I gotta stop breakin' stuff...

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: I gotta stop breakin' stuff...

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Having you in my thoughts man !
Hopefully the choice you make will be the fix, don't give up !
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm

Rambo wrote:I can share that a good friend of mine had a knee replacement surgery last year and he said the only thing that upsets him is he didn't have it done sooner. he too was in pain and taking pills; says he feels great now

A good deal of time the pain from surgery is more just a discomfort compared to what may be experienced during daily living prior to. I worked with a spine surgeon back in the day and we had lots of patients that had vertebral cage with fusions that complained of less pain after surgery than before. Interesting stuff.
I've begged the last couple surgeons to do something and they've told me I am too young for a total knee replacement. Too young to even consider a replacement. Said I'd miss out on things I would no longer be able to do, or wouldn't be able to do often. I said well heck, I can't do a lot of things now. Lol. In 20 more years, I wouldn't even care. I'm young enough and strong enough now (39) to recover quickly; and have plenty years left to enjoy life to what I can do after replacement.
All I know is I work a job that has me on my feet anywhere from 8 hours to "how in the world am I still awake", and i may have to take some form of pain pills for maintenance afterwards, but it seems now I'm eating them like snack food JUST to get by.. Aaarrrggghhhh!!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:54 am

the worse thing about pain pills is the more you take the less they work :banghead:

wishing you success with this one, Friend :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 am

OldUsedParts wrote:the worse thing about pain pills is the more you take the less they work :banghead:

wishing you success with this one, Friend :tup:

Amen.

I have two kneecaps that don't 'fit.' After a lot of false starts it took one smart orthopedist looking at them from a certain angle to find out. They bother me, but not enough to consider surgery. Though I know people who have had very successful knee surgery and/or replacements.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 am

My Wife had a knee and a hip replaced and the rehab on the knee was quite involved but successful where the hip rehab was basically just time and healing. She has absolutely NO regrets about having them done because they were worn out and degenerating. Looks like she is due for rotator cuff real soon and I hear that the rehab is "Brutal". Neither of us are looking forward to that. :banghead:

One more point that she learned and followed is you MUST do your knee PT/flexing/ETC even tho it's some what uncomfortable because the eventual option is a forced "bending/crunching" that is very painful.

Just some info that I've witnessed first hand.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 am

Praying for you and your doctors bud.

I hate taking pain pills. They screwed me up good when I was taking them for my back. Surgery didn’t cure all my issues but it did help and I’m not popping pills everyday now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 am

Thoughts and prayers your way TXD... Sux when we have the motivation to be active but the body's not willing.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 am

So an update, since I forgot to yesterday. We went with injections. Doc is going to be out of town for a while, he is heading to Kuwait until July. Given his absence, we both really felt that the reconstruction that should be done would not have the proper followup. Injections haven't done well for me in the past, but can provide super short term relief. My clock is ticking though because they've never lasted more than 3 weeks. Launching a new restaurant Monday. Well, cleanup and organization. Final health inspection is slated for the 20th. Need my knees to be able to keep up with the new place, and I dunno how they're gonna hold. **big sigh**
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:04 am

TD I am a high school football injured knee guy, 50 years ago, and had a cartilage removed, I never seemed the same after that at age 16. I reached the point that pills, alcohol, and most other concoctions did not relieve the pain. I went through the total replacement by a now retired orthopedic doc, he said I qualified as the worst he had ever seen. Yes the rehab was tough but the physical terrorists (therapists) did their job well, and taught me to take the pain meds just before terrorism(therapy) class. I am happy to report all the pain was very worth the gain four years ago...
good luck with your decisions...
Last edited by spacetrucker on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am

One step at a time, Chef, AND use your "steps" wisely until you can get the newer model installed :tup: :salut:
SMOKEYJIM44
Pilgrim

Postby SMOKEYJIM44 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 am

Rambo wrote:I can share that a good friend of mine had a knee replacement surgery last year and he said the only thing that upsets him is he didn't have it done sooner. he too was in pain and taking pills; says he feels great now

Same deal with my wife and the knee replacement. Within about a month, she was back pretty well to normal as far as getting around unassisted, just not too much at a time. :shock: :cheers:
Back in Texas, at last !!!! :texas:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am

I don't think we're going to do a full or even a partial replacement. I think he would consider a PFJ (patella femoral joint) replacement first. That's my primary issue anyhow. They were maltracked for YEARS and the damage shows. There's only mild damage at the knee compartment itself, enough to give me grief, but not really enough to justify robo-knees. Lol!
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 am

Tx, please make sure your shoes are the best quality possible! That's one thing every doctor told me. Sometimes also, knee wraps gave me some relief by helping to support my funny infrastructure.

Hoping for a great outcome.
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Tx, please make sure your shoes are the best quality possible! That's one thing every doctor told me. Sometimes also, knee wraps gave me some relief by helping to support my funny infrastructure.

Hoping for a great outcome.

Yeah, I've got a good pair of Skechers work shoes. Also have some fantastic braces. Donjoy tru-pull. They'd be like 200 bucks each, fortunately my insurance covered them 100%.

Return to “General Discussion”