S.O.S. NOT K.I.S.S.

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

S.O.S. NOT K.I.S.S.

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:31 am

I have become addicted to homemade (NOT store bought) Salsas, especially Roasted Salsa. Therefore, I have created a Monster that raises it's Head every time I run out. For this endeavor not to be a Meat Fixin, it still took about 4 total hrs to complete. Of course this is just a drop in the 5 gal bucket that Outlaw uses to make his batches of this stuff.
After the Jars cool, I'll find out if it was worth it this time. :dont:
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Re: S.O.S. NOT K.I.S.S.

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 am

Dang that looks fantastic! I want to know.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 pm

thanks, C.P. :salut: - - I just sampled some with a chip and I'm happy with it. I was hoping to get a tad more heat and I did so I guess my old childhood homies would say that I "Gotta Flocky" :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Sure looks pretty! :chef:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:30 pm

thank ya, Mam :salut:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 pm

I would like to try making a small batch...just a pint's worth or so. I have peppers growing, but would the tomatoes need to ne Romas?
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 pm

No they don't have to be - - - I only use Romas because they are firmer and have less juice and seeds - - - - don't tell anyone I said this but you can use Rotels (preferably Roasted) with your fresh peppers or whatever - - - - then just sweat the peppers and own-yawns but not the Rotels - - - since it's that small of an amount, you could just frig it and not bother with the canning process. My step-grandson is Hispanic and he loves for me to make him dipping salsa from stewed pealed canned maters, oven roasted jalapenos and chopped sweet own-yawn - - - also remember when you put any maters in the blender just "pulse it" or you'll end up with mater juice - - - get PB to bring home some chips and put it between Y'all as you watch the Tube or the birds outside :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm

One more thing - - - Rarely do I ever use my Salsa for chip dipping :roll: we used to but have gotten out of the habit/mood for some reason, however, I use it almost every day in my Breakfast Taco and other snacks and dishes. :dont:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Use them home grown tomatoes !!!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Home made is always worth the effort, OUP. :D :cheers: Wouldn't be so many cliche sayings about getting back what you put into something otherwise.

Some day we're gonna get the heck out of this crazy neighborhood and state, then I'll have space for a garden and stuff like homemade salsa...
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:30 am

I totally agree but I"m old and lazy, therefore, Addiction is my only reason for enduring the ordeal :laughing7: :lol: :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I would like to try making a small batch...just a pint's worth or so. I have peppers growing, but would the tomatoes need to ne Romas?

Sailor Mam, just one more thing about the way I use my Salsa 90% of the time.
In the morning I put a heaping Tblsp on a saucer along with some Pepper Jelly
IMG_0008.jpg

Mix it well
IMG_0009.jpg

Then I spread that mix on a tortilla that already has some melted Pepper Jack Chez on it
IMG_0010.jpg

Then I top all of that with another tort, a mix of browned owens hot sausage and egg, S&P and cover it with pepper Jack
IMG_0011.jpg

Then Breakfast is Served :salut:

Return to “General Discussion”