Too Cantankerous for Costco

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Too Cantankerous for Costco

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Actually, I'm really too Country for Costco, altho I went there today, per the Wife's instructions and bought three of the Dessert Cakes/Pies for the Rehearsal Dinner. It's not my kinda of store at all but I was doing pretty good humoring the War Dept UNTIL the CASHIER TOLD ME that they did not accept Master Card :roll: It took a second for me to even speak but I finally asked her to repeat that. YUPPERS, Master Card no woik in Costco. My first impulse was to just walk away and split with no purchases, however, the Wiffy was waiting patiently right beside me and I remembered that I had a Bank Pulse Card that was a Citi Card so I used it.

When we got outside I very nicely let SWMBO know that I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING THERE AGAIN and further more I have NEVER had a store refuse my Master Card and I have used it in more than just a "few stores" in my Life. JEEZE :banghead: :dont: :x
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Too Cantankerous for Costco

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah i use my Mastercard everywhere too but I'm not alone..........got the new one today after being hacked for the umpteenth time...... :dont:
tarde venientibus ossa....
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Yea Costco has an exclusive deal with one of the CC companies. Can’t remember which one. They told me when I signed up but I try to just use my debit card there. Although stocking up a wedding party, I can see how a CC would be needed.

Did you at least get a $1.50 hot dog and coke? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Sounds larapin, HOWEVER, the Wiffy had me pick up some Quiche there and we nuked some when we got home "yuck" :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Where we live, Costco won't even let you in the door unless you're a member. No looksee, no shop.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Same here, Sailor, you see - the Wiffy got a Card a couple months ago and I got a Helper Card off of her membership - - Whoopie :roll:
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm

It is a membership store so you have to pay the membership fee to get in. Citibank is the cc company but it is the best way to get money back. I have a friend that gets 3k per year back from them for using that card. Pays it every month and no interest.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:00 am

Simple solution here; just use cash or a debit card. :P I'll stay off my Dave Ramsey soapbox though, LOL.

Costco used to have an exclusive credit card arrangement with a different card, AMEX IIRC, so it's nothing new for them. The giant monster evil megabank just offered them more money to get in their doors. They're not the only store with that kind of arrangement either.

Costco's products and merchandising I have a love hate relationship with. About half the store is great, and the other half is complete crap. Generally I avoid their "Kirkland" store brand stuff, but there's a few exceptions there; Mayo is decent, and their Ibuprofen is cheap and works. I go thru alot of it with my bad back and neck too. Meat is good, here anyway. Far better than the local grocery stores. The bakery is horrible. Gotta watch their frozen section. One of their stores out here is lazy about stocking stuff. Once saw a whole pallet of fish sitting outside the freezer at room temperature.

Every set of drinking glasses we've bought from them has cracked or melted in the dishwasher too. :angryfire: Clothes are generally pretty good but their jeans have gone downhill the last year.

Oh yeah... Merchandising... Most of the stores love to play hide and seek with product placement. Force you to explore the store in hopes you'll find more to buy. Fat chance here; it just chaps my hide. Bread has been the worst in my experience. I've seen it moved all over the back half of the store out of the bakery area, and NO JOKE, even up on the edge of the pharmacy area up front.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed May 16, 2018 4:44 am

As of 2016, the only credit cards Costco accepts are Visa cards. Costco also accepts cash, checks, debit cards/ATM, Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) and Costco Cash Cards. Costco's change to Visa came as a surprise to many, since the retailer had a deal to accept only American Express cards since 1999.

I love Costco.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 am

Well, as they say in "Shark Tank"

"I'M OUT"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am

We, unfortunately, frequent Costco. I like their Kirkland TP and paper towels, and the wife approves of their diapers. As others mentioned, the meat is really very good. I picked up two pork bellies a couple of weeks ago.

That being said, if I was at a different life stage, I wouldn't subject myself to the torture.

Question: Are the people at Costco around y'all completely oblivious to others? I.e. leave their cart sideways in the aisle so no one can pass, or walk down the main aisles 3 people (same group) wide at a snails pace?

Maybe I just need to be more patient.....
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed May 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Costco regular here.
I used to hate going there. Just didn't have any spare time to deal with it.
Now that I have the time the wife and I go monthly. We buy all of our shops office supplies there. Sometimes we need 2 carts.
One thing Ive found is I need to go in there in the right state of mind. "Relaxed" !!

I like the meat dept. a lot. Also some of the Kirkland brand booze is quality stuff. There Canadian blend whiskey is every bit if not better then CR and is half the price. Rumor has it that it is made by CR.

Bill
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm constitutionally averse to paying for the right to shop in a store (ie, a membership fee). That said, near us there's a Costco competitor, called BJs, that offers free 3-month membership, in local ad circulars. So we do go there on occasion for the few things we feel are good deals. They used to have good meat but not recently.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 am

We shop Costco every two weeks and love it.
There are some items that can save real money, such as paper towels and leather furniture.
We bought a leather sofa for under a grand that would have cost much more at the local furniture rip off joints.
Their food court giant hot dog and soda fountain drink comb for $1.50 is fantastic and their fresh hot pizza is also very good.
Got a great deal on a 24in PitBoss Kamado and they have good prices on pellets for my pellet spitter too.
At the end of the year we get a rebate check from them that more than pays for the yearly membership fee.
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 am

I'm a Sams Club member (through my work) and they used to have the same problem. Can't remember if it were MC or VISA they wouldn't take, but I have one of each so it really didn't matter. They now finally take both.

I've never been in a CostCo just because there hasn't ever been one close, but they are building one as we speak about 15 min from my house. I like Sams, so I'm curious about becoming a CostCo member as well. :dont:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.

Return to “General Discussion”