nice indentation of my butt.. Anyhow.. He says based on current pains and symptoms, I may have torn the meniscus in the right knee..
Tomorrow for the MRI and a possible trip under the knife, pending the results. Sigh..
(Insert witty signature here)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: I gotta stop breakin' stuff...

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Ugh, that sucks. Praying for the best! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 pm

I hope for the best for you my Friend
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 am

Hoping for the best for you.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 am

Ouch, my Chef Pal, not good news but joint reconstruction has advanced greatly in the last several years. Best Wishes and Prayers out for you, Sir. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am

Hope it goes well. PB had a knee thing, PT alone took care of it.
Moink!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

Prayin' for ya TD! I exist with minor tears in each miniscus. No fun, especially when the weather changes!

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Hope it goes well. PB had a knee thing, PT alone took care of it.

I went through PT for my tears. It convinced me that physical therapists are masochists at heart! (No offense intended to any resident PTs we have....I don't mean you. I mean the other guys/gals)

PT: Does it hurt when I do this?
Me: No
PT: Okay, what about if I do this
Me: $%#& yes! Stop it!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am

Sorry for your ailments. Hopefully surgery won't be necessary. I had a co worker that ended up doing knee replacements in both knees. Advances in medicine are truly remarkable, she never had a minutes trouble afterward.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 am

Good luck, TD. I know what's it like. I chose to avoid surgery for my knee problem & went thru many months of PT. I can get around normally these days and even take long walks. But I can't run or kneel down much without facing a few days of pain afterwards.

TX1911: As you know, PT stands for Pain & Torture ;)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks all! I've been through PT, injections, pain management, a few doctors, and 3 surgeons. All the doctors and 2 of the surgeons just hit a stop when x-rays and MRIs showed little. None of them listened. Finally, the last surgeon really looked into what was going on with me and found a couple issues. First off, my left knee.. My kneecap was not properly aligned. There is a 20mm range of tolerance and mine was off by 2 cm. No telling how long this had been so. Then on the day he operated, discovered a tear in my meniscus that wasn't showing up on any imaging. It had torn and flapped. Kinda like slicing a muffin in half then laying it back onto itself. So a chunk had to come out.. He then noticed that the cartilage behind my kneecap was badly worn down from being misaligned, almost down to the bone on near half of it. Again, after nearing 16 years with knee issues, no telling how long this has gone on. Problems started when I was in the military. I had my first knee issue and ended up on crutches. I BET this is when I tore it.
This is an awesome doc and the only one so far and ever that I completely trust. My concern now is supposing this may be an issue that imaging doesn't catch.. Sigh..
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:11 pm

wow, no advice from me; I do wish you good health and happiness
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:33 pm

The only thing I can offer is, do EXACTLY what the doc says, my wife had a double hip replacement about 15 years ago, she did exactly what she was told and still says that's the secret. She's never had any problems what so ever. I'm told the knees are worse than hips, but just do what they say. I know of people that didn't take the docs advise and now have trouble only 5 years down the track. Thinking of you brother.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Well crap.. Got my report back already. Bakers cyst and a patellar subluxation. My poor kneecap is 2.1cm off in the wrong direction and I've had that cyst in the past. It ruptured at one point in time and has reared it's ugly head again in the past 4 months. The subluxation is a common complication of the release that has already been performed. Surgical options are a bit more radical for this fix, though not by too much. Non-surgical options can be explored, but have a super slim chance of success. I should seriously just opt for partial replacements and be done with this mess. So tired of taking pills... So tired of dealing with doctors.. So tired of constant and most times, debilitating pain. :banghead:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm

I can share that a good friend of mine had a knee replacement surgery last year and he said the only thing that upsets him is he didn't have it done sooner. he too was in pain and taking pills; says he feels great now
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Praying for guidance for you in making the right decision for yourself - - - sometimes that can be so hard to do when you're in pain - - - sounds like you've done your homework and have a decent Doctor to get the right decision made. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”