Where do we all work

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Where do we all work

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Williep wrote:
Pic7.JPG

Is that fresh, brackish or salt? AND what a great place for your G-babies to hang out :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm a retired engineer now, previously working in aerospace (and a few other industries, prior to that). Most of the stuff I worked on are not household names. However, if anyone ever flies in an Airbus A350 jet, it constains some of the equipment I developed.

Here's a picture of one of my last offices and of some of my lab equipment, when I was working:

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Williep wrote:
Russ wrote:Great pics everyone, Willie I like the jetty wood work, is it finished yet?

Russ

Russ, if your talking about the pier, it's something I did one weekend about a year or so ago.

Pic7.JPG

Lol, pier, ok, we would call it a jetty, but nice wood work. Is it your private pier? It would have taken me a lot longer, wife still gives me stick about our deck, 3 months to do that,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:I'm a retired engineer now, previously working in aerospace (and a few other industries, prior to that). Most of the stuff I worked on are not household names. However, if anyone ever flies in an Airbus A350 jet, it constains some of the equipment I developed.

Here's a picture of one of my last offices and of some of my lab equipment, when I was working:

Air New Zealand have a lot of air buses. I read an article just the other day about the French company bringing their new plane here to try to sell them here. I like the Airbus. Cool job you had btw.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:56 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Williep wrote:
Pic7.JPG

Is that fresh, brackish or salt? AND what a great place for your G-babies to hang out :tup: :salut:

If your talking about the one with the pier, that's a fresh water pond in Columbus, Tx at my MIL's place and yes, the grandkid's have a ball up there.

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Russ wrote:
Lol, pier, ok, we would call it a jetty, but nice wood work. Is it your private pier? It would have taken me a lot longer, wife still gives me stick about our deck, 3 months to do that,lol.

Russ

Russ, that's a fresh water pond on my MIL's place in Columbus, Texas. I did half of it one day and I had help the next.

Pic1.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Oops, Willie, I thought that was behind your Casa :whiteflag:
Is the "Hilltop Inn" still in Columbus ?
Had some great friends that lived there the Segers and Kubalas :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Williep wrote:
Russ wrote:

Russ

Russ, that's a fresh water pond on my MIL's place in Columbus, Texas. I did half of it one day and I had help the next.

Pic1.JPG

Amazing, I'd keep in good with your mil, great place to raise kids, you are very lucky, my mil has been gone just over 20 years, I still miss her, we got on really well.
You might end up,there one day.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Russ wrote:
Air New Zealand have a lot of air buses. I read an article just the other day about the French company bringing their new plane here to try to sell them here. I like the Airbus. Cool job you had btw.

Russ

Thanks Russ. Some of it was quite a bit of fun, like taking a test vehicle out to a local racetrack to simulate airplace accelerations on the ground. :D
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:
Russ wrote:

Russ

Thanks Russ. Some of it was quite a bit of fun, like taking a test vehicle out to a local racetrack to simulate airplace accelerations on the ground. :D

Just love that speed when the plane takes off, normally always means good times ahead.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Oops, Willie, I thought that was behind your Casa :whiteflag:
Is the "Hilltop Inn" still in Columbus ?
Had some great friends that lived there the Segers and Kubalas :tup:

"OUP", the Hill Top Inn is probably not there any more, :dont: I didn't start going out there till 1972 and I never went into town unless I needed something and I still don't unless I need part's or go to the feed store. We are south of I-10 on FM 102, Eagle Lake exit, about 4 miles south of Alleyton. Here's a link I found from a 1957 paper, if you have time to read it, that toward's the end it mention's the Hill Top Inn. http://www.coloradocountycitizen.com/editorial/article_1e30f464-832e-11e1-83ad-001a4bcf887a.html

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks Willie, I didn't expect it to still be in operation or even standing and I doubt they'd ever turn a Honky Tonk into a Historical Marker - - maybe Hysterical Marker however - - - I enjoyed the link also :tup: :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:59 pm

After 20 years of turning wrenches, I finally gave it up. Sold my tools, ( most of them ) and cut my losses.

Then worked at a place in Jersey that took brand new Crown Vic's, Exploders, 1 Ton E-350's, Impalas, and imposter Taxis and in about 3 days they were official NYC Police Vehicles. We would get a contract of about 400 vehicles every year. They were striped and then, they were loaded on a car carrier to NYC.
The demand was getting higher each year and I finally burned myself out.
I was the guy that did the ( Tie Ins ).
Thats where every wire, connection, etc etc get connected to the ( brain ) and that was usually in the trunks.

Being 6'6", let's just say every night I walked like I was 109 years old.
In 2004 we got married, then on our Honeymoon at Disney I got sick for a week. Two weeks later I find out I have Mono... Mono at any age is bad, but at 34 it's harder to get better. I was pulled out of work 3 times over the next 18 months. It wiped me out and since then, my immune system is almost non-existent.
It was time for a change so I decided on this ↓↓

I left there after buying a brand new Sabrett Hot dog Cart, opening up a business 6 days a week at a college campus parking lot.

It was a good gig for 3 years till we finally had a house built in the Poconos in 2007 and that commute pretty much ended that business a few years after that.

Then I took a temporary job working for a restaurant supplier driving a reefer straight job and reefer van.
About that time the wifey and I opened up our ring business in 2011 ( woodenvisions ) which is still going strong 7 years later. We manage our orders at night and on weekends because during the week we both work full time. Deb does Accts Payables and Receiveables for a major lighting company ( Lutron ) and I Drive for a pretty big company called Hale Trailer. They supply trucking businesses with trailer parts, rent trailers, repair trailers and even build dump truck bodies from square one. It's pretty physical, Brake Drums and Landing Gear get heavy after a while but we're both happy to have jobs. The plan is to be able for 1 of us to stay home so we can get our little guy out of daycare, but it's not that easy unfortunately.
They are great to him, and he likes it there, but we really want to have him home if that makes sense.:(

It's pretty Kool to see the different stories on here, so kudos to you for this thread !
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 pm

You bet it makes sense - - - it's almost a lost living style, Pal, hope Y'all get it figgered out :tup:
Thanks for that brief personal history :salut:
SmokerMike7715
Wrangler

Postby SmokerMike7715 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 pm

I’ve not got the history as many in the job field however,
In 2006 straight out of high school i became a sales person for Rainbow vacuum cleaners was making great money worked that full time went to school full time completed a dual BA in business management and marketing management. By the time I was finished with school my wife girlfriend at the time called me up in feb 2009 and told me she was being her niece (age 1) to live with us as she was taken from her bilogical parents. She gave me an out but there was no way I was leaving I loved her niece to pieces as if she was mine. So I became a Dad in 2009. Still selling vacuum cleaners but by this time I was running the office was a distributor for the company. Few short years later all I had worked for running my own office and making fantastic money the office was pulled out from under me and I found my self jobless for about 6 months I would find odd jobs to make ends meet at this time we had just found out we was expecting our first biological child. Finally found a steady job a month before our daughter was expected to make her entry. Working at infiltrators systems cleaning material to make septic tanks. From July 2010-May 2013 inworked there before leaving and going to work at Toyota manufacturing in Georgetown Ky. Been there now for 5 years. Raising a family for 3 as we had a little boy in October 2016.

Hobbies for me include watching my kids play sports and demolition derby as I build and run in the derbies.

Oh and we have raised our niece as ours she’s 10 now calls us mommy and daddy.

Return to “General Discussion”