Garden Time

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Re: Garden Time

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 am

Cukes and squash! :cheers:
Moink!
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun May 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Ok ya'll. Got a question for you Tomato experts.
Ive have failed miserably before on trying to grow them. Just about the time they would get close to ripening our weather would turn cold and wet and they get blight. :whiteflag:

This is my last try at them. I tried the upside down trick in 5 gallon buckets before with no luck.
I planted them a month earlier this year and got them in a wagon on the deck so I can keep them in direct sunlight all day and I can wheel them under our 3ft roof overhangs if it looks like rain.
Question....do you snip off the suckers and if so when do you start snipping. :?:

IMG_6334.JPG
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun May 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Bill, my wife is an expert at growing tomatoes. What I have observed is this
She propagates from seeds from chosen tomatoes from the previous year ones that are sweet and juicy, she does this 3 months before the start of summer, we keep them in a hot water cylinder cupboard. When they are growing they are planted on a shelf undercover out side then left to harden up before transplanting outside. She also covers her bets by buying a few for planter boxes like you have, she put tomatoe fertiliser on them . She daily picks crops and while doing so picks buds off. Best day last season was 3 kg in one day. We made 40 litres of tomatoe sauce and 15 kgs of tomato relish. Not to mention about 8 litres of tomatoe pasta sauce from her tomatoes, we made that with oregano and basil also from her garden. We use everything up,over the winter which is due next week. Hope this helps, my wife's a really good gardener, she's still picking chillies from her green houses.

Russ
Last edited by Russ on Sun May 20, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun May 20, 2018 7:02 pm

We also tried the upside down hanging baskets that showed a picture of massive tomatoes hanging from them. Fake news fake advertising, complete nil results. Won't be going down that road again.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Very nice Amigo. Had a huge garden when we lived in Mississippi. It was so productive that you could hear stuff growing - it would keep me up at night. 8)
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am

Bondo, I hear completely opposite opinions about suckers. Some say get rid of them, others say it makes no difference. We've tried it both ways, and now we don't bother.

Are the tomatoes getting enough calcium? Ours are prone to blossom end rot when they are calcium-deprived. We just buy calcium pills at a dollar store.

PS: Those two plants look really nice! And when we got rid of suckers, we'd just pinch them off by hand.
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 23, 2018 5:58 am

On BondoBill's " Spring" thread , Russ asked what's growing in the picture below. I have 19 tomato plants; 6 of Brandywine, 6 Big Boys, and 6 Homestead. I have 6 Yellow Crookneck Squash, 12 Burpless Cucumbers, 6 Green Bell Peppers, 6 Hot Large TAMU Jalapeno's, and 6 Cayenne Pepper plants. I'm going to post some pictures of the Cayenne's because I'm going to venture to say there might be Folks here that have never seen it straight from the garden.
Attachments
IMG_0761[3682].JPG
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 am

Oh, and a row of Sweet, 215 onions
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 23, 2018 6:05 am

Good ol East Texas Fertility Pic - - - been a while but I still miss the experience and my little tiller that I used to play with. :tup: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 23, 2018 6:15 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Good ol East Texas Fertility Pic - - - been a while but I still miss the experience and my little tiller that I used to play with. :tup: :texas:

LOL, I hear'ya Brother When we bought this place, 56 acres, I had 3 separate spots, Each about 1 acre. Then it dropped to 2 spots, then one big spot, and alas now, my little 5 row, 1/8th of an acre spot
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 am

To me there's no better green beans than those you have "just picked" from your garden. The same goes with squashes, ,okra and those often lost new taters. Add a little cream sauce and watch out. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 23, 2018 7:36 am

I’ve grown all that in the past; after messing with the potatoes for several years I determined it was much easier to go to the farmers market and get what I want. The one thing you can’t hardly find are fresh Pintos, totally different than The dried Pintos you buy at the store
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am

Do they grow and shell like Purple Hull Peas :?:
I raised some Pinkeye Purple Hulls one year that were almost addictive but I haven't ever seen them in the markets. :dont:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 am

Nice set-up, Rambo! :tup:
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Do they grow and shell like Purple Hull Peas :?:
I raised some Pinkeye Purple Hulls one year that were almost addictive but I haven't ever seen them in the markets. :dont:

Yes, exactly. they are just bigger than a purple Hull

Return to “General Discussion”