Garden Time

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Garden Time

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:43 am

I may have to re-plant some things but that's life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 am

Rambo wrote:I may have to re-plant some things but that's life

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that's Gardening in Texas :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:13 pm

The local Everything store has some plants out now, but only lettuce and kale. No collards, no chard. Besides, we got six inches of snow Monday.
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:The local Everything store has some plants out now, but only lettuce and kale. No collards, no chard. Besides, we got six inches of snow Monday.

We don't grow a lot of that down here. maters, taters, peas, cucumbers, peepers, and as my friend OUP says, Own-Yuns
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Garden Time

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"][quote="Rambo"]The electric fence will keep out the deer and coyotes; now Bear, I don't think so. :laughing7:
I didn't meantioned the biggest obstacle...

ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS !!!
We don't grow grass up here in the Poconos, we grow ROCKS unfortunately. ..
Took me all day to dig 2 three foot deep holes for stair footings years ago, so it's pretty much the main reason I don't own a tiller and try a garden.
I'm contemplating making something for the back deck in a corner for a small ( deck ) garden space.[/quote]

Buy an Earthbox? We've got three...one's earmarked this year for collards, kale and chard.[/quote]Thx Sailor for that thought.
I was thinking I could make something because I got my hand on 15 brand new pallets for free.
But after looking at the Earth boxes, I might just go that route and buy a few.
Looking forward to our own Mater's, Parsley,Mint and whatever else we can grow from the deck.
We had a Topsy Turvy years ago and that thing grew MONSTER Maters, they were incredibly good.
Then, in a bad wind storm, it took flight from the deck and got destroyed.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Rambo wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"][quote="Rambo"]The electric fence will keep out the deer and coyotes; now Bear, I don't think so. :laughing7:

ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS !!!
Took me all day to dig 2 three foot deep holes for stair footings years ago, so it's pretty much the main reason I don't own a tiller and try a garden.
I'm contemplating making something for the back deck in a corner for a small ( deck ) garden space.[/quote]

You need to look at that website I posted: my Friend grows BUNCHES of stuff in those boxes[/quote]Rambo,
Awesome site and great deals, especially when you but the 10 pack :)
I think I'm gonna go this route.

I thank Sailor and yourself for setting me in the right direction :)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:15 am

Go for it! If you grow maters, get a couple of small whirligigs from a dollar store and put them in with the maters...also strips of anything shiny that can flutter in the wind (like a shiny mylar balloon maybe).

Last year, the birds would gouge one bite out of a mater and the whole fruit would rot. The above is supposed to scare them off. We did have pretty good success otherwise growing them in containers. Beans 'n' peppers, too.
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 am

Good luck with your garden, Rambo! We have to wait till it feels like spring here before we can put out any plants (and no more snow would be a good start)

WV: The best thing about the Earth Boxes (& similar planters) is that they're "self watering." They have a relatively large water reservoir and you don't have to fill it every day (unless you have the box filled with full grown tomatoes and temps are way up high). Standard containers tend to dry out a lot faster. We use a mix of both. I can't see going back to inground gardens again.

Also, the Earth Boxes we use have wheels, so you can move them around to follow the sun, if you have a lot of shad in your yard.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Can you guys not buy what we call here top soil, soil that's been screened and ready to plant stuff in. We have natural soil here but we add npk which is in strawberry food etc. nitro phosphates give a really good boost to soil. My wife started her garden with a wooden box and she added soil and fertiliser to get things going. We have winter crops in ATM. Caulis cabbage broccoli etc. still picking chillies from the mini greenhouses.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Rambo, Sailor & PB.

Thank you all for putting me on the right track. I'm gonna order a few next month and see what kind of veggies we get.

Russ, we have Access to top soil, but the problem I have is every spring we have a ( new ) group of rocks that pop up thru the ground so a really nice green grass yard is out of the question. If we spend the big $ on top soil for the the yard, it would just be a waste of money unfortunately.

We live in an area that's considered sacred tribal grounds and it's been said that its part of a place that's called Boulder Field in Hickory Run State Park which is about 20 minutes away.
Look into it, it's great history about a glacier that formed a 400×1200 ft field of boulders.
We go every now and then and walk the rocks and in some spots if you put ur ear toward the ground, you can hear the water and streams below.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:53 am

woodenvisions wrote:
Rambo wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"][quote="Rambo"]The electric fence will keep out the deer and coyotes; now Bear, I don't think so. :laughing7:

ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS !!!
I'm contemplating making something for the back deck in a corner for a small ( deck ) garden space.

Wooden, I mention this with some sober hesitation and the usual disclaimer of "don't try this at home"; but for rocks and stumps and such a good friend of mine is able to pick up this really useful stuff called "Tannerite" at the local Academy sports store (at least you can in Texas). If makes short work of demolishing many things, including stumps, rocks, dirt, woodpiles, feral hogs, friendly relations with yer neighbors, etc. Just a thought....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pigs.html
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I know it's Autumn here and winters not far away, but I just picked and ate 2 late raspberries from my plants. Man are they so sweet. I've just planted another 4 plants as I love raspberry jam and coulis. Looking forward to a good crop this summer.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm

First Cucumbers
Attachments
cukes.JPG
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Yellow Crookneck Squash starting to make
Attachments
yellow Crooknecks.JPG
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 am

woodenvisions wrote:Rambo, Sailor & PB.

Thank you all for putting me on the right track. I'm gonna order a few next month and see what kind of veggies we get.

Russ, we have Access to top soil, but the problem I have is every spring we have a ( new ) group of rocks that pop up thru the ground so a really nice green grass yard is out of the question. If we spend the big $ on top soil for the the yard, it would just be a waste of money unfortunately.

We live in an area that's considered sacred tribal grounds and it's been said that its part of a place that's called Boulder Field in Hickory Run State Park which is about 20 minutes away.
Look into it, it's great history about a glacier that formed a 400×1200 ft field of boulders.
We go every now and then and walk the rocks and in some spots if you put ur ear toward the ground, you can hear the water and streams below.

My wife grows tomatoes in big pots and also in hanging baskets nailed to our fence. I know what you mean about rocks popping up out of the ground here too, one of my first jobs was making stone pickets. I'll see if I can find a pic for you. Our boulders are small to huge.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “General Discussion”