NextDoor.com

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

NextDoor.com

Postby rms827 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 am

I'm going to have to be careful with this post given my current level of disgust. My experiences have been so bad that I've deliberately stayed away from almost all internet communication just to avoid the negativity flowing into other sites & email.

OK, so for those not in the know, NextDoor.com is a sort of social media site for individual neighborhoods. They have sub-sites for neighborhoods all over the country, and you can discuss news and issues related to your community. They even verify your identity and address so they know you're not a troll from out of the area.

I'm curious if anyone has had the same experiences I have with them. I have a friend that moved to Oregon and is dealing with similar issues there with NextDoor. Most of it is just California / Left Coast mentality I hope/think. Two thirds of the problem is that the site has been taken over by stereotypical bored housewives (and using that term does a major disservice to actual housewives). They think the site should only be used to discuss garage sales, lost pets, and for virtue signaling about how much empathy they have for the homeless (Not actually helping them though).

My specific neighborhood is really at a tipping point. It's not a good neighborhood anymore, but it's not truly a bad one by any means either. I've tried to get neighborhood watch programs and park clean ups organized, get the police to be more responsive, etc... I've been battled at every turn. Personal attacks of all kinds, attempts to get me kicked off the site, posts deleted, etc... I ask a few questions that the city council doesn't like either, such as why it costs 10 million dollars to build a new firehouse when the city already owns the land. The average house in the area is $300K by the way.

That friend in Oregon that I mentioned has been more of a consumer advocate with the local HMO providing third world level service and constantly screwing up paperwork and tests. He's fairly conservative too, definitely NOT an Obamacare type. What did he got for his trouble? Other ND members actually called the police on him for inviting similar minded neighbors onto the site.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: NextDoor.com

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:43 am

OK, I'll step out and venture a "BRIEF" Comment - - - "In todays World the Social Cyber Hangouts ?usually? are self-serving, bias and political" so my advice would be "Run Forrest Run" - - - - Good Luck in whatever you decide. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:29 am

OldUsedParts wrote:OK, I'll step out and venture a "BRIEF" Comment - - - "In todays World the Social Cyber Hangouts ?usually? are self-serving, bias and political" so my advice would be "Run Forrest Run" - - - - Good Luck in whatever you decide. :salut:

You realize THIS is a Social Cyber Hangout in the broadest definition of the term, right, OUP? :laughing7: :mrgreen:

Kidding aside, I already deactivated my account on that site. I already listed the issues, won't repost em. I mainly asked out of curiosity if the insanity was in EVERY Nextdoor sub-website, or just on the left coast. Beyond that, I don't need the aggravation. I have a classic car for that. :mrgreen:
Rec Tec 680

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:43 am

A VERY WISE CHOICE, my Friend - - - - "Life is too Short to deal with that nonsense and spinning wrenches is much more fun" - - - Good Luck :salut:
Please excuse my injected humor :bow:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 am

rms827 wrote:I'm going to have to be careful with this post given my current level of disgust. My experiences have been so bad that I've deliberately stayed away from almost all internet communication just to avoid the negativity flowing into other sites & email.

OK, so for those not in the know, NextDoor.com is a sort of social media site for individual neighborhoods. They have sub-sites for neighborhoods all over the country, and you can discuss news and issues related to your community. They even verify your identity and address so they know you're not a troll from out of the area.

I'm curious if anyone has had the same experiences I have with them. I have a friend that moved to Oregon and is dealing with similar issues there with NextDoor. Most of it is just California / Left Coast mentality I hope/think. Two thirds of the problem is that the site has been taken over by stereotypical bored housewives (and using that term does a major disservice to actual housewives). They think the site should only be used to discuss garage sales, lost pets, and for virtue signaling about how much empathy they have for the homeless (Not actually helping them though).

My specific neighborhood is really at a tipping point. It's not a good neighborhood anymore, but it's not truly a bad one by any means either. I've tried to get neighborhood watch programs and park clean ups organized, get the police to be more responsive, etc... I've been battled at every turn. Personal attacks of all kinds, attempts to get me kicked off the site, posts deleted, etc... I ask a few questions that the city council doesn't like either, such as why it costs 10 million dollars to build a new firehouse when the city already owns the land. The average house in the area is $300K by the way.

That friend in Oregon that I mentioned has been more of a consumer advocate with the local HMO providing third world level service and constantly screwing up paperwork and tests. He's fairly conservative too, definitely NOT an Obamacare type. What did he got for his trouble? Other ND members actually called the police on him for inviting similar minded neighbors onto the site.

I'm in agreement here....I never joined Nextdoor, but there's another well-known one I'm just about to delete. They shout you down. It's all over teh innerwebz. Don't like, so I steer clear.

--from an Actual Housewife
Moink!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:56 am

Our old neighborhood had it. I was on it for a while. But it devolved into attacks against neighbors, vague complaints about what kids were doing.

It was good for a bit. Communicating neighborhood information and if there was a break in or something that needed to be discussed.

That didn't last long.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:58 am

I myself have never ventured on to either sight. My wife on the other hand has and as a result I am aware of the attitudes. Over the last few years, have become quite tight lipped when it comes to my political views. Don't take their calls, rarely express any personal beliefs and will never speak of whom I may vote for. In some small way I and those like me are "what happened". It is really sad that adults (I use that term loosely) can't air their differences with respect and dignity. The overwhelming attitude is you are 100% in agreeance or you are 100% of the problem.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:41 pm

I appreciate the feedback, folks. I'd like to thank Gator and the staff for indulging my question also. It's outside of the realm of normal conversation here, and I know it''s skirting the political a bit also. That's why I didn't go into a ton of detail about the things I've been dealing with in the neighborhood and on that site. Suffice it to say that California is every bit as bad as you hear, and I'm in a comparative "middle of the road "area in Sacramento also. LA and the SF bay area are much worse. Farm country is fairly normal though. I feel for them. I was hoping it was different elsewhere.

*edit* I'll leave the commentary at that. It's a shame that TBF has to have a no politics policy. However, the events on those other sites illustrate EXACTLY why it's needed.

OUP... Spinning wrenches, even on classic iron, is not always fun, LOL. Half the parts for my AMC can only be bought from 3 different sources nationally. Far cry from working on a classic GM or Ford. I'll cut the rest of that rant short also, LOL. :mrgreen:
Rec Tec 680

Return to “General Discussion”