Suthern Sightseeing Surprise

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Suthern Sightseeing Surprise

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 am

First of all let me apologize for the length and number of pic but I just had to share this with Y'all. :salut:

The following story and pictures were possibly my favorite day of the 5 day trip, altho every day was great. Thursday morning we left Monticello headed for Eureka Springs, or so that's what the Wiffy thought. Little did she know that her oldest son (the chauffer) and I had devised a plan to go East, several miles out of the way, and surprise her with a visit to the town she grew up in, Dumas Arkansas. The surprise went great and she never had a clue until she saw the Dumas City Limits sign. Of course we went by every house and location she wanted to see including the old drug store where she worked as a teenager (yes they had drugstores back that far)
IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

During our little tour of Dumas, her son asked her to tell us how to drive down to Pickens Arkansas for a look see and she did. Pickens was a town that was started, ran and pretty much Owned by the Pickens Family.
http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e ... tryID=6602

The phrase "I owe my soul to the Company Store" was just exactly that back in the day of that thriving Plantation. He paid his workers in script and they shopped at His Store with it.

First we drove to the old Pickens Mansion and her son and I really got into this. The mansion, as you can see was is bad repair and is probably on it's last leg cause no one lives there or takes care of it any longer.
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

While we were drooling over the presence of the Spirit of the Old South, I noticed a Red Camilla Bush by the corner of the pillared Porch with two beautiful blossoms. Low and behold when I went to take a pic of one of the blossoms, it fell off right into my hand and into a glass of water for my Sweetheart. Must have been a Pickens ghost that did that.
IMG_0010.JPG

The original store burned down but was rebuild and is the red brick building across the tracks. I took some pics inside the store and could smell the fried chicken and fish they were preparing in the Cafe's Kitchen but it was too early for us to eat and we needed to get on the road and make up some time.
IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

This is what most of the country looked like for several hours of driving. They had started preparing some of the land but some of last years crops were still waiting to be turned under for this years crop.
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

THANK Y'ALL FOR DROPPING BY - - Y'ALL COME BACK NOW YA HERE :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Suthern Sightseeing Surprise

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 am

One more funny story and I PROMISE I'LL QUIT

While I was standing by the car gazing at that old mansion I said
"Can you imagine what it was like on a summer night when there was a party going on and the Suthern Belles were gathering here for the Festivities?"

The Wiffy sitting in the back seat replied:
"I went to school with one of the Pickens girls and have spent the night there and been to parties there"

Don't think I've ever felt more like a Tourista than that moment. :banghead: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for sharing the photos and stories. What an awesome surprise for your wife. Quite the trip down memory lane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Americana- those things will be lost with future generations. It's a shame but yesterday means nothing today; we live in a " NOW" society and time rolls on.

I appreciate very much you posting this and giving me personal pleasure with the pictures and stories behind it.

God Bless America
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:40 pm

My pleasure fo sho, Sir, and you are spot on with it becoming lost forever. Sadest part is it's "Their Loss" and they don't even realize what they're loosing or missing. :( Family Roots and Ancestral History can't compete with I-Pad and Computer Generated Fiction and therefore, Reality is also becoming a thing of the past. :angryfire:

I'd better go lie down now. :D
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks from me as well, I appreciate the pics and the stories. Sherry must had quite a childhood growing up around there. And going to parties there. Amazing!!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Rambo wrote:Americana- those things will be lost with future generations. It's a shame but yesterday means nothing today; we live in a " NOW" society and time rolls on.

I appreciate very much you posting this and giving me personal pleasure with the pictures and stories behind it.

God Bless America

Amen and thanks, OUP, for the virtual road trip. I saw a ball of red string. Made my snowy day. :D
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Great pics, OUP! Thanks for the tour.

Return to “General Discussion”