Hopefully, I didn’t bite off more than I can chew!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 pm

A very very good friend of mines mother passed away and he asked me to help him cook. I said Yes, what ever you need me to do just bring it over...he brings me 2 13 lb briskets, a butt, and about 70 lbs of chicken. I need to have ready at the dinner location this Sat at 1 pm. Butt and Brisket no problem, just worried about the chicken. I’m cooking on a 24X40 Gator pit. Buts and Brisket will go in The cambro, chicken I’m putting in a foil lined ice chest for transporting and holding until serving. My worries, when to put the chicken on ? (Cook Time needed). I’ll be cooking overnight briskets will go on about 9 pm. Do I have enough time to do it all??

Thanks
Trufunk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Hopefully, I didn’t bite off more than I can chew!

Postby Rambo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Hang tight trufunk, there are some pros here. You might try to private message TxDragon, he's a pro along with others here. Grailsback cooks a bunch
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Rambo wrote:Hang tight trufunk, there are some pros here. You might try to private message TxDragon, he's a pro along with others here. Grailsback cooks a bunch

Thanks Rambo!

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 pm

What temp are you cooking the chicken at? I run 275 and they're usually in the neighborhood of 2 hours (half chicken with frequent checks for color, etc).
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 pm

TX1911 wrote:What temp are you cooking the chicken at? I run 275 and they're usually in the neighborhood of 2 hours (half chicken with frequent checks for color, etc).

I’ll be right around there for the duration of the cook.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 pm

trufunk - TX1911 knows yardbird
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:28 am

good luck with this Trufunk - - - I had the same meat preps back in May for my oldest Son's Rehearsal Dinner and "having everything warm and juicy when it's time to eat" is definitely the hardest part - - - I pre-cooked my Pulled Pork and Brisket and did the Chicken a couple hours before time to eat - - - I kept the warm chicken in a pre-warmed cooler with the re-heated meat on top for transport - - - - "Brining" sure helped keep the bird moist :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 am

OldUsedParts wrote:good luck with this Trufunk - - - I had the same meat preps back in May for my oldest Son's Rehearsal Dinner and "having everything warm and juicy when it's time to eat" is definitely the hardest part - - - I pre-cooked my Pulled Pork and Brisket and did the Chicken a couple hours before time to eat - - - I kept the warm chicken in a pre-warmed cooler with the re-heated meat on top for transport - - - - "Brining" sure helped keep the bird moist :tup:

Thanks! That’s my fear also keeping it warm until serving.

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm basing this off of the assumption that you're spatchcocking or halving the chickens, so let me know if that's not right.

I would, once you hit your target temp, let the bird cool about 15 degrees to stop the cooling. Then wrap each individual piece in foil before putting it in the cooler. It will help them stay warm as you pull them out.

Just know that, even if you don't wrap each one, just putting it in the cooler will result in some steaming, which will soften the skin and it will be chewier than otherwise. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it won't be that crisp fresh off the grill bird.

Take some pictures and share with us!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 pm

TX1911 wrote:I'm basing this off of the assumption that you're spatchcocking or halving the chickens, so let me know if that's not right.

I would, once you hit your target temp, let the bird cool about 15 degrees to stop the cooling. Then wrap each individual piece in foil before putting it in the cooler. It will help them stay warm as you pull them out.

Just know that, even if you don't wrap each one, just putting it in the cooler will result in some steaming, which will soften the skin and it will be chewier than otherwise. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it won't be that crisp fresh off the grill bird.

Take some pictures and share with us!

Thanks hadn’t thought about wrapping each one, great idea. Briskets and butt is on now, probably gonna put the chicken on @4 am.

trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:24 am

Put the chicken on, the first batch, briskets and butt is wrapped.

trufunk USER_AVATAR
trufunk
Wrangler

Postby trufunk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 am

6:38 AM still going!Image

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:59 am

:cheers: I can almost smell that last pic :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:38 am

He's a'holes and elbows right now, stressed out . I'm gonna bet he pulls it off.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 am

Me too - - - to me this is the hardest part of a multi-cook, especially when you add da bird "Yikes" :salut: :cheers:

Return to “General Discussion”