Outside oven/bbq identification help

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

806Farmer
Pilgrim

Outside oven/bbq identification help

Postby 806Farmer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Hello from west Texas. Can someone shed some light on this photo? I am not sure if it is an outside oven, some kind of BBQ etc. I bought a house last year and this was built on the side of a canning kitchen/work room. I have not really messed with much due to being busy. Anyone know what it looks like it was built to do? BBQ brisket etc? Can I bake a pizza in it? I have not inspected the chimney yet to check functionality. Any help is appreciated, I really do not know much about it. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
bbq.JPG
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Outside oven/bbq identification help

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. Here are my observations from your pick:

1. Ditch the lighter fluid
2. No matter how much smoke you throw on that baseball it will still taste like leather.
3. That is a really cool dog!!

As far as the other thing I got nothin’ but I bet somebody will be along to help.

Sorry for the jokes but it’s been a long week :) that setup looks cool, I hope you can use it and post lots of pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
806Farmer
Pilgrim

Postby 806Farmer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:57 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Welcome to the forum. Here are my observations from your pick:

2. No matter how much smoke you throw on that baseball it will still taste like leather.

As far as the other thing I got nothin’ but I bet somebody will be along to help.

Sorry for the jokes but it’s been a long week :) that setup looks cool, I hope you can use it and post lots of pics.

1. I am an amatuer with the BBQ. I will look into into it!
2. They are not bad boiled.
3. Thanks, he is trying to show off his "good hair day".

Thanks, I am excited to get use out of it once I figure out how exactly. Sorry the phot is sideways.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 pm

If you click on the photo, it goes right-side up.

Cuuuuute dog, impressive oven.
Moink!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm

806Farmer wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]Welcome to the forum. Here are my observations from your pick:

1. I am an amatuer with the BBQ. I will look into into it!
2. They are not bad boiled.
3. Thanks, he is trying to show off his "good hair day".

Thanks, I am excited to get use out of it once I figure out how exactly. Sorry the phot is sideways.[/quote]

Lol - great responses. On my phone the photo came through correct.

When you bought the house did they give you any insight into how it had been used?

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:10 am

Better late than never - - Fixed the Pic for you :tup:
BBQDog.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:12 am

Have you had a chance to see if any or all of the 3 areas at the bottom open into the Chimney or not ? :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
806Farmer
Pilgrim

Postby 806Farmer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Have you had a chance to see if any or all of the 3 areas at the bottom open into the Chimney or not ? :dont:

All three are connected to the chimney. At first I thought the bottom was just for wood storage, and the top part(concrete shelf) may have had the actual oven at one time. The house is 67 years old so I thought that was a possibility.
But what do you think since the three areas are connected to the chimney?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:47 pm

To be perfectly honest, Farmer, I am without a "Clue" - - - there seems to be NO SMOKE or SMUT on any of the bricks on the inside and surely they would be almost black if used very much. I might have been an idea that ?someone? had that never got used ?OR? finished. It also might have been like a Chimenea and used to gather around at night in cooler weather :dont: One thing for certain tho - - - It Is Beautiful and has possibilites :scratch: :texas:

Return to “General Discussion”