Once Iconic, now Forgettable...

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Once Iconic, now Forgettable...

Postby woodenvisions » Sat May 19, 2018 11:11 am

Haven't had much time for anything but take out or PB&J lately, but a few days ago I was excited that I'd be hitting a customers account in Lyndhurst Nj.
I wasn't excited about being in Lyndhurst, but excited to be only 8 minutes from one RUTTS HUT in Clifton Nj.
We'll, it's been years, more than 10 at least, possibly 20 idk ?

From what I remember, the ( Rippers ) we're amazing, but after this visit I will Never step foot in that place again. Lady behind the counter had the personality of a bag of hammers !!!
The place was run down, only 1 customer in there besides me at 330 in the afternoon on a weekday is a far cry from what that joint used to have.
There was an odd odor that I can't place, I just know it wasn't a car freshener scent that Glade would look to use.
The parking lot was riddled with potholes and litter and the ( rippers ) we're probably the worst hotdogs I've ever had. I was able to down the first 2 fairly easily, but by the time I got to the 3rd, the bread was almost stale and the ripper was almost like Jerky.... Grrrrr, I don't get it...
I was expecting a +10 but got something near a -1....

I'm shocked at how a business that had the entire state in the palm of thier hands could let it get to this point.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this because I know that not long ago, I was praising this place on here and I remember that my neighbors Sailor and PB said that they've wanted to try this place.
All I can say is that 10/20 years ago you'd love it, but now I would warn you to not waste your time, fuel,wear and tear on ur car or your $.

I'm not the type to talk negative about a food establishment, but this is beyond forgiveness.ImageImage
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Once Iconic, now Forgettable...

Postby Russ » Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Don't look appetising to me!!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Aww, that's sad to hear, WV. Years ago, I remember seeing a TV program about Rutt's Hut and it made me really want to go there for a Ripper.

But thanks for the warning. Maybe the ownership or management changed. Maybe it's the inevitable result of time and taxes?

Oddly enough, today we tested a replacement for Allen Bros. steak dogs (since AB has priced itself beyond our reach) that worked very well. Even on the grill, they look almost like Rippers.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Yo Pocono Pal, so sorry to hear of your Fiasco Food, especially being a Ripper. :banghead: That's almost illegal in the Dawg World. To me they don't look like they had enuff time in the Bathtub . :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Sorry to hear about Rutt's Hut decline, WV. I guess we'll cross them off our "to visit" list. It's not uncommorn for a well-known restaurant to slowly decline and just live off it's reputation. As Sailor suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or more changes in ownership (and certainly management).

So we did our own grilled dog test today, on the small Weber gasser. We tried out Boar's Head Natural Casing Knowckwurst, which turned out as good as Allen Bros. Steak Dogs (both are 1/4 lb each), at a fraction of the price. Now we know what we're serving. along with burgers, on July 4th.

Here's what one of these dogs looked like, along with some beans and potatoes:
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat May 19, 2018 8:03 pm

“Personality of a bag of hammers?” :D

Me thinks someone needs a big glass of sweet tea.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat May 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I’ve heard it said a person could have “a personality as sweet as vinegar” or “the bedside manner of Dr. Jekyl” (my FORMER proctologist was like that, he must have had an operation to remove his sense of humor), but this is a new one I will have to rip off.

It’s hard to cook good commercial consistently in the first place, doubly hard to do it and endure for decades. Most often seen it in businesses where the original visionary who cared and built the business had to one day turn it over to others. Always sad when that happens.

Then there are others. There’s and old story of a woman in Texas who built a famous barbecue business over many many years. When she got old, she vowed the business would die with her and not be carried on in mediocrity afterwards with others living off her name and reputation, and that’s exactly what happened, she took her techniques and recipes to the grave with her.

I think it all boils down to the idea that if yer gonna do something, try to be the absolute best at it, or else don’t even do it at all.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:14 am

Sorry to hear that WV. I’ve had times like that in my life when I revisit an old favorite only to find out it went to crap. Kinda depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:14 am

Dang PB, that dog looks good!

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am

bsooner75 wrote:Dang PB, that dog looks good!

On PB's behalf, thanks.

WV...we went and Yelped Rutt's. Evidently, at least the management changed, maybe around 2016? Many Yelpers had the same reaction as you, and me tioned the 'former manager, John,' who was loved by all, friendly, helpful, welcoming, etc.

This might explain some things.
Moink!

Return to “General Discussion”