SPRING NATIONALS

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

SPRING NATIONALS

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 am

Anyone on here going to the NHRA Spring Nationals in Baytown next weekend?

My Brother and I are heading over from San Antonio early Saturday just for the day. Catch a full day of qualifying and head home that night.
still putting a plan together,

our last trip two years ago we were baptized by Nitro and were able to stand on the starting line between two top fuel dragsters.
that was awesome!! Don't think we are going to able to top that experience.

Ric G
Last edited by TwoGuysBBQ on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: SPRING NATIONALS

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:09 am

I think my Bud from Baton Rouge is traveling over with some other Buds and I ?may, just may? meet them at their Hotel Room for Breaksfast and B.S. - - - but I won't be sniffing the Fun this year. You and your Bro, enjoy, Ric :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:14 am

Wife and I have been trying for the last 4 years to make Baytown. We make at least 1 race a year outside of Ennis. Baytown either sneaks up on us or like this year friend and family obligations keep us home. Enjoy, I've heard a lot of good things about that property.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

I can't imagine standing between 2 of those things at the starting line. Just watching them from the stands is the most awesome display of horsepower that you will ever see on rubber. Not going to be able to make that show. But, I will be going up to Paige on the 25th for the World of Outlaws show at Cotton Bowl Speedway.

Have fun
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Grailsback, it was an experience for sure, Theres a video on nhra Facebook. here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/NHRA/videos/10 ... 8364232983
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:19 pm

You're lucky the NHRA hits there early. They come to NorCal right around the borderline of July and August. It's just plain ugly hot at that point, sitting in the seats with no shade in 110 degree heat. I know how food on the grill feels after that experience, LOL.

2007 was the last time I went. As said, the heat is just too much, and the Sonoma Raceway has some pretty bad access... Just MILES of one lane road. 3 hours to get to the interstate freeway after a NASCAR or NHRA event is fairly common.

Got to see John Force spank his daughter in the finals that year though, LOL. We were about 6 rows back and 100 yards down the strip from the starting line. GREAT seats. You could literally feel the engines at the starting line from there. As a retired mechanic, I think I enjoyed touring the pits even more though. LOVED the banner hanging off the truck for the Snap-On Tools rail car; "I use Snap-On Tools because I drive 300 MPH" :mrgreen: :tup:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 am

If they don't change up the parking I should be parked straight out from the ticket box office. Look for a silver Ford F-350 SWR with a receiver hitch table and umbrella, the umbrella now is striped blue. I just had surgery a couple of weeks ago so I probably want be cooking in the parking lot this year but we will have plenty of snacks and adult beverages, I'm still taking it easy with very little lifting. We will be going all three day's and hanging out at the truck off and on, so if you get a chance, look me up, you will be welcome to anything in the cooler's.

"OUP", over the year's we have met a lot of people from across the river that come to the races, we may have met your buddy's before, ask if they sit in the Top Eliminator Club.

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.JPG
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 am

Only one more week !!!!! :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:26 am

Hey WillieP, no way to find out about my Cajun Bud because I just now saw this and they are already there. I had planned on coming over for a brief visit and hand shake but this A-Fib has muddied my waters a tad. I'm in the process of getting the water clear again but it may be a while. This Storm should be gone and leaving Y'all alone for fun and frolic by Noon I hope. :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:46 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Hey WillieP, no way to find out about my Cajun Bud because I just now saw this and they are already there. I had planned on coming over for a brief visit and hand shake but this A-Fib has muddied my waters a tad. I'm in the process of getting the water clear again but it may be a while. This Storm should be gone and leaving Y'all alone for fun and frolic by Noon I hope. :salut: :texas:

Races aren't till next weekend.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 am

OOPS - - my Bad - - - I'll see if I can get some Info from Nolan as to where they'll be perched and if yo don't mind, I'll give him your location info ????
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 am

He has been informed, Sir, HEY, I hope your rehab and healing from the Surgery is going as you wish it to. Good LUck. :tup: :salut:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:51 am

OldUsedParts wrote:OOPS - - my Bad - - - I'll see if I can get some Info from Nolan as to where they'll be perched and if yo don't mind, I'll give him your location info ????

The pic show's about where we park and the seat's I get each year are, T-43, U-42 and U-43 in the Top Eliminator Club.

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:19 pm

It's been a great two day's so for, one day to go.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 am

Well we had an excellent time at the racetrack with all the sights and smells of Nitro in the air. We were only there for a few hours on Saturday but had a blast.
Looked for Williep but was unable to find him, I should have asked for your cell phone Sir. Would have been nice to meet you and your crew of fellow race fans.

Was able to watch the finals from home, already planning on next year for a full weekend and taking an RV.

Ric G.

Return to “General Discussion”