is any one

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:25 am

Stay safe, what did you end up with overnight? (BTW I don't miss living up there either)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:28 am

so far we only have about 5" or so but it is still coming down how are the rest of you I the wintery wonder land doing?
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:03 am

Ours turned into about 1/2 inch of sleet and ice. Schools just delayed two hours. House down the street caught on fire. Looks like right around where the fireplace was.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 am

It's 10:29 am and we have about 6 1/4 inches on the back stoop. It's still coming down! School is closed and Les is at home, too. No plow trucks have been by and I can barely tell where the road is but these neighbors keep leaving anyway. lol

Oh Laura, I hope the family is ok! One of my daughter's classmates lost everything in a house fire last Sunday. That has to be so devastating!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:38 am

Allie,
Apparently the fire started in the kitchen. Due to wiring issues, I think. I heard the sirens at 5:30 this morning and thought they sounded awfully close! Apparently the house is a total loss. The bad thing is, the wife just lost her brother and the funeral is tomorrow! They have several teens and a little dog, and all escaped unharmed, but didn't even have time to grab shoes! But I know they will be taken care of. I'm waiting to find out sizes for everyone, to see if there are things we can give them.
Fires are my worst nightmare!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 am

Wow, thoughts and prayers to that family.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:03 am

Prayers going out for that family, Laura. And for the classmate, Allie.

I remember when my grandparents and uncle from Nebraska were visiting us one January/February, many years ago. They'd been here only a few days when they got the call their house had burned. Only things left were the brick walls. It wasn't until I got older that I realized how much family history was lost. :(
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Laura, that is so tragic! My heart is with them during this time. Ash's classmate's bus driver is taking up donations. Since this was a 3 day week for Les (shortage of jobs with the housing slump), I don't know how much we'll be able to help but are going to try to do something.

Rob, my great-grandmother's house burned last fall in a thunderstorm. It was struck by lightning. Since it was so far out in the country with no really close neighbors, it was too far gone by the time someone saw it and called the fire department. They were cleaning it out so a cousin could move in so I'm not sure what all was lost except a beautiful antique dining room suite and an old sewing machine. The actual machine was still there because it was cast iron but the rest of it burned and of course, it was completely ruined. I know she had a lot of pictures, and some genealogy research that another cousin had done but am not sure if they were already out of the house or not. I would love to get my hands on that research one day! It is really sad when you think of everything that is lost in a house fire. I have so many memories of going to visit her in that house.

Return to “General Discussion”