Cookin Without Fire

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Cookin Without Fire

Postby Rambo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:24 pm

WTH is a Septic Alarm?
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Cookin Without Fire

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Lol Rambo.
Up here in a lot of areas we have septic systems instead of public sewers, depends on where you live.
Our house is only 11 years old, but the area we live in does septic systems.
Once the septic gets about 80 % full it sets off an alarm in the garage to let is know we should get it pumped in the very near future.
Problem is, when we get really heavy rain for an extended time, the rain seeps thru the ground and eventually backfills into the septic and sets the alarm off.
What happens is the ( pump ) that pumps the " liquids " into the sand mound can't keep up with the ground water that's coming in.
It's something that we all deal with every once and a while.

Rambo wrote:WTH is a Septic Alarm?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:59 pm

I gotz one of those as well; had a low pressure dosage system installed when we moved out to the Firefly. I get it pumped every 3 years. Only went off one in ‘15, when we got so much rain I started calling around, looking for gopherwood. We went to the gym for three days to shower until it could catch up and pump itself out.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:09 am

I was raised using Septic Tanks and Leach Fields BUT I certainly don't miss them either :roll: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 am

Luckily we have a quick fix if it becomes too much. We have a high water table where we live so our sand mounds have 3 vent pipes on each end. In severe cases, all we do is turn off the pump by a switch that is mounted outside of the house, then unscrew one of the caps from one of the vent pipes, and then turn the pump back on.
It will pump ALL of that rain water out to the lower side of the property in about 10 minutes or less.
It's kind of wierd to drive around the development and see random guysers in people's backyards lol.

Then, all we do is put the cap back on and we're good to go.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 am

I grew up and still have a septic tank. It I’ve never heard of an alarm, your field line should take care over the overage
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Cookin Without Fire

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:28 am

Yup, all the houses have them up here.
Remember, this is PA were talking about, lol..
For example, we couldn't buy just 1 six pack til last year. We had to buy minimum of 2, but here's the kicker...

If we wanted 3 six packs, we had to take 2 to the car and then come back for the 3rd, lol..... No lie.

As for the pump, in not a fan of it running constantly thru the night so I'd rather use the vents to quickly drain the rain water.
Rambo wrote:I grew up and still have a septic tank. It I’ve never heard of an alarm, your field line should take care over the overage
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 am

Ours doesn’t have any pumps, just gravity flow and about 2 or 300 ft of field line. Are you talking about 6 packs of beer? We have officially hijacked Boots thread
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:59 am

Rambo wrote: We have officially hijacked Boots thread

Not a Problem - - - Yesterday when I got back from the Mailboxes, I decided to check the outside temp " A LA BOOTS " - - - so I got my meat thermometer and pointed the probe at the Sun (taking care not to look directly into the probe or Sun) - - low and behold it showed 103.7 - - that was at 4:30 pm so I imagine that we reached 104 to 105 easily. :roll: :(
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Rambo wrote: We have officially hijacked Boots thread

Not a Problem - - - Yesterday when I got back from the Mailboxes, I decided to check the outside temp " A LA BOOTS " - - - so I got my meat thermometer and pointed the probe at the Sun (taking care not to look directly into the probe or Sun) - - low and behold it showed 103.7 - - that was at 4:30 pm so I imagine that we had reached 104 to 105 easily. :roll: :(
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:45 am

Rambo that’s hot. I remember as a child when they said Death Valley hit 131 and it was “hot enough to fry and egg”. It’s true I have adapted to my location. Grew up in high humidity and heat and wicked cold in the winter. Now it gets hotter in Washington then when I first moved here 24 years ago but I enjoy the milder winters also without poison ivy to boot.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:32 am

Copasspupil wrote:Rambo that’s hot. I remember as a child when they said Death Valley hit 131 and it was “hot enough to fry and egg”. It’s true I have adapted to my location. Grew up in high humidity and heat and wicked cold in the winter. Now it gets hotter in Washington then when I first moved here 24 years ago but I enjoy the milder winters also without poison ivy to boot.

Bet you don’t have many snakes either, a clear benefit. But the mosquitoes?

As fer hijacking I don’t mind, septic tank science is interesting too, just wouldn’t want to be tooling around Wooden’s ville w the ragtop down on a convertible during spouting geysers season. Reminds me of Carl Spackler pumping out the gophers...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOzMePY4h0
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:37 am

Small rattlers on the Eastern Washington only side. The mosquitoes are not very active like the midwest ones...Ours are really only active at night. Those midwestern ones are brutal over there.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:55 am

Lol, sorry for the hijack as well.
U guys are buggin me out talking about snakes, we have plenty up here and i cringe when I see one of our neighbors kids playing in the tall grass... I mean c'mon, is it really that hard to cut the grass so ur kids can actually see where they're playing.
You guys should look up Hickory Runs " Boulder Field ,".
Not only is it a really interesting part in history, but it's only about 20 minutes from us.
We've gone a few times, but never in the hot hot summer days. I've heard reports from the Rangers that it's common for the Rattlers and Copperheads to " sun bathe " on the giant rocks...

Snakes are one of my biggest fears, I don't even like worms lol. Imho, NOTHING should have that type of movement! As for the skeeters, this time of year we have very active blood sucking drones that are the size of mini Apache Copters. I'm pretty sure they'd drain me dry in one sip if they had a successful hook up lol..

As for the guysers, you really don't smell anything because all ur doing is draining the ground water. The man made or female made liquids are long gone already deep into the leach field so all that comes out is rain water. I'd NEVER drain actually septic , that would be pretty nasty.

Return to “General Discussion”